Light level of 7 or less.
|“||I decided to go for a less traditional witch look and have an "offshoot villager" kinda thing. It has a magical nose that wiggles, too.||„|
Witches can spawn anywhere in the Overworld at a light level of 7 or less.
Every witch hut spawns a witch inside during world generation. Afterwards, witches and only witches will spawn in the 7 by 9 by 5 area that is the witch hut. This is the size of the roof and one more block over the porch, and a bit down.
A witch spawns when lightning strikes between 3-4 blocks of a villager.
When killed, witches may drop Glass Bottles, Glowstone Dust, Gunpowder, Redstone, Spider Eyes, Sticks, and Sugar. They drop 1–3 different item types, and 0-6 quantity of each, though with an overall maximum of six items total.
Witches also drop Potions of Healing, Fire Resistance, Swiftness and Water Breathing, but only when they die while drinking that potion.
Witches use splash potions offensively, and drink ordinary potions defensively.
- They will throw Potions of slowness if the player is at least 8 blocks away and does not already have the Slowness status effect.
- They will throw Potions of poison if the player's health is at least 8 () and is not already poisoned.
- They have a 25% chance of throwing Potions of weakness if the player is within 3 blocks and does not already have the Weakness status effect.
- If none of the above conditions are true, Witches default to using Potions of harming.
- If set on fire, Witches drink a Potion of fire resistance.
- When damaged, they will drink a Potion of healing.
- When a Witch's head is under water, it will drink a Potion of water breathing.
- When more than 11 blocks from a target, it will drink a Potion of swiftness to get closer and attack.
Witches are 85% resistant to splash potions of poison and instant damage.
|September 13, 2012||Dinnerbone hinted that the witch mob would be added in the Pretty Scary Update, and that the witch's texture would be some variation of the villagers'.|
|September 21, 2012||Dinnerbone confirmed a suggestion made by Mr_Pennybags in Reddit's r/Minecraft subreddit that witches are to live in Witch Huts.|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Witches were added. They do not naturally spawn, and can only be spawned in Creative mode using spawn eggs.|
|The witch uses splash potions, such as poison, weakness, damage, and slowness, to fight the player.|
|Though witches are modeled after villagers, they do not share any attributes of villagers, such as utilizing housing, and are unable to open doors.|
|12w38b||Witches now have common drops including glass bottles, sticks, redstone dust, glowstone dust, gunpowder, spider eyes and water bottles.|
|Witches now can't hurt themselves, and their texture changed slightly.|
|12w39a||Fixed bug causing witch to be white for some, and changed texture size.|
|12w40a||Witches now spawn in Witch Huts.|
|Witches no longer drop water bottles.|
|1.6.1||Because of the healing potions having 2/3 of strength, the witches' regeneration rate has been decreased and they are easier to kill.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||Witches can now drink and drop Potions of Water Breathing.|
|13w42a||Witches now spawn anywhere where the light level is 7 or less, including any biome at night and in caves.|
|13w42b||Decreased spawn rate.|
|1.8||14w03a||Villagers struck by lightning will turn into Witches.|
|14w11a||Now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
Issues relating to "Witch" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- If a witch hits another witch with a potion, the witch who is hit will become angry and target the other witch, however it is impossible for either witch to kill the other (without help from a player) due to their use of healing potions and their resistance to each other's splash potions.
- Witches have more drops than any other mob in the game.
- Witches do not utilize the equipment in their huts, but they can be used by players.
- The odds of a witch dropping the maximum amount of drops possible (6 items total) without a Looting enchantment are 1 in 81 (1.2%).
- Witches are the only hostile mob that don't make sounds.
- Witches are extremely difficult to kill via suffocation or cacti (though not impossible), due to their frequent use of healing potions.
- When drinking a potion, a Witch's nose will point straight forward.