A (?) denotes version's info here is guess-work, possibly incorrect.
Notice: Minecraft 1.9 is a term that is used to describe content of Minecraft that came out between 1.8 and the full release of Minecraft 1.0 on 18th November 2011. This is due to the fact that 1.9 never officially came out and its content was only available in pre-releases.
||Date of Addition
|The "Sound Update"
||November 13, 2011
 Sound Update
This update brought additional and changes to sounds within the /.minecraft/resources folder; the client was not updated.
Sounds implemented in all versions:
Sounds implemented in Minecraft 1.0RC1 and beyond:
||September 19, 2011
 Beta 1.8.1
- ⇧ Shift+clicking into a full chest/inventory crashing the game fixed.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking items in and out of a dispenser crashing the game fixed.
|1.8 (Adventure Update)
||September 15, 2011
 Beta 1.8
- New Mobs.
- New Blocks
- New Creative game mode.
- New features in the terrain generator.
- Optionally generated structures
- New, fractal-based biome code; added and removed some biomes while making all of them more vast than before.
- Rivers flowing through/in between biomes.
- Ocean Biomes, that are deeper and much more vast than before.
- Mountain biome
- snow in Taiga and Tundra biomes do not generate for technical reasons. They return in Beta 1.9.
- New ocean floor; random mix of sand, dirt, and clay.
- Because of this, clay is much more common.
- New combat Mechanics.
- Hold-to-charge bows.
- Critical hits.
- Players can parry with a sword by holding Right Mouse
- Hostile mobs perform attack animations.
- Mobs killed by players drop tiny flashing Experience Orbs that add to your experience bar.
- New Food System.
- There is now a food meter.
- Food no longer heals directly but indirectly: if the food meter is above 90%, heals about every 5 seconds.
- All food (except Mushroom Stew) are now stackable.
- Food takes 1.6 seconds to consume, accompanied with an animation.
- 5 new food items.
- Eating any raw food or Rotten Flesh has a chance to give the player food poisoning which makes the Hunger bar decrease three times as fast.
- New seeds for farming: pumpkin seeds and melon seeds that produce Pumpkins and Melons respectively.
- A new achievement: "Kill a skeleton with an arrow at 50 meters".
- Added Sprinting
- Added Ender Pearl
- Mob changes
- Passive mobs will randomly flee if attacked by the player or other mobs (such as Wolves).
- Zombies drop Rotten Flesh instead of Feathers.
- The snout on pigs now protrude from their head.
- Skeletons now hold full-size bows.
- Player-to-mob damage decreased by half a heart.
- Arrows that hit a mob visually "stick" into the mob rather than just disappear.
- Skeleton arrows originate from about their eyes to the bow, instead of above the head.
- Animals no longer despawn which makes it possible to capture them.
- Shears can now collect Tall Grass and the new Vine
- New improved lighting
- Day/night cycles no longer require chunk updates and is a smooth transition
- The lighting on a block is given a tint based on the most prominent source of light
- Redish from Non-sunlight light sources
- Blue from Moonlight
- Total darkness keeps the same black tint
- Sunlight gives the same white tint
- Non-sky based light now gives a very subtle 'flicker'.
- New Mojang logo splash screen
- Main Menu/Options changes
- The Main Menu's background is now an animated scene.
- The version tag is now displayed on the bottom-left rather than the top-left
- New sliders for Field of View and Brightness
- 4 new entries in control list
- "Attack", "Use Item", and "Pick Block" can now be remapped.
- Player list in SMP, defaults to Tab ↹.
- The 'Multiplayer join screen' has been improved, mainly with a server list.
- New texture for Moss Stone to match Cobblestone's.
- Improved sunrise and sunset.
- Clouds change color during sunrise and sunset to match the sky color.
- Horizon, specifically haze changes color more vividly during sunset and sunrise.
- New particle effects.
- Performing a critical hit on any mob will cause 'sparks' to fly.
- Explosion particles are now shockwaves instead of smoke.
- Tiny stationary bubble particles can be seen when underwater.
- Fog is now thicker and darker deep underground, and gives off particles. Due to this, the void appears black.
- Changes with debug-view (F3)
- Mobs are no longer visibly labeled with their entity ID
- The world's numeric seed is displayed in a field below player position.
- Changing fog by hotkey now requires debug-view to be open in addition with pressing F.
- ⇧ Shift+Clicking the output item in a crafting square will craft all the items at once, and automatically places them in the inventory.
- The version tag appears in-game again.
- User-placed leaf blocks no longer decay.
- Cloud height raised to the top of the map, so clouds can no longer phase through blocks.
- Cloud movement syncs with the game's time.
- Rain and snow both render faster
- Armor bar moved to above hearts, due to food bar.
- Both Wooden and Stone pressure plates can now be placed on fences.
- Improved chest model with a 3D lock.
- Players with the OP position on a server can switch back and forth between survival and creative mode.
- The game's coding now allows for mods to more easily change the(map) height.
- Holding the left mouse button with a weapon will now only swing once.
- Holding the right mouse button to place blocks is slightly slower than before.
- The ⇧ Shift+Click crash bug from 1.8pre2 is fixed.
- Fixed Redstone circuits not working after /time set x glitch is now fixed in SMP.
- Destroying boats and minecarts now creates particles.
