As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
Java Edition Beta 1.8
Adventure Update (Part 1)
September 14, 2011
Beta 1.8, the first release of the Adventure Update, is a major version of Java Edition Beta released on September 14, 2011, which introduced features that focused mainly on fighting, exploration, and adventuring, as well as other aspects.
- Spawns one silverfish when broken.
- Has no name.
- Drops their corresponding mushroom
- Drops itself when destroyed.
- Connect to fences.
- Open when used.
- Stone brick stairs now drop either stone bricks, cracked stone bricks, mossy stone bricks or a type of stone bricks, which looks regular, but does not stack, when broken due to the data value (facing direction) carrying over:
|Stair Data Value (Direction of the stairs' full-block side)||Dropped Item|
|0 (east)||Stone Bricks|
|1 (west)||Mossy Stone Bricks|
|2 (south)||Cracked Stone Bricks|
|3 (north)||Stone Bricks, does not stack with other stone bricks.|
- Restores 6 () hunger.
- Cooked raw chicken.
- Restores 3 () hunger.
- Dropped from cows.
- An item which doesn't serve any purpose in the game for now, and had an uncentered icon.
- New seed type that grows melons.
- Can only be found in abandoned mineshaft chests.
- Restores 2 () hunger.
- Harvested from melons.
- Can be used to get melon seeds back.
- New seed type that produces pumpkins.
- Cannot be obtained from a pumpkin as of now, only available in abandoned mineshaft chests.
- Smaller variant of spiders.
- Has a chance of poisoning the player
- New tall mob.
- As a placeholder, endermen used zombie sounds.
- Are able to teleport and pick up blocks.
- Changed from the last pre-release so now they have purple eyes instead of green eyes and emit portal particles instead of smoke particles
- A small hostile mob.
- Adds to the player's total experience when collected.
- Entity ID is
- Plays low-pitched item pickup sound upon collecting.
- The support beams are wood planks.
- Unpopulated as of now.
- Do not generate naturally.
- Can be artificially created by applying bone meal to a brown or red mushroom.
- New fractal-based biome code.
- Biomes got an overhaul, adding and removing some biomes while making all of them more vast than before. Biomes became more distinct terrain-wise, and most biomes were made to be much flatter than before.
- Larger than before.
- Larger than before.
- Extreme Hills [note 2]
- Replaces old mountains (generated structures).
- Wolves now spawn more often.
- No longer generates with snow due to problems with the new generator.
- Has an exclusive type of oak trees with vines.
- Flows through/in between biomes.
- Only available in creative mode.
- Press space twice to toggle flying.
- Added: "Kill a skeleton with an arrow at 50 meters".
- Hold-to-charge bows.
- Critical hits.
- Players can parry with a sword by holding Right Mouse
- Hostile mobs perform attack animations.
- Mobs killed by players drop tiny flashing experience orbs that add to the experience bar.
- New food system.
- There is now a food meter.
- Food no longer heals directly, but indirectly: if the food meter is above 90%, heals every 4 seconds.
- Food level decreases when sprinting, jumping and when being hurt.
- If the food meter is at 0%, the player starves and loses hearts every 4 seconds.
- Do not show off particles.
- They do not have inventory sprites.
- Added obtainable status effects:
- Added unobtainable status effects, but are functional:
- Added unobtainable and nonfunctional status effects:
- New way to travel.
- Gives the player a boost in speed.
- The player can now jump four blocks horizontally while sprinting.
- Updated Mojang logo.
- Performing a critical hit on any mob will cause 'sparks' to fly.
- Explosion particles are now shockwaves instead of smoke.
- Tiny stationary bubble particles can be seen when underwater.
- Fog is now thicker and darker deep underground, and gives off particles. Due to this, the void appears black.
- Added the following splash text:
- Jeb has amazing hair!
- Casual gaming!
- Kinda like Lemmings!
- Follow the train, CJ!
- Leveraging synergy!
- This message will never appear on the splash screen, isn't that weird?
- DungeonQuest is unfair!
- Check out the far lands!
- Tyrian would love it!
- Also try VVVVVV!
- Also try Super Meat Boy!
- Also try Terraria!
- Also try Mount And Blade!
- Also try Project Zomboid!
- Also try World of Goo!
- Also try Limbo!
- Also try Pixeljunk Shooter!
- Also try Braid!
- That's super!
- Bread is pain!
- Read more books!
- Less addictive than TV Tropes!
- More addictive than lemonade!
- Bigger than a bread box!
- Millions of peaches!
- This is my true form!
- Totally forgot about Dre!
- Don't bother with the clones!
- Hobo humping slobo babe!
- User-placed leaves no longer decay.
- Can now be placed on fences
- Improved model for when the torch is placed on walls.
- Eating food now restores hunger instead of health (but keeps the same amount).
- All food items (except mushroom stew) are now stackable.
- Now takes 1.6 seconds to consume, accompanied with an animation.
