|This article may need cleanup to comply with the style guide.|
Weather in Minecraft consists of precipitation and storms that are temporary but global. Different weather occurs depending on the biome in which it occurs, but no precipitation occurs in deserts and savannas. Weather darkens the sky, hiding the sun, stars, and moon. Players who sleep in a bed during weather will wake when it ends.
Players who have cheats enabled can change the current weather if they wish, by entering the commands:
/weather clear <time>,
/weather rain <time>, or
/weather thunder <time> Note that
<time> is the number of seconds that the weather will take place.
Types[edit | edit source]
Rain[edit | edit source]
- Occurs in all biomes except dry and cold biomes.
- During rain, thunderstorms are possible.
- Decreases the light level by 3 in full daylight.
- The water from rain showers may hydrate farmland causing crops to grow at a faster rate
- Rain showers and thunderstorms will harm any endermen who are exposed to the sky, but it does not apply to snowfall or weather conditions in dry biomes.
- The player can hear rain that hits nearby objects, if all particles are enabled.
- Exposed cauldrons may slowly fill up with water.
- Mobs on fire are put out on contact with rain; this prevents skeletons and zombies from burning in daylight.
- In Pocket Edition monsters may spawn while it's raining because of how dark it is when it rains.
Snow[edit | edit source]
- Occurs only in biomes that generate with snow or ice.
- Snowfall covers the top surface of all blocks exposed to the sky with snow, but it does not cover transparent blocks
- Causes water source blocks connected to another block horizontally to convert into ice blocks.
Overcast[edit | edit source]
In dry biomes in the Overworld, rain and snow do not fall, but the sky still turns gray.
Thunderstorm[edit | edit source]
- Occurs only during rain and in the same biomes as rain.
- Thunderstorms reduce the light level to 10 and allow hostile mobs to spawn as though it was no more than 5.
- Villagers will return to their homes until the storm passes.
- Thunder frequently rumbles in the background.
- This sound can be heard from bedrock all the way to the building height limit and beyond.
- Lightning occurs frequently during thunderstorms, but very rarely does it strike the player. It can only strike blocks that are exposed to the rain.
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 4||Rain was introduced purely for cosmetic purposes. The mechanics were simple, only testing if there is a block above to shelter the rain.|
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 5||Rain is now thinner.|
|0.27 SURVIVAL TEST 10||F5 now toggles rain.|
|0.29_01||Rain can now only be toggled in Creative mode.|
|?||The feature mentioned above was removed.|
|?||During Alpha there was a test for snow. Generating a world during that time brings a 25% chance to get a snowy world, where ice and snow will regenerate. This feature was removed with the introduction of biomes. Despite this, mods could easily re-enable this feature by accessing the particle effects file.|
|1.5||Rain and falling snow were implemented after a teaser video was released. Rain looks identical to the rain in Classic, but also plays two different sound files.|
|1.5_01||Fixed a bug where rain fell through certain blocks like glass, stairs and slabs.|
|1.6||Fixed a bug where the rain seemed to freeze when climbing down ladders until you reached the bottom or changed direction, possibly indicating that you climbed at same speed as the rain fell.|
|Fixed a bug where rain and snow fell underwater.|
|1.3.1||12w23a||Weather transitioning was added.|
|1.7.2||Clouds are now black during thunderstorms, thus telling the difference between rain and thunderstorms.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Weather and weather transitioning added.|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added rain.|
|TU5||Improved the rain edges (when looking up in rain).|
|TU25||CU14||1.17||Clouds are now black during thunderstorms, thus telling the difference between rain and thunderstorms.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Weather transitioning was added.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Weather” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A thunderstorm is needed for lightning to naturally occur, though the player may summon lightning manually by using the command
- Tamed wolves will run away to shelter during a thunderstorm.
- Rain and snow will still fall even if you are above the cloud layer. The rain therefore, as can happen in real life, originates in the unreachable upper cloud level.
- Rain and snow are both considered the same weather effect by the game.
- This explains why there is no
- This explains why there is no
- If weather occurs in the Nether and the Void is visible, the Void will constantly flash brightly and no rain, snow, or lightning will be present.
- The initial occurrence of rainfall is predetermined per seed. For example, if the first rainfall happens the second day in a new world, and another new world is created with the same seed, it will also happen the second day. After the first rainfall, the rain time is random.
- The sound that rain makes is generated by the particles of rain reaching the ground, rather than the event. As a result of this, one can make the aforementioned sound stop playing by turning the particles setting to minimal.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Weather darkens the sky to the extent of the sun being hidden from view.