- Ghast attack sounds are fixed in SMP.
- The Far Lands had been removed; there is now only void.
- There is a memory leak mainly occurring on Linux 32 bit.
- The destruction animation for chests is missing.
- Lighting persists in water even after the light source is removed.
- Experience orbs when dropped don't drop in a stack like items do, so when a player dies when they have a large number of experience, each orb has to be processed individually. This will cause a high amount of lag, especially for SMP servers.
- Double chests placed before 1.8 on multiplayer servers all appear to players to be facing the same direction, even when they should be rotated by 90 degrees.
- The Item Selection screen in the new Creative game mode is missing pine and birch leaves, tall grass, double slabs, monster spawner, snow cover, and both huge mushroom blocks.
- NPC villages occasionally spawn over partial water areas and 'float'
- Even though the Far Lands had been corrected, fake chunks still generate (but now generates at X/Z 30,000,000). Also, most of the effects of the Far Lands still exist, although terrain still generates correctly.
- When you sleep,the day/night cycle does not advance but only spawns a hostile mob.
||July 8, 2011
 Beta 1.7.3
- Corrected a block duplication bug when using pistons.
- Corrected a redstone torch duplication bug when using pistons.
- Corrected a client crash when placing a sign in front of the piston, powering the piston and then removing the block beneath the sign.
- Ice blocks are now pushed without causing water streams breaking everything.
- Powered Rails are no longer being powered magically without a power source.
- Pistons connected to the end of a piston transistor via redstone are now properly closed when the power goes out.
- Doors no longer create purple particles.
- Hacking clients can no longer edit texts of placed signs in multiplayer.
- Changed so that paintings pushed by pistons will pop off.
- When two lines of pistons push sand blocks against each other, a duplication bug occurs.
||July 1, 2011
 Beta 1.7.2
- Crashed worlds now work again.
- Disappearing piston fixes.
- Pistons that caused crashing for multiplayer servers fixed.
- When the player opens the inventory while sleeping, the player appears sideways. (When the prior bug was pointing from the camera)
||June 30, 2011
 Beta 1.7.1
- Fixed piston bug. Blocks that used to make the game crash in 1.7 now just get removed by the piston.
- Fixed right clicking on a sheep empty-handed causing game to crash.
- Worlds crashed are now loadable again.
- If a piston is activated and it disrupts a redstone wire, torch, repeater, pressure plate or any other block providing power and doing so will cut power to the piston in the same tick, the game will crash and become unloadable. Using any map editor to remove the offending blocks and entities will make the map loadable again.
- When crushed by pistons (or what they're moving) or when inside while it contracts, the player will be moved out of the way or into impossible places, on SMP this usually throws a "User moved wrongly!" warning.
- In rare cases, when redstone travels semi-long distances (almost 15 blocks), the current won't go through all the redstone, even with a repeater just before the end of the signal. Whether this is due to redstone errors or inter-block interaction errors, it is unknown.
- The door duplication bug is back again, this time happening when a piston pushes on the lower half of a door. If it is a normal piston that does it, then the piston can be destroyed and the bottom half of the door works like a normal door.
||June 30, 2011
 Beta 1.7
- Added pistons.
- Fixed clay generation.
- Flint and Steel or redstone is now required to trigger TNT.
- Fences can be stacked.
- Added Shears.
- Redstone wire now will connect to a repeater.
- Shears can be used to pick up leaf blocks.
- Shears can be used to shear sheep without hurting them.
- Sheep no longer drop wool from being punched, only from being killed or when they are sheared.
- New textures for Cobblestone and Brick blocks.
- Silverfish skin was added (for Beta 1.8).
- When pressing F3 in-game, a value ("F") from 0 to 3 will appear to indicate direction.
- The gray textures in the breaking animation have been replaced with opacity.
- Squid can now despawn.
- Single slabs now use the bottom half of the full block's texture.
- Cobweb now requires shears or a sword to be broken properly, and drops 1 string when destroyed.
- The bed side texture has been moved in the texture pack file, as well as the cake texture.
- Pushing leaves, water, lava, levers, tall grass, flowers, mushrooms, saplings, dead shrubs and sugar canes with a piston causes the game to crash. In SMP the server crashes and restarting it doesn't necessarily fix the problem.
- Right clicking sheep while holding nothing causes the game to crash.
- When placing a block, it may be placed invisible, with only its border showing up. The same may happen when removing block, only its ghost will stay. Both these bugs result in crash.
||May 31, 2011
 Beta 1.6.6
- Bonemeal can grow tall grass and flowers on grass blocks.
- Added Performance in Video Settings, Options Menu. Can be set to Max FPS, Balanced or Power saver.
- Glowstone Changes
- The Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition started from this version's features.
- Fixed beds not working very well in SMP.
- Boat Fixes
- Destroying a Boat will no longer spawn the player too low, causing them to sometimes fall through the ground.
- Boats float up to the surface quicker.
- Boats falling down into water lose their vertical momentum much faster.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking a tool into a chest no longer restores it to new.
- When putting torches all around a bed in SSP, you will not sleep until daytime. (?)
- When pillaring, it is possible to get stuck and repeatedly go into the block below you. If you disconnect and come back, you will be on the block above your head. If you are in the nether and way up near the top, you will skip to on top of bedrock.
