Yes (64), same type only
Wood is a naturally occurring block fundamental to the crafting of many blocks and tools in the game. They have a skin resembling bark on the four side faces, and a crosscut face on top and bottom. Wood is greatly abundant in naturally-generated maps, as it is used as the foundation for trees. Wood is also flammable.
There are currently six varieties of wood. The first is Oak, which is the "classic" texture of brown, the second is Birch, which is white and has dark spots over it; the third type, Spruce, resembles Oak but is darker in color; the fourth type, Jungle, resembles Oak wood with bark aligned horizontally and has a green tint. Type number five is Acacia, which has grey on the outside, orange on the inside, and finally, log number six: Dark Oak, which is a darker version of the oak log.
Wood from different types of trees will produce different colors of wood planks when crafted and will not stack in the inventory. Both types of Oak and acacia trees have the same texture, birch trees have slightly duller colored leaves than regular trees, pine trees have pine needles, and jungle leaves are leafy with fruit-like shapes.
Wood can be broken by hand, but using an axe will speed up the process, although axes don't last forever. An enchanted diamond axe is handy to carry around with you all the time, while the humble, clean and renewable stone axes are more useful for mass deforestation.
 Naturally generated
Wood blocks of all six types generate naturally as part of trees, even above layer 128. The types of trees generated depend on the biome:
- Oak trees generate in forests, swamps, jungles, and extreme hills. Large oaks can generate in any of those biomes. Oak wood also appears in Bonus Chest
- Spruce trees generate in regular taigas, mega taigas, snowy taigas, ice plains, and extreme hills. Giant spruce trees with 2×2 thickness can occur in mega taigas.
- Birch trees generate in forests and birch forests.
- Jungle trees are exclusive to jungles. Much taller jungle trees with 2×2 thickness can occur in addition to the normal 1×1.
- Acacia trees are exclusive to savannas, and their trunks are often diagonal, unlike others. These trees are also found in bonus chests.
- Dark Oak trees are exclusive to roofed forests. Dark oak trees occur only in 2×2 dimensions, but are similar in height to 1×1 trees. They have vertical branches, exclusive to that tree. Using bonemeal on a lone dark oak sapling will just waste the bonemeal, making an effective bone meal "trash can".
Besides forming trees, oak wood blocks can also be found in plains villages where they form the edges of farms and are also used in the corners and roofs of a few small huts. Spruce wood can be found in swamp huts.
 From saplings
If there is enough space and light, a sapling will grow into a tree after a certain time, or, if bonemealed, almost instantly. This, combined with the fact that saplings have a chance to drop from destroyed leaves, makes wood a renewable resource. Saplings will even grow in the Nether or the End.
Extra tall 2×2 spruce and jungle trees, as well as normal-sized dark oak trees, may be grown by arranging four saplings in a 2×2 square. Note that dark oak trees require growth from 2×2 saplings; single saplings will not grow into trees.
 As a crafting ingredient
Any Wood Planks
 Further crafting
The following table presents the amount of wood needed to produce an even multiple of a given item with no waste left over, and the quantity produced:
|Product||Number of wood
|0 crafted, 1 cooked[note 1]||1||100%|
|3||2 (6 as of 1.8)||66.67% (200% as of 1.8)|
|1 crafted, 8 cooked[note 1]||32||355.56%|
Wooden Pressure Plate
- Requires the burning of wood into charcoal in a
furnace. Thus, you will need 8 cobblestone and burning material. The cobblestone and fuel are ignored for the purpose of this conversion.
- Because one plank cannot be crafted into two sticks, this crafting recipe requires two wood for two units.
 As a smelting ingredient
Any Wood +
 As a fuel
Wood "logs" can be used as a fuel in furnaces, smelting 1.5 items per block. However, it is far more efficient to craft one of the wood blocks into wood planks: Each of the 4 planks will burn as long as the log would have, for a total of 6 items. The planks can then be used to smelt up to 6 logs into charcoal. Charcoal is an even more efficient fuel (8 items per piece, 6.85 items per log including the fuel, and 7 items per log if the charcoal is used to make more charcoal).
 Data values
The data value for wood blocks consists of two facing bits (high-order) and two wood type bits (low-order).
|0||Oak wood facing up/down|
|1||Spruce wood facing up/down|
|2||Birch wood facing up/down|
|3||Jungle wood facing up/down|
|4||Oak wood facing East/West|
|5||Spruce wood facing East/West|
|6||Birch wood facing East/West|
|7||Jungle wood facing East/West|
|8||Oak wood facing North/South|
|9||Spruce wood facing North/South|
|10||Birch wood facing North/South|
|11||Jungle wood facing North/South|
|12||Oak wood with only bark|
|13||Spruce wood with only bark|
|14||Birch wood with only bark|
|15||Jungle wood with only bark|
|0||Acacia wood facing up/down|
|1||Dark Oak wood facing up/down|
|4||Acacia wood facing East/West|
|5||Dark Oak wood facing East/West|
|8||Acacia wood facing North/South|
|9||Dark Oak wood facing North/South|
|12||Acacia wood with only bark|
|13||Dark Oak wood with only bark|
Note that when a wood block is placed, it changes its facing bits, placing in the direction relative to the block it is placed on.