- Damage in accordance with the charging time.
- Now restores 8 () hunger instead of 10 health.
- Now restores 10 () hunger instead of 20 × 10 health.
- Now gives the player the Regeneration status effect for 30 seconds.
- Animals no longer despawn which makes it possible to capture them.
- Arrows that hit a mob visually "stick" into the mob rather than just disappear.
- Passive mobs will randomly flee if attacked by the player or other mobs (such as wolves).
- Now drop experience when killed by a player or a tamed wolf.
- Removed the mob as an entity.
- Its AI is the only thing that remains of the mob.
- Changed bounding box height from 0.4 blocks to 0.7 blocks
- Now drop 1 raw chicken.
- If on fire, they drop cooked chicken instead.
- Now fire arrows slightly slower to be consistent with the change of the bow.
- Their arrows are shot with more force.
- Now hold full-size bows.
- Skeleton arrows originate from about their eyes to the bow, instead of above the head.
- Changed the terrain generator.
- No longer generate due to the change of the world generation.
- Removed Rain Forests.
- Removed Seasonal Forests.
- Removed Savannas.
- Removed Shrublands.
- Removed Tundras.
- Removed Ice Deserts.
- Ice deserts did not generate in previous versions, so their removal was not noticeable.
- Creative mode can now be accessed using the "create new world" screen, and no longer requires a code modification to access.
- Some code rewritten.
- New creative inventory GUI.
- Looks similar to survival inventory, with drag and drop interface.
- Some non-block items are now available in the inventory.
- Grass is now available in the inventory.
- The player can drag items and blocks outside of the GUI to spawn them in dropped item entity form.
- Previously, it was not possible to do these things in creative, but now is:
- Kill/damage mobs
- Kill/damage players who are in survival mode
- Break bedrock
- Take damage (via falling out of the world)
- Mobs now spawn, previously, they would only spawn in Survival mode.
- Holding the left mouse button with a weapon will now only swing once.
- Holding the right mouse button to place blocks is slightly slower than before.
- ⇧ Shift+Clicking the output item in a crafting square will craft all the items at once, and automatically places them in the inventory.
- Player list in multiplayer, defaults to Tab ↹.
- Height raised to the top of the map.
- Can no longer phase through blocks.
- Movement now syncs with the game's time.
- Unarmed damage was decreased from 2 to 1 (reverting to the behavior from before Beta 1.5).[note 3]
- The game now keeps track of damage sources and types.
- No longer requires chunk updates and is a smooth transition.
- The lighting on a block is given a tint based on the most prominent source of light
- Reddish from artificial light sources.
- Artificial light now gives a very subtle 'flicker'.
- Blue from moonlight.
- Total darkness keeps the same black tint.
- Sunlight gives the same white tint.
- Reddish from artificial light sources.
- Changed to be less volatile.
- Armor bar moved to above hearts, due to hunger bar.
- Improved lighting system.
- The 'Multiplayer join screen' has been improved, mainly with a server list.
- Clouds change color during sunrise and sunset to match the sky color.
- Horizon, specifically haze changes color more vividly during sunset and sunrise.
- Mobs are no longer visibly labeled with their entity ID
- The world's numeric seed is displayed in a field below player position.
- Changing fog by hotkey now requires debug-view to be open in addition to pressing F.
- The version tag appears in-game again.
- The main menu's background is now an animated scene.
- The version tag is now displayed on the bottom-left rather than the top-left.
- New sliders for Field of View and Brightness.
- 4 new entries in control list
- "Attack", "Use Item", and "Pick Block" can now be remapped.
- Operators can switch back and forth between survival and creative mode.
- Removed duplicate "Check it out!"
9 bugs fixed
- The ⇧ Shift + Click crash bug from 1.8 Prerelease 2 is fixed.
- Fixed redstone circuits not working after
/time set xglitch is now fixed in multiplayer.
- Destroying boats and minecarts now creates particles.
- Ghast attack sounds are fixed multiplayer.
- The Far Lands have been removed; there is now only void.
- Fixed stairs, cactus, and trapdoor items being too big.
- Fixed the "smart farms" glitch where the hitbox of a fence would extend past the hitbox of tilled soil and prevent it from reverting to dirt when walked on.
- Fixed several crash bugs relating to pistons.
- Increased the z-buffer from 8-bit to 24-bit, fixing graphical issues with AMD graphics cards.
- Now called Melon Slice.
- Now called Mountains.
- This change occurred between the last development version for Beta 1.8, Prerelease 2, and the full release of Beta 1.8.
- "Minecraft Beta 1.8" – MCUpdate, September 14, 2011, Tumblr
- "BIG NEWS! We have found the SEED of Minecraft's title-screen background PANORAMA!" – u/Tomlacko on Reddit, July 18, 2020
- "Also, if you want to, you can make mods able to enter creative mode on a server running in another game mode." – @notch, June 28, 2011