- When you disconnect (SMP) at the bottom of a very high wall and reconnect to the server, sometimes your y position have been increased so you are in the air beside the wall, but you don't fall.
- Setting the new server option view-distance lower than 10 reduces the spawn rate significantly.
- Arrows fired by skeletons originate from above their model.
||May 28, 2011
 Beta 1.6.5
- Advanced OpenGL re-added. (Still with same Toggle bug as of 1.5)
- Framerate cap can now be changed, with toggles of 40 FPS, 90 FPS and 200 FPS. Except for the 40 FPS setting, the framerate will only be capped when there are any chunk updates.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking an item in the crafting window now only moves the crafted item into the player's inventory.
- Version number no longer displayed while playing. Still visible on title screen and debug screen.
- Players riding anything or sleeping in anything will stop doing so when they leave the game now.
- Sneaking effect got decreased. The character's feet looks like it's in the air.
- It is now possible to climb stairs and slabs while sneaking.
- Player indicator on maps now points in the same direction as the player, instead of being rotated slightly.
- Dropped equipment no longer breaks on the first use. (In some cases it still will).
- Objects will now be pushed out if they are within a block.
- Lighting acts normal again when placing/removing torches.
- The game no longer crashes when shift-clicking to put items in a chest that is already full and vice versa.
- Fixed CPU issue on multiplayer.
- Saving while crouching no longer consistently teleports the player into blocks above or below when loading the save.
- Exiting a Minecart or moving from one Minecart to another will no longer bump the original Minecart and make it move.
- Fixed the players health appearing to be full when entering/exiting the nether.
- Fixed some entities appearing to fall through the ground repeatedly in multiplayer (some might still do so).
- Fixed the server sometimes thinking the player hit a corner when walking when they didn’t.
- Fixed the achievements window rendering some graphics outside the clip window.
- Fixed a couple of instances where beds would act strange in multiplayer, primarily the "already occupied" bug.
- On some computers, every few seconds, there is a huge drop in FPS lasting only a fraction of a second. This bug was noticed in version 1.6.5.
- Memory leaks. When a chunk unloads, its block textures and data are still present in the client's RAM, even if you cannot see the chunk anymore.
- Sometimes blocks will fail to render, creating massive holes on the ground and walls, allowing the player to see caves and dungeons under the map. This probably happens when Minecraft runs out of memory.
- Setting Framerate Limit to 40 FPS may increase CPU usage on some computers.
- When Dead Shrub (Type of tall grass) (Not Desert Dead Shrubs) are broken, their particles are gray (no hue).
- Difficulty may revert to "Easy" when you load a save, at least when you had it previously on "Peaceful."
- Respawn after death results in being stuck until breaking block below. Does not occur at all spawn points.
- Beds have numerous issues in SMP; players may sleep during night, but nothing will happen as the game thinks you're trying to sleep. This allows the player to sleep and walk freely at the same time. When all players are asleep, a few seconds later the game teleports you back to the bed and the normal post-sleeping effect will occur.
- Setting view-distance=7 (or lower) in server.properties causes part of the maps (item) to revert.
- In SMP, sometimes when entering the World from the Nether, the sky will remain red.
- Minecarts stopped on E/W powered rail will not bounce off one another, but they will on N/S powered rail.
- On unlit powered rail as part of a track which terminates at a solid block to the North or to the East, a minecart can be shoved off of the track directly into the block, by a player or by another minecart.
- If you ⇧ Shift+click an item into a full chest, the client will not crash, but the server does.
- Sometimes when trying to lie down on a bed, it fails and removes one half of a heart in SMP.
- Shadows sometimes do not update.
- Shift-clicking to receive items from crafting doesn't count towards items crafted in your statistics.
- Walking in a corner in certain circumstances results in falling in the next block (tested on leaves).
- You cannot place redstone on TNT anymore.
- Left clicking on a series of Doors/Trap Doors will open all within range of your punch instead of the first.
- Blocks displaced by half steps can only be collected from the side, not the top (Although the blocks are visible)
- Mobs don't despawn from chunks you are no longer in. (SMP Fix)
- Clay is almost nonexistent in newly generated worlds. Clay only generates if the x and z coordinates are the same.
- SMP: When too many items are generated at once (Entity Overload / Large amount of Explosions) the client will fail to update some of them. It finally results in glowing passive TNT or all kinds of inventory items lying around, respectively. Both only vanish after a logout.
- SMP: Maps do not load correctly, leaving chunks missing or even entire lines missing.
- When saving and quitting the game, "Saving Chunks" appears and does not disappear until you close the game. (This is similar to not having any progress bar when it says Saving Chunks)
||May 26, 2011
 Beta 1.6.4
- Attempted fix for CPU usage issue on singleplayer and multiplayer.
- Sometimes when you open a world you can get stuck for a short time (about 0.10 seconds).
- Entering and exiting the nether in SMP resets health bar, but not health.
- Dropped tools, once picked up, disappear after first use. Also if you die your tools can suffer a similar fate. If you shift-transfer such a dropped tool into a chest and back in your inventory, it's like a new-crafted tool without uses.
- Holding a map in a boat can cause the arms to be misplaced. This can be fixed by exiting the boat, and opening your inventory.
