April 9, 2014
1.7.6 is an update which implements a new player skin system, and support for player name changing. It is incompatible with 1.7.2 - 1.7.5 servers. It was replaced the same day by 1.7.7 to fix a major bug, and then again the next week by 1.7.8 and 1.7.9. The number settled on was 1.7.9.
- Skins and capes are now distributed through servers.
- Skins server outages will occur less frequently and have less impact.
- Skin changes will no longer require client restarting, at worst re-logging will update the skin for everybody.
- Server-altered skins/capes are not possible - only signed URLs are stored server-side.
- Duplicate skins no longer need to be downloaded twice.
- Server traffic will barely be affected.
- Name changing
- Support for name changing.
- Only the support for changing names, actually being able to change names will come after 1.8 release. 
- The server resource packs option is now per-server, and has three settings: prompt, enabled, and disabled.
- The minimum setting for the FOV option is now 30 instead of 70.
- Improved 'configure' screen.
- Can now OP players from the config screen.
- Easier to invite/uninvite players.
- New button to close/unclose realm.
8 bugs fixed
From released versions before 1.7.2
- – Holes in bedrock and Replaced any block using Arbitrary tnt and flame bows
- – Save-all causes lagspikes on larger maps
From the 1.7.x release versions
- – Child animals obsessed about their parents, even after growing up
- – Broadcast settings - report to Mojang, links to previous bug reporting facility
- – "replace" directive in sounds.json does not work
Hopper: java.lang.NullPointerException: Can't place skulls in multiplayer
- – Almost instant motion sickness due to distorted rendering