 In Playstation 3 Edition
In the PS3 edition, wood blocks with data values of sideways or only bark wood only appear this way on the hand or inventory, and when placed look completely different. Since they are solid blocks and some use transparent block data, they can effectively make an X-ray machine. Due to the addition of real sideways logs in TU14, these blocks no longer do this.
There is a block that is inner oak wood in all 6 sides. (Equivalent: East/west oak)
There are wood blocks that face north/south when placed, but have grey oak, birch or pine leaves as bark. (Equivalent: Pine: north/south birch, oak/birch: east/west jungle/birch)
There is a log that also faces sideways and has leaf bark, but applies an X-ray effect. (Equivalent: east/west pine)
There is a "grey jungle leaves" block that has the blank jungle leaf texture on all 6 sides. The gold color stands out brilliantly. (Equivalent: Oak bark only block)
There is a stripy block that resembles a block of iron. (Equivalent: pine bark only)
There are two blocks that have wheat crops on all six sides. One is grown slightly more than the other. These add an x-ray effect. (Short crop: birch bark only, longer: jungle bark only)
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Prerequisites||Actual requirements (if different)||Version restriction||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Getting Wood||Attack a tree until a block of wood pops out||Taking Inventory||Pick up Wood from the ground.||None||10G||Bronze|
|0.0.14a||Called log when first introduced, oak wood was one of the first blocks in Minecraft.|
|0.0.15a||Very small texture change.|
|0.0.24||Breaking log now drops 3-5 wood blocks.|
|February 23, 2010||Breaking log gives the block instead of planks.|
|1.2.0||Wood would now only be destroyed by fire if it had several sides simultaneously burning. If only one side was burning, the fire and wood block would last forever. This was a bug but made for nice fireplaces. Netherrack can also be used this way, as it burns forever.|
|1.2||Added birch and spruce wood|
|1.4||Wood and wood planks will now burn and be destroyed if any one of the sides are lit on fire. This can happen in 1.6.6 again but may not happen to all wood.|
|1.5||With the addition of birch and spruce saplings, their respective wood types become renewable resources.|
|Added "Getting Wood" achievement for chopping then pick up wood.|
|1.2.1||12w03a||Added jungle wood.|
|1.2.4||Different types of wood now produce different colors of planks when crafted.|
|1.3.1||12w30d||All types of blocks of wood are now rotatable, with the wood placed with the inner side facing the player (similarly to pistons).|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Wood blocks now have new sounds when being placed, walked on, and mined.|
|Orientation of placed wood blocks is now determined by which face of another block they are placed against, similarly to levers.|
|1.6.1||13w24a||As a feature of resource packs, each log has its own top, meaning that log tops can now be colored separately.|
|1.7.2||13w43a||Added two new types of wood: Acacia and Dark Oak.|
|1.7pre||Gave the texture of wood tops its own unique texture for each type of wood.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.1.0||Added oak, birch and spruce wood.|
|0.3.0||Wood can now be collected.|
|0.8.0||build 2||Jungle wood was added to the creative menu.|
|Wood can now be placed sideways.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added acacia wood and dark oak wood.|
|Jungle wood can now be obtained in survival mode as part of jungle trees.|
|Gave the texture of wood tops its own unique texture for each type of wood.|
|TU1||Added oak, birch and spruce wood.|
|TU9||Spruce wood and birch wooden can now be crafted into spruce and birch wood planks, stairs and slabs.|
|TU12||Added jungle wood, which can be crafted into jungle wood planks.|
|TU14||All types of blocks of wood are now rotatable, with the wood placed with the inner side facing the player (similarly to pistons).|
|0.1.1||Added oak, birch and spruce wood.|
Issues relating to "Wood" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- In real life, the number of rings on the inside of a tree counts the age of the tree. Since there are two rings on each wood block, the trees would be two years old.
- The spacing between rings tells how fast the tree grows. Since they are spaced out 1/16 of a block, this explains how fast they grow (they can shoot up in seconds with bone meal).
- Some oak trees and birch trees have the same structure: 5 or 6 wood blocks and a pattern of leaves that stays the same for both regular oak and regular birch trees.
- Birch is the only wood with a unique bark. All of the rest are Oak, but with some kind of modification.
- Although wood is considered renewable, there is a chance that a tree grown from a sapling will drop no saplings.
- Dark Oak and Acacia logs share a new block ID separate from the old logs, called log2, since all the other data values on the previous log block were occupied by rotated variants. There are still 2 remaining data values on the block that use the missing texture and cannot be crafted into anything. The next two trees, if more are added, will likely use these values.
- If by /give one gets a sideways log or bark block into their inventory, the bark on the sides will be rotated upright, the block cannot be crafted into planks, they will be named Oak Wood (for oak, birch, pine and jungle) or acacia wood (for acacia and dark oak) and when placed will work like the normal block. This includes the log2 block with data values 2 and 3.
- When a world that has a jungle biome in it is opened in 1.1 instead of 1.2.1 or further, the wood and leaf types will be changed into oak wood and leaves. This is merely a graphical effect, as the logs will still retain their data values and forward compatibility.
- If one does the same with Dark Oak or Acacia logs, the wood and leaves will simply disappear, and will not be restored, as they use a completely different ID.