- If a player sleeps in a bed, sometimes the bed is listed as occupied (even though it isn't) and, upon logging out, there is a NullPointerException and the player's .dat file is corrupted. There is an end of stream error when the player tries to log back in and their .dat file needs to be restored from a backup. This can be fixed by changing the sleeping value in the player's .dat file from 1 back to 0; this solves the issue and the player can then log back in. (You have to un-zip the .dat file first, otherwise the file just looks like gibberish)
- If a player crashes in the nether in SMP, some times when they reconnect, they spawn on top of the Nether. The only way back is death, or using teleportation.
- Sometimes freezes most water into ice regardless of if its in a snow biome or not.
- CPU issue fix is still failing, same loop as 1.6.3
- Sometimes blocks will fail to render, creating massive holes on the ground and walls, allowing the player to see caves and dungeons under the map.
- Achievement display is sometimes off-panel.
- Updating of lighting due to Torches and other player instigated sources seems to be even worse.
- Underground or otherwise enclosed Rail corners can cause you to clip through wall and lose health.
- Minecarts colliding on the same track will pass through each other or come to a dead stop rather than pushing.
- Exiting a Minecart or moving from one Minecart to another will bump the original Minecart and make it move.
- Fire does not show up on a map item.
- Fire sticks around much longer on blocks it can't burn.
- Cobweb now acting like a solid block, player can pass through it, but he/she will get damaged.
- You are able to travel down through a "closed" Trapdoor/Hatch (Under certain circumstances).
- If the player is crouched while saving, he/she will then (when loading the world) spawn an additional 1.62 meters higher, and visibly fall to the ground (unhurt). However, if this occurs while standing under a solid block (such as a low ceiling), then the player will suffer 0.5 hearts of damage from clipping into the block temporarily ("suffocation"). Warning, also occasionally happens even when not crouched! (See Bug Report.)
- When boats are submerged, they do not float back to surface.
- All TNT-entities stay client-side after exploding, until reconnection. (New bug because before just random ones stayed)
- ⇧ Shift+clicking to transfer items to/from chests, dispensers and storage minecarts can result in the game crashing if the items' destination would become full, or if there is no room for the new item.
- Can't move and can mostly only see sky and sea when server.properties "view-distance" is set above 5. Note that the default is 10.
- Hostile mobs sometimes spawn when using a bed even in a well lit room sealed off from outside environments, this appears to possibly be related to the lighting bug mentioned above (this can be an old bug: see File:Bed Template.png). Double doors also cause this to happen, the game somehow ignores one of the doors allowing mobs to spawn inside.
- Craftable maps sometimes don't display the correct name, become blank or have gaps.
- When crafting an item, ⇧ Shift+clicking may cause different items to be created if the elimination of resources would create a situation in which that item can be crafted. For example, having 1 stone in the top left and two in the top middle and top right, along with two sticks in the middle and bottom middle, ⇧ Shift+clicking will create a pick and a hoe.
- When riding a boat with a map out, the player sometimes dies for no apparent reason.
- Light bugs found in 1.6.2 can now occur in old generated chunks (not only in those generated in 1.6.x).
- When climbing a ladder in a 1x2 shaft, under certain circumstances, it is impossible to target a block opposite of the ladder. The cursor will repeatedly alternate between the wall and another block, usually the ladder.
- The corruption of world when running out of memory fix does not always work.
- When entering and leaving nether life is shown incorrectly as full.
- Maps may cause crashes or instability on multiplayer servers. When maps are used the server usually crashes in the same way: CPU usage goes to 100% and short after the server kicks all player and stops responding.
- Mushrooms can spread through walls.
- Lava, in SMP, anywhere near wood, even if blocked by glass, will set the wood on fire. Have observed wood catching alight that is 10 blocks away from the lava source.
- Maps sometimes stop updating the player position.
- Spawn locations do not change when you sleep. (?)
- Spawn locations may randomly shift large distances (?)
||May 26, 2011
 Beta 1.6.3
- The renderer is now capped at 100 fps while there are chunks to be generated. The excess time will be spent generating chunks instead of rendering frames.
- The "limit framerate" option now limits the game to 40 fps and will spend at least 10 ms per frame sleeping.
- The "limit framerate" option has been reset to "off" for all players, enable it again if you want it.
- 2 blocks deep water doesn't prevent you from fall-damage anymore. You need at least 3 blocks deep water to fall in.
- Fixed some block updates not updating lighting properly under some circumstances by reverting the "don’t always send block data" fix in 1.6.
- Fixed a major CPU load issue in the server where a very tight loop would starve all other threads.
- Fixed furnaces dropping/duplicating their contents when they change state from lit to unlit or back.
- FPS limiter limits FPS to 41 instead of 40.
- The fix for the CPU load issue is not working, and still starves all other threads.
||May 26, 2011
 Beta 1.6.2
- Fixed new item duplication bug
- The item duplication bug was not actually fixed; items placed in a furnace can still be taken out of a furnace and duplicated infinitely by right-clicking (although it appears the newly duplicated item will not function). Also, bug with cloned items being picked up after death wasn't fixed too.
- When using a furnace and placing items into it, as soon as it's activated all items minus 1 are ejected and must be placed back in the furnace in order to use it.
