Welcome to the Minecraft Wiki, a publicly accessible and editable wiki for information related to Minecraft. The wiki and its 5,452 articles and 11,358 files are managed and maintained by 274 active contributors from the Minecraft community, along with the wiki's administration team. Anyone can contribute.
is a sandbox construction game created by Mojang AB founder Markus Persson, and inspired by the Infiniminer, Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper games. Gameplay involves players interacting with the game world by placing and breaking various types of blocks in a three-dimensional environment. In this environment, players can build creative structures, creations, and artwork on multiplayer servers and singleplayer worlds across multiple game modes.
The computer edition of Minecraft is available to all players for €23.95 (US$26.95, £17.95). When purchased, singleplayer and multiplayer game modes can be played using the downloadable stand-alone launcher. The official demo is free, but has a time limit. Minecraft development started around May 10, 2009, and pre-orders for the full game started being accepted on June 13, 2009. Minecraft's official release date was November 18, 2011. On September 20, 2014, Minecraft for the computer became the best-selling PC game of all time. On May 21, 2017, Minecraft for the computer reached 26 million sales.
On August 16, 2011, Minecraft: Pocket Edition was released for the Sony Xperia Play gaming smartphone. After its exclusivity with Sony expired, it was released for Android devices on October 7, 2011, iOS devices on November 17, 2011, FireOS devices on September 13, 2012, and Windows Phone 8.1 on December 10, 2014 for US$6.99. Since then, four adaptations have been released for Windows 10, the Samsung Gear VR, the Apple TV, and the Fire TV. On December 1, 2016, Minecraft: Pocket Edition reached 40 million sales. On December 19, 2016, Pocket Edition for Windows Phone was officially discontinued.
On May 9, 2012, Minecraft was released for the Xbox 360 on Xbox Live Arcade for US$19.99, where it subsequently broke every previous sales record. This version of Minecraft was subsequently released on other game consoles, including the PlayStation 3 on December 17, 2013, the PlayStation 4 on September 4, 2014, the Xbox One on September 5, 2014, the PlayStation Vita on October 14, 2014, the Wii U on December 17, 2015, and the Nintendo Switch on May 11, 2017.
On February 11, 2013, Minecraft: Pi Edition was released for the Raspberry Pi. The Pi Edition was intended as an educational tool for novice programmers and users were encouraged to open and change the game's code using its API. There were never any subsequent updates and the edition is now officially discontinued.
On September 15, 2014, Mojang AB and all of its assets (including Minecraft) were purchased by Microsoft for US$2.5 billion.
As of February 27, 2017, Minecraft has sold 122 million copies across all platforms, making it the second best-selling video game of all time, and the eleventh best-selling video game franchise of all time.
After a beta testing period, Minecraft: Education Edition was released on November 1, 2016 for US$5 per user per year. The Education Edition contains features that make Minecraft more accessible and effective in a classroom setting.
- Purchase the computer edition! (Demo)
- Purchase the Pocket Edition!
- Purchase the Console Edition!
- Purchase the Education Edition!
- Information on achievements that can be collected in Minecraft.
- Information on advancements that can be collected in Minecraft.
- Detailed information on the various blocks available in Minecraft.
- Detailed information on the various items available in Minecraft.
- Information about all biomes in Minecraft.
- Information about enchanting.
- Information about the various friendly and non-friendly creatures found in Minecraft.
- Detailed information about villager trading.
- Redstone circuits
- Information about redstone circuits.
- Resource packs
- Various resource packs that alter the look and feel of the game.
- Various modifications that alter the gameplay.
- May 11, 2017
- Minecraft released on the Nintendo Switch as the Nintendo Switch Edition.
- April 10, 2017
- Official Minecraft Marketplace announced for Pocket and Windows 10 Edition, a feature for players to buy community-made content directly in-game, added along with the Discovery Update.
- April 7, 2017
- Closed beta for Chinese version of Minecraft announced in Beijing.
- February 2, 2017
- Minecraft: Story Mode is nominated a Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Video Game for the 2nd year in a row.
- Minecraft Website
- Minecraft Education Edition Website
- Mojang Blog
- Mojang Support
- Mojang Bug Tracker
- Minecraft Feedback
- Mojang Twitter (Mojangsta list)
- Mojang YouTube
- Mojang Twitch
- Minecraft Twitch
- Minecraft Beam
- Minecraft Forums
- Minecraft Facebook Page
- Realms Website
- J!NX merchandise
- ThinkGeek merchandise
- Documentation on starting and maintaining a server.
- Minecraft Realms
- Information about paid Mojang-hosted servers, known as Realms.
- Official issue tracker
- Official issue tracker for tracking bug reports and fixes for the computer and Pocket editions.
- Development resources
- Documentation and information to develop applications to work with Minecraft.
- Programs and editors
- A list containing several third-party programs that are designed to work with Minecraft.
- Custom servers
- Documentation and information about custom servers, along with a list of them.
- Computer –
- Pocket Edition –
- Console Edition –