|Catches fire from lava||
No[Java Edition only]
Ancient debris is a rare ore found in the Nether, and is the main source of netherite scrap. It floats on lava in item form and it cannot be burned by any other forms of fire. It also has an extremely high blast resistance, meaning it cannot be blown up under normal circumstances.
Ancient debris generates in the Nether in the form of mineral veins. Up to two veins may generate per chunk: one vein of 1–3 ancient debris attempts to generate with a periodic normal distribution (similarly to lapis lazuli ore) from levels 8 to 22, and an additional vein of 1–2 ancient debris attempts to generate randomly from levels 8 to 119. There is an average of 1.7 ancient debris blocks per chunk, with a normal maximum of 5. However, it is technically possible for up to 13 ancient debris to be found a single chunk; adjacent chunks can generate veins on the border with up to 2 blocks spawning in an adjacent chunk. Ancient debris never generates naturally exposed to air and can only replace netherrack, basalt, and blackstone. On average, y-level 15 has the most ancient debris.
Ancient debris drops as an item if mined by a diamond or netherite pickaxe. If mined by any other tool, it doesn't drop anything.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
|Ancient Debris||Bastion remnant||Generic chest||1||2.2%|
|Hoglin stable chest||1||2.9%|
|Ancient Debris||Bastion remnant||Generic chest||1||2%|
|Hoglin stable chest||1||2.9%|
|Netherite Scrap||Ancient Debris +
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||?||16|
|fallen on[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||fallen on[sound 1]||0.5||?||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||?||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||?||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||?||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Hidden in the Depths||Obtain Ancient Debris||Nether||Have ancient debris in your inventory.|
|1.16||20w06a||Added ancient debris.|
|20w16a||Ancient debris now generates in bastion remnants chests.|
|1.16.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Added ancient debris.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Ancient debris now generates in bastion remnants chests.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Smelting ancient debris now gives experience.|
- Despite ancient debris' rarity, emerald ore is actually rarer due to its vein size, specific biomes, and chance per chunk.
- The texture of the ancient debris is supposed to look like pressed metal plates.
- Ancient debris yields the most experience of any item when smelted.
- Ancient debris is actually what remains of the mining activity of the piglins, who extracted all the original netherite ore.
- The generation system explicitly attempts to place ancient debris where it will not be exposed to air. However, ancient debris can very rarely be exposed by later generation processes.
- "ok so the ancient debris is supposed to be packed metal plates in a block" – @JasperBoerstra, March 12, 2020