- Lighting is not always updated when digging new holes/tunnels, placing torches or setting blocks on fire (in both nether & normal world).
- Tall grass can grow on dirt with no grass on it.
- Shift-clicking something into a full chest from inventory or from chest into full inventory crashes the client.
- It is now impossible to row a boat in 1 block deep water.
- Sometimes (tested while in a boat on water, and when floating in water) while viewing a map the game will switch to a "saving chunks screen" then end on a black screen.
- When quitting game the "Saving Chunks" progress bar does not appear sometimes.
- When loading a world and standing in a cave less than 4 blocks high, the player gets some initial damage (at least the damage sound appears).
- "Out of memory" error. Often appears after the "blocks don't disappear" bug.
The following bugs only occur in new chunks generated in 1.6.2:
- Some chunks don't get dark at night (and vice versa; some chunks stay dark during the day).
- The textures don't load on some chunks (The blocks are present but with transparent textures).
- Some blocks don't disappear after being broken; it appears as if the block is still there, but can be passed through.
||May 26, 2011
 Beta 1.6.1
- Fixed item bug when picking up an item with a full inventory causing an infinite number of item pickup animations to play.
||May 26, 2011
 Beta 1.6
- Added Nether support to multiplayer.
- Added craftable Maps.
- Added trapdoors.
- Added Tall Grass in certain biomes.
- Seeds are now found in tall grass; using a hoe on the ground no longer yields seeds.
- Added Dead Shrubs in Deserts.
- Mushrooms now spread, albeit slowly.
- New settings in Server.properties:
- The lighting on block icons in the inventory has been changed to appear brigher.
- The record player now supports more than 15 different music discs; no additional music discs were added until Minecraft 1.0.
- Ice now regenerates regardless of whether it’s snowing or not.
- Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now show the breaking block particle effect.
- Doors make sound for other players in multiplayer.
- Activated dispensers make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer.
- Players stuck in walls will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking while crafting makes as much as possible and moves it straight to your inventory.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking something in your inventory will push it directly in your hot bar and vice-versa.
- Trying to sleep in the Nether causes the bed to explode.
- Temporarily disabled Advanced OpenGL due to bugs until 1.6.5.
- It’s no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the map.
- Booster tracks are now speedier to offset the loss of glitch-boosters.
- Fire has been severely nerfed so it spreads slower, and doesn’t spread infinitely.
- Compressed network traffic more aggressively.
- Blocks that don’t change appearance when the data changes don’t send block updates when their data changes now.
- Arrows shot by one player can now be picked up by other players.
- Minecarts and boats can go through portals, empty or occupied.
- Water below a layer of source blocks no longer behaves like source blocks.
- Performance issues
- Extreme lag on Linux and Windows multiplayer servers; the Minecraft process uses 100% of CPU as soon as the host is logged on.
- The frames per second of the client dropped considerably for some users.
- Duplication bugs
- Items from the furnace can also be duplicated by right clicking.
- Right clicking a Duplicated item from a furnace while the chest is open results in a crash.
- Items do not eject properly from any block, they will become buried if a block is placed over them.
- Items received from a Furnace sometimes have no stack number
- When pressing Q to drop a tool and re-collecting that tool, it will only last for 1 more use.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking from an inventory to a chest when the chest is full brings the "Saving Chunks" screen  to appear and crash.
- After death, any items dropped will spawn an infinite number of clone tools to the player when they attempt to pick them up.
- The tool-tips for Tall Grass and Dead Shrubs are missing in the Statistics menu.
- Tall Grass looks gray in Statistics menu due to not being filtered with grasscolor.png.
- Furnaces will sometimes eject all but the last item in every slot.
- Upon logging into a world, the player receives half a heart of damage possibly due to spawning partially in the floor or ceiling, if indoors
- An item bug was introduced where people could pickup items while their inventory is full.
- Any music discs left in a jukebox before Beta 1.6 can not be ejected
- Trapdoor textures are mirrored wrongly.
- Walking up or down stairs is much bumpier than previously (your viewpoint bouncing vertically).
- Closed Trapdoors let rain fall through.
- Maps trying to view The Void will crash the game.
- Glowstone now acts similarly to glass with regards to rails, torches, ladders, doors, etc.
- Player orientation arrow on maps orients about 15° to the right of actual facing.
||April 20, 2011
 Beta 1.5_01(Patch)
This was a server-only update, 1.5_01 remained the current client version
- Game no longer crashes from "internal server error" created by bugs in 1.5_01's Server in SMP
- Players no longer get the Saving Chunks screen  when taking something out of the Crafting Table
- Placing Rails in North/South direction, followed by placing a piece of rails on the side (and thus making a curve) results in no curve.
- "Outside" rain sound still plays when under a glass shelter.
- Wolves under a glass roof during rain will be perpetually stuck in the "shaking" animation
- During rain in SMP, the server may disconnect you if you attempt to place or destroy blocks.
- Wolves that were tamed before this update act weird when in contact with water.
- Minecarts on fire can no longer be put out by nearby water.
||April 20, 2011
 Beta 1.5_01
- Blocks can now be placed on snow.
- Rain no longer goes through translucent blocks.
- Pumpkin and Jack-O-Lantern inventory texture now correctly faces forward.
- Pumpkins are no longer worn backward on the player.
