New Nintendo 3DS Edition
Digital – eShop
|This page describes content that is no longer in the game.|
This edition is no longer updated.
Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition was the version of Minecraft developed by Other Ocean Interactive and Mojang AB for the New Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 2DS XL but not the original Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS, or Nintendo 3DS XL. It was released for the Nintendo eShop simultaneously in North America and Japan on September 13, 2017, hours after its announcement during a Nintendo Direct. The game was finally released worldwide on September 20, 2018, one year and seven days after the original release.
Although the initial release was a fork of Pocket Edition Alpha 0.15.4, it has several additions, tweaks, and missing features compared to that version, and was being developed specifically for the New Nintendo 3DS separately from Bedrock Edition. It has no relation to Legacy Console Edition and is mostly equivalent to Pocket Edition 1.1.5.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition runs at 60 FPS (frames per second) in standard worlds, and 30 FPS in Mash-up worlds.
The New Nintendo 3DS Edition has the following differences from other editions:
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition lacks online multiplayer. Local ad-hoc multiplayer was added in update 1.4.
- World types are Default and Flat. World sizes are Small (672×672), Medium (1344×1344), and Large (2016×2016). The size of a world cannot be changed once it is created. The ratio of The Nether to the Overworld is 1:3.
- Although the height limit is only 128 blocks, worlds can be larger than the Classic and Small world types from Legacy Console Edition.
- There is a mob cap that is much stricter than Legacy Console Edition: only 24 enemies, 24 animals, 16 squid, and 16 villagers can exist at one time. However, there was no cap on experience orbs, so it was possible to intentionally crash the game by throwing too many bottles o' enchanting. This was fixed in update 1.1.
- Instead of including the map item, the map and the player's coordinates are displayed on the Touch Screen. The Touch Screen is also used for inventory management and crafting. The Explorer Maps from update 1.9 are the only physical maps in the New Nintendo 3DS edition.
New Nintendo 3DS Edition includes seven skin packs:
- Biome Settlers Pack 1
- Biome Settlers Pack 2
- Redstone Specialists
- Journey to the West
- Holiday Skin Pack 2015
- Super Mario Mash-up
In addition, there are more skin packs available for purchase in the in-game store:
- Campfire Tales
- City Folk
- Town Folk
- Battle & Beasts
- Star Wars Classic
- Star Wars Rebels
- Stranger Things
- Star Wars Prequel
- Strangers - Biome Settelers 3
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- Magic: The Gatherings
- Halloween Costume
There are four texture packs included with the game:
- Minecraft (default)
- Super Mario Mash-up
In addition, there are more texture packs available for purchase from the in-game store:
There is one mash-up pack included with the game:
- Super Mario Mash-up
In addition, there are more mash-up packs available for purchase from the in-game store:
- Festive Mash-up 2016
- Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the third version of Minecraft which allows players to play together without an Internet connection with one person per system, using the Local Play feature on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Minecraft: Java Edition, Minecraft (Bedrock Edition), and console-based Minecraft: Legacy Console Editions (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and Wii U) need an Internet connection for multiplayer to work with multiple systems, while handheld-based Minecraft: Legacy Console Editions (PS Vita and Nintendo Switch) have the additional option to switch to and from local network play via the main menu.
- New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the only edition that doesn't support 4-player multiplayer, it only supports 2-player multiplayer at max per pair of New Nintendo 3DS systems and it doesn't take advantage of the Download Play feature, meaning each person needs copy of the New Nintendo 3DS Edition to play together.
- Support for stereoscopic 3D on New 3DS systems was allegedly planned for a future update, but is no longer the case due to the edition being discontinued.
- Along with the other editions of Minecraft for Nintendo platforms, New Nintendo 3DS Edition is the most expensive edition of Minecraft, as it is only sold bundled with several add-on packs.
- The game stores the save file in extra data on the microSD rather than as Save Data.
- The reason this was done may be because Minecraft has larger save files than many 3DS games.
- The max world size for this edition of the game is 2016×2016, which is larger than Wii U Edition's world size which is 864×864 despite being much weaker compared to the Wii U.
- This may be because extra data is not subject to the same limits as save data.
- The Bedrock Edition has a physically smaller world size in megabytes than Legacy Console Edition, which allows them to have larger size worlds.
- The internal names for this game were "Proteus" and "Silverfish".
- This edition includes 20 platform-specific splash texts.
- 10 were selected by an Other Ocean engineer who "(hopes) fans find them".
- Of the remaining 10, they are:
- "Coffee! Coffee now!"
- "Don't be that guy!"
- "Go to sleep! Go to sleep! It's time to go to sleep!"
- "Generate me a force field with that computer and a microwave!"
- "Ah, another visitor!"
- "Rise from your grave!"
- "What are you selling?"
- "Rob is jarig!"
- "Don, bear near?"
- "Don't awoo!"
- This is the only edition of the game wherein the splash text is not slanted and above the logo.
- v1.8.13 took up 4,000 blocks on the 3DS's memory (blocks are the spaces on the microSD/SD card for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems)(converts to about 500 megabytes).
- The Festive Mash-up pack is the only Mash-up pack avalaible for download on the in-game Store.
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition for Nintendo 3DS" – Nintendo
- "The adventure lives wherever you go with @Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition, available at stores on November 10th!" – @nintendoamerica, October 28, 2017
- "Minecraft on new 3DS!" – Minecraft.net, September 14, 2017
- "Minecraft is out today for the New Nintendo 3DS" – Polygon, September 13, 2017
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition" – Nintendo.co.uk, July 27, 2018
- "Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition - 1.9" – Minecraft Feedback
- Talk page edit by HelenAngel