|This article may need cleanup to comply with the style guide.|
Weather in Minecraft consists of precipitation and storms that are temporary but global. Different weather occurs depending on the biome in which it occurs: snow falls in cold biomes, rain falls on others, but no precipitation occurs in deserts and savannas. Regardless, in all biomes, weather darkens the sky, hiding the sun, stars, and moon. Players who sleep in a bed during weather will wake when it ends. Rain and snow can simultaneously be seen where a snowy biome borders a non-snowy one.
Players who have cheats enabled can change the current weather if they wish, by entering the commands:
/weather rain, or
/weather thunder Note that <time> is the number of seconds that the weather will take place.
- Occurs in all biomes except dry and cold biomes (such as deserts and ice plains, respectively).
- During rain, thunderstorms become possible.
- Decreases the light level by 3, to light level 12 in full daylight.
- The water from rain showers cause crops to grow at a faster rate
- Rain showers and thunderstorms will harm any endermen who are exposed to the sky.
- This does not apply to snowfall or weather conditions in dry biomes.
- The player can hear rain that hits nearby objects, if all particles are enabled.
- Exposed cauldrons may fill up with water.
- Occurs only in snow-related (ice plains, cold taiga, et al.) biomes.
- Snowfall covers the top surface of all blocks exposed to the sky with snow
- Causes water that does not have a block above it to become ice
- Thunderstorms are much darker than normal rain, at light level 7 or less.
- Thunder frequently rumbles in the background.
- This sound can be heard from bedrock all the way to the building height limit and beyond.
- Lightning occurs frequently during thunderstorms, but very rarely does it strike the player.
- It deals 5 () to entities on normal difficulty, not including the damage done by the fire it causes.
- It creates fire where it strikes, but the rain usually puts the fire out before it can spread.
- In a dry biome, however, any fire caused by lightning will spread, since there is no rain to put it out.
- If Lightning strikes a pig, it morphs into a zombie pigman.
- If lightning strikes a creeper, it becomes a charged creeper and has a much more powerful explosion.
- Villagers struck by lightning will turn into witches.
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 4||Rain was introduced purely for cosmetic purposes. The mechanics were simple, only testing if there is a block above to shelter the rain.|
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 5||Rain is now thinner.|
|0.27 SURVIVAL TEST 10||F5 now toggles rain.|
|0.29_01||Rain can now only be toggled in Creative mode.|
|The feature mentioned above was removed.|
|During Alpha there was a test for snow. Generating a world during that time brings a 25% chance to get a snowy world, where ice and snow will regenerate. This feature was removed with the introduction of biomes. Despite this, mods could easily re-enable this feature by accessing the particle effects file.|
|1.5||Rain and falling snow were implemented after a teaser video was released. Rain looks identical to the rain in Classic, but also plays two different sound files.|
|1.5_01||Fixed a bug where rain fell through certain blocks like glass, stairs and slabs.|
|1.6||Fixed a bug where the rain seemed to freeze when climbing down ladders until you reached the bottom or changed direction, possibly indicating that you climbed at same speed as the rain fell.|
|Fixed a bug where rain and snow fell underwater.|
|1.3.1||12w23a||Weather transitioning was added.|
|TU5||Improved the rain edges (when looking up in rain).|
Issues relating to "Weather" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- A thunderstorm is needed for lightning to naturally occur, though the player may summon lightning manually by using the command
- Tamed wolves will run away to shelter during a thunderstorm.
- Rain and snow will still fall even if you are above the cloud layer. The rain therefore, as can happen in real life, originates in the unreachable upper cloud level.
- Rain and snow are both considered the same weather effect by the game.
- This explains why there is no
- This explains why there is no
- If weather occurs in the Nether and the Void is visible, the Void will constantly flash brightly and no rain, snow, or lightning will be present.
- Weather seems to have a predetermined pattern for every seed. For example, if a thunderstorm happens the second day, if you use the same seed again, it will also happen the second day in that world too.
- The sound that rain makes is generated by the particles of rain reaching the ground, rather than the event. As a result of this, one can make the aforementioned sound stop playing by turning the particles setting to minimal.
Weather darkens the sky to the extent of the sun being hidden from view.