- Game no longer crashes when rails are placed next to detector rails, or vice versa.
- Wolves are less common than in 1.5, but still more common than in 1.4.
- Blocks cannot be placed back into the output slot of furnaces, thus fixing the statistic exploit.
- If Minecraft detects a broken save file, it will attempt to recover the world.
- SMP is severely broken.
- Many different activities will crash SMP with an "internal server error".
- Taking blocks out of crafting squares gives the player a Saving Chunks crash screen 
- Players are unable to place blocks on snow
- Rain and snow now fall through Water.
- Minecart Tracks of all types' placement behaves unexpectedly, not properly orienting after placement.
- Water does not change to Ice while snowing.
- Levers placed on snow will have the animation like the broken lever: Media:Brokenlever.png The broken lever will point west.
- Aggressive mobs are unable to jump over blocks when in pursuit of the player.
- Thunder can be heard at the bottom of the world.
- Sometimes while ⇧ Shift+clicking objects into chests, the ⇧ Shift key gets stuck on.
- Torches are lost when attempting to place them in water. Torches simply washed away can still be collected.
||April 19, 2011
 Beta 1.5
- Added Weather, including Rain, Snow, and Thunderstorms
- Pigs struck by lighting become a Zombie Pigman.
- Creepers struck by lightning become electrified and will have a much more powerful explosion.
- Added Statistics and Achievements.
- New Blocks
- New settings in options:
- Ability to change GUI size (Small, Normal, Large, Auto).
- Advanced OpenGL (Occlusion Culling: doesn't render blocks that the player can't "see", helps performance in cards that support it)
- ⇧ Shift+clicking on something in a chest will immediately move the selected item(s) into your inventory and vice-versa.
- Birch and Pine/Spruce trees now drop Birch and Pine/Spruce saplings, respectively.
- Pigs that die by burning now drop cooked porkchops upon death.
- Huge performance improvements for old and slow computers.
- Crafting a ladder now produces 2 ladders to offset the fix of the staggered-ladder exploit.
- Saplings can now serve as fuel in furnaces; they have the same smelting time as Sticks.
- Dropped items in flowing water move faster than before.
- Redstone dust can be placed on snow.
- Wolves are more common, even in non-taiga/forest biomes.
- Unarmed damage was increased from to .
- Pressing Tab ↹ will switch between input boxes.
- You are only 'on' a ladder (can climb it/fall slowly) if your lower half is in the ladder block, rather than any part of you.
- It is no longer possible to climb with a one-block gap in a ladder, or a ladder that starts at eye level.
- On fancy graphics, the sides of grass blocks are now biome-specific and match the shade on the top.
- Player movement through water has been fixed to previous speed.
- Wolves' pathfinding now has a better understanding of doors. They will go through doors most of the time, but will sometimes get stuck on the 3 pixel thickness of the door.
- The lighting on portals and ice has been fixed when using Smooth Lighting.
- Stairs are no longer transparent to light.
- On SMP, the health of wolves are now synchronized between server and client, causing wolves to only whimper when low on health, opposed to all of the time.
- Redstone in off state is red again.
- Crops hit with water now drop seeds and wheat, as opposed to just wheat.
- Moving minecarts will continue to move if the world is closed.
- The Mojang logo is the correct size when Minecraft is maximized.
- The exploit to make chests three or more side by side by placing a water source and placing a chest in that source has been fixed.
- ⇧ Shift + F2 doesn't attempt to create massive .tga screenshots, which are more than 1GB in size, anymore.
- Sugar cane can no longer be placed on any block that is not dirt.
- Advanced OpenGL is still toggle able on systems without Hardware OpenGL 2.0 Support.
- The counter for when weather will occur resets when a bed is used; players who often use beds seldom experience weather.
- Sneaking can rarely make it so you can place blocks on the block you're standing on.
- Repetitively putting items able to be smelted in the furnace counts as a crafting statistic.
- Achievements only work in SMP if you have already completed first achievement in Single Player.
- Achievements will sometimes disappear when you close and re-open the game and can sometimes be restored by closing and re-opening the game again.
- FPS counter commonly shows Chunk Updates instead of FPS.
- The game will crash if Detector Rails are placed beside normal rails.
- A crash will also occur if a normal rail is placed next to a Detector Rail that is connected to another rail.
- Blocks can't be placed on snow.
- If you change Advanced OpenGL to on and then back again, chunks that were hidden from the occlusion culling will still be hidden even when they are in your view.
- Jumping off a fence in SMP triggers an anti-flight kick.
- Rain will fall through transparent blocks including stairs, acting as if there is no block there.
- When hitting a grass block the destroying animation is darker on the side than the animation on top of the grass block, though only on fancy graphics.
- Flowing water no longer pushes empty minecarts or activated TNT that fall into it.
- The create new world screen's input boxes are misaligned when using small and normal GUI sizes.
- The Achievements screen does not pause the game.
- Traveling around corners in minecarts under certain circumstances crashes the game.
- Weather sounds don't play when fast graphics are used.
- Pine and birch saplings use the original sapling's particles.
- Resizing the window (not fullscreen) after typing in the world name and the seed, they both will be reset to "New World" and a blank seed.
- Mob Spawn rates seem to have increased by as much as 10 times.
