|Can generate in
Mineshafts generate naturally in the Overworld; they are usually found underground but some can be found in the ocean. They are generated before chunk features such as ores. As with other features, multiple mineshafts can generate near each other and intersect, producing larger complexes. They can also intersect with other cave systems. Corridors will generate a floor of wooden planks if they cross over empty space.
They can also generate on the surface in badlands biomes. These mineshafts are composed of dark oak planks and fences, rather than oak. Cave spider spawners and various wooden pieces will not generate if above ground (i.e. the sky light where they generate is 8 or more), and generated railways will be more complete above ground.
Abandoned mineshafts consist of:
- A starting point - a large room with a flat dirt floor, an arched ceiling and up to four exits (one in each direction, although, sometimes it generates in a way for up to five entrances.)
- Corridors - 3×3 block corridors featuring supports made from oak fences and wood planks (sometimes complementary with torches), broken rails, minecarts with chests (containing resources) and cave spider spawners surrounded by cobwebs. On long corridors, supports are placed four blocks away from each other, and some have a missing plank on the middle. Underground tunnels can have imperfections on the upper side, sometimes occupying the area of the missing plank.
- Crossings - intersections with wooden pillars, sometimes two floors tall. They occupy a 5×5 spacing.
- Staircases - diagonal sections of tunnel.
Each mineshaft chest contains items drawn from 3 pools, with the following distribution:
|Stack Size||Weight||# Items||Chance||# Chests|
|Enchanted Book[note 1]||1||—||—||10⁄71||—||—||0.141||14.1%||7.1|
|Enchanted Golden Apple||1||—||—||1⁄71||—||—||0.014||1.4%||71.0|
- All enchantments are equally probable, except treasure enchantments, and any level of the enchantment is equally probable.
- 'Nothing' does not refer to the chance of an empty chest. Instead, it refers to the chance that the random loot generator will not add any loot on a single roll.
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.8||Pre-release||Added abandoned mineshafts.|
|Pre-release 2 ;)||Mineshafts are a lot less dense and don't stretch out as far as before.|
|To counter this change they were made 2.5 times as common throughout the world.|
|1.8.1||Support beams in mineshafts are converted from wood planks to oak fences.|
|1.2.1||12w05a||Added wooden bridges under floating sections of mineshafts.|
|1.4.6||12w50a||Added enchanted books in abandoned mineshaft chests.|
|1.5||13w02a||Changed abandoned mineshaft chests to minecarts with chests on rails.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Mineshafts appear as often as in 1.8-pre1 again, but without any increase in density or size, which makes them 60% less common than before.|
|1.9||15w44a||Added torches, beetroot seeds, enchanted and normal golden apples, and activator, detector and powered rails to minecart chests.|
|Removed saddles and iron horse armor from chests.|
|Decreased the average yields of iron and gold ingots, melon and pumpkin seeds, diamonds, lapis lazuli, redstone and bread.|
|Increased the average yield of iron pickaxes, and substantially increased the average yield of rails and enchanted books.|
|1.10||16w20a||Abandoned mineshafts can now generate on the surface in mesa biomes, using dark oak planks and fences rather than oak.|
|If directly exposed to the sky during generation no wooden parts will spawn at that exact location.|
|No longer generate floating in the air when using a low ground level in a superflat world.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added abandoned mineshafts.|
|Cave spider spawners are replaced with regular spiders until potion effects are added.|
|0.10.0||September 9, 2014||Tommaso Checchi tweeted a picture of mineshafts generated at surface level within a mesa, in a mesa biome.|
|build 1||Abandoned mineshafts can now generate on the surface in mesa biomes.|
|Above-ground mineshafts now use dark oak planks and fences rather than oak.|
|0.11.0||build 12||Abandoned mineshafts now generate with cave spider spawners.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Abandoned mineshafts will now generate minecarts with chests.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Name tags now can be found inside chest minecarts.|
|1.2.0||Mineshafts are now more common.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.11.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Mineshafts no longer generate in giant clusters.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added mineshafts.|
|TU12||Added wooden bridges under floating sections of mineshafts.|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||Abandoned mineshafts can now generate on the surface in mesa biomes, using dark oak planks and fences rather than oak.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- When generated, abandoned mineshafts will cut through the top bedrock layer(s), if they happen to generate at the bedrock layers.
- Mineshafts can generate on top of other mineshafts. If you see two different ones intersecting each other anomalously, they are two different shafts, even if they somehow meet up perfectly elsewhere.
- Mushrooms can be found at the bottom of mineshafts.
A regular golden apple found naturally generated in a minecart chest .
A fossil that spawned above the dirt room/entrance point in a mineshaft.