- The burning state may remain on furnaces even though all fuel is consumed, all items able to be smelted are used, or the output-field is full.
- When Smooth Lighting is turned off, the middle of certain stair blocks appear black.
- The achievements screen turns the sky white at night.
- Deaths in SMP are not counted towards statistics.
- Powered Rails remain powered without redstone under certain circumstances.
||April 5, 2011
 Beta 1.4_01
- Removed the April Fools' joke. However, the locked chests are still obtainable by inventory editing or SMP /give command. They will disappear after a while.
- Beds now act as a respawn point as intended.
- Although this has been fixed for most players, in certain cases the bed may still fail to save the default spawn point.
- A glitch is present where using a pickaxe on a Mac could crash the game.
||March 31, 2011
 Beta 1.4
- New Minecraft logo (no longer 3D cobblestone blocks).
- Added wolves that the player can tame, or kill for no loot.
- Added Cookies which heal the player for 0.5 hearts.
- Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position, though does not work for most users. Apparently, at the moment the spawn point unintentionally only changes if "Leave bed" is clicked and the function is limited to SMP.
- Sneaking while climbing will hang on to the ladder, thus being a handy cave tool.
- Spiders will no longer trample crops and have walking sounds removed.
- Sheep can now spawn in Pink and Brown (however rarely)
- Cocoa Beans can be found in Dungeon chests.
- Wheat grows more quickly compared to 1.3_01
- The new default hotkey for the inventory is E.
- Added new block, Locked Chest, which was an April Fool's gag. It linked to the 'Minecraft Store', but now it has been removed.
- SMP servers can now have a new world seeded with an option in the Server.properties file.
- Lots of infrastructure for Statistics lists and Achievements have been implemented.
- Scale of UI may now be changed in options.txt located in the .minecraft folder.
- On a fresh install, modded blocks are removed from the map. This excludes modded blocks that are placed into chests.
- Zombies and Spiders now hurt you in all instances (previously could only hurt you if they were 1 block above your location).
- Client-sided slime spawn on SMP has been fixed.
- Arm no longer swings when you cannot place a block.
- Opening and closing the inventory quickly while swinging no longer removes the character 'swinging' animation, which previously made destroying blocks faster (SMP only).
- If a player hits himself with an arrow, any tamed wolves will attack the player.
- Tamed wolves whimper in SMP regardless of health. This is because client-side health was used instead of synchronizing the health level with the server's.
- Wolves cannot travel through doors. A small hole can be punched out near the door as they are 1x1, thus creating a "doggy-door" until their pathfinding is updated to recognize open doors as a path they can walk through.
- Beds do not act as the spawn point as intended, especially if it changes without reloading the save. In most instances, it is unconfirmed that the spawn point is even changed at all.
- Several light calculation glitches were introduced, which can be seen when destroying or placing a block near tree leaves and other translucent blocks in Fast or Fancy graphics settings, or loading a new chunk that contains overhangs.
- Sometimes torches do not emit light, but can be forced to by placing a light emitting torch near them. If these torches are removed, the light will not go away.
- In SMP, a Monster Spawner that spawns pigs will spawn client side pigs. Like other client-side glitches, they cannot be attacked and upon a re-join, will vanish.
- In SMP, most (If not all) Redstone Pulsars / Blinkers will not work.(The change time command causes all circuits to malfunction. Server mods that affect server time also seem to affect circuits. Strangely enough, in SSP any mods used to change time will not disrupt circuits in any way.)
- Flowing Water will push the player with more force.
||February 23, 2011
 Beta 1.3_01
- Dependencies on Java 1.6 are gone
- Fixed the recent issues on some Macs in which the game would crash when "Singleplayer" button was clicked on
- Able to connect Client to Minecraft Server 1.3
- Fixed item duplication glitch
||February 22, 2011
 Beta 1.3
- New blocks/items (Redstone Repeaters, Beds)
- Added three new half-size blocks (Wooden Slab, Cobblestone Slab, Sandstone Slab)
- Breaking a block made of two slabs now drops 2 slabs.
- Slimes have a higher spawn rate
- New Mojang logo splash screen
- Graphics settings screen
- Ability to toggle between classic lighting and "smooth" lighting
- Worlds now use a generic McRegion chunk save format, with built-in auto conversion
- While starting a new world, players can choose the world's name and seed to generate the world from.
- More than 5 Worlds possible
- Scrollbars added in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen
- Added whitelisting to the server. To use, enter whitelist <cmd> where cmd is on, off, add <player>, remove <player>, list or reload
- F1 and F3 are now toggled when pressed.
- When F3 is toggled on, mobs display their unique entity ID numbers over their heads.
- F8 toggles mouse smoothing
- In 3rd person mode, character can be visibly seen to bob side to side when you walk (only when View Bobbing is enabled).
- Sandstone is now found at the bottom of naturally generated sand.
- All pressure plates now require two of its materials, instead of 3. Stone slabs are now created by using 3 of the materials (see specific block pages for further information)
- Mine time for Sandstone decreased.
- Redstone Wire will get darker the farther away it is from a source of power.
- Fewer passive Mobs when on harder modes.
- Deleting world confirmation changed slightly.
- Sulphur renamed back to Gunpowder
- When breaking double slabs (one slab placed on another) it will drop two slabs instead of one.
- Wood and logs don't burn forever anymore.
- Grassland/Sand-related biome border fixed (Boundaries line up, rather than obviously show chunk borders)
- No longer receiving Java Log error .txt file spam in the minecraft.exe folder when closing the Minecraft client program.
- Players can no longer use the click-release to quickly mine blocks (referred to as "click mining"). Note: Only applies to SMP.
- Players no longer glitch when standing on fences in SMP
- Players can no longer milk Squids.
- When right-clicking on a wooden door while holding a bow or fishing rod, arrows will no longer be fired into the door, nor will the fishing hook be cast into the door. (?)
- Hostile mobs can now be attacked properly in SMP
- Lapis Lazuli Ore now drops 4-8 Lapis Lazuli Dyes in SMP
- Bedrock and other blocks cannot be removed by tilling grass or dirt with a hoe and placing seeds anymore.
- Slimes can be killed, but split into smaller slimes regardless of weapon used. Only one split slime can be damaged, the others are 'ghost' slimes which disappear upon reconnecting.
- The game will occasionally crash if you enter a Nether portal while in a minecart.
- Levers can be placed on the bottom of a block, as long as there is an open space, and a block horizontal to the open space. The lever will act as if placed on the horizontal block, but looks glitched, as shown here: Media:Brokenlever.png
- If someone uses their bed in SMP, other players may get disconnected. (Un-Recognizable Packet ID: 17)
- Wooden Slabs are best mined with pickaxe, not an axe.
- The particle colors for wood and sandstone slabs are gray.
- The particle colors for Redstone Repeaters are the same of pumpkins.
- Zombies and Spiders cannot hurt players unless they are above them or jumping(true in SSP only).
- If debug screen is toggled on in a world and you save and quit to title screen, the graph stays on the screen.
- Lighting bugs on transparent blocks with smooth lighting.
- When a player drowns or is otherwise killed near or in water, all 10 bubbles of the breath bar show up.
- If a redstone torch which is placed on the side of a block receives power, it will turn off permanently and must be manually reset. It will not turn back on.
- Redstone Repeaters may stay on when without turning off when turned on and off repeatedly for a long time. May be the blocks equivalent to a Redstone Torch burn out.
- Once a redstone torch is burnt out, any torch placed in that position will immediately burn out when given power. Torches will also remain burnt out forever.
- F1 in 3rd person mode no longer switches to front-on view
- No response from Minecraft Server 1.3
- Creating a new world or first joining an SMP server will spawn 64 torches, 63 stacked beds, 1 unstacked bed, and Diamond tools (later fixed).
||February 21, 2011
 Launcher update
- Updates now voluntary
- Official Links added
- Community Links added
- Command line support added
- Twitter Links added
- Ability to choose Minecraft directory location - Edit: Ability to open minecraft directory, the ability to change it, has yet not been implemented, though it was predicted.
||January 21, 2011
 Beta 1.2_02
- Skins are now downloaded from Amazon S3 instead of minecraft.net
- Lapis Lazuli Ore now drops 4 - 8 Lapis Lazuli per block mined (increased from 1) on single player only (Minecraft Beta servers have not been affected yet).
- Lapis Lazuli Ore can be found at bedrock level.
- Ink Sacks have been renamed to "Ink Sacs".
||January 14, 2011
 Beta 1.2_01
- Fixed various blocks acting really weird when placed (rails, torches, and more)
- Optimized performance
- Added a new painting that was not added in version 1.2
- Reduced spawn rates a bit
- Fixed a whole pile of lighting bugs
- No more ghosts at night
- Added a temporary fix to get rid of chunk visibility errors.
- Splash text on the Main Menu returned to normal. (No longer constantly shows the quote "Finally beta!")
- Slimes were re-added to the game with a very low spawn rate.
||January 13, 2011
 Beta 1.2
- New addition: charcoal
- Note Blocks (right click to tune, trigger to play)
- 15 wool dyes
- A new passive water-dwelling mob (Squid), which drops the new item Ink Sack
- New tree types (Birch, Pine)
- Reeds retconned into sugar canes. They still make paper.
- A bunch of new crafting recipes
- One secret useful block (Dispenser)
- One secret pretty block (Lapis Lazuli)
- Sugar - Crafted from Sugar Cane
- Default furnaces given new look
- Bones added to the drop table, exclusively for skeleton archers.
- Bones can be crafted into Bone Meal.
- New gray, light gray, and black sheep. Drop correspondingly colored wool.
- Tools made out of wood, stone, iron, and possibly diamond have increased durability.
- Gold tools can remove blocks like stone and wood much more quickly than their diamond counterparts, with the same durability and restrictions as before 1.2.
- Spiders can climb up walls.
- Mob Spawners again show a rotating model inside of what they spawn in single player.
- Wheat Seeds might be harvested more often when plowing grass blocks.
- Included the FastRender mod by Scaevolus.
- Screenshots can be taken using the F2 key without having to first hold down the F1 key.
- Iron, diamond, and coal are found in larger amounts (at least) in caves.
- Paintings work in multiplayer
- Disconnecting while riding no longer keeps the player in the world
- A bunch more state is properly synched in multiplayer
- Included PowerPC color and audio fixes by Scaevolus.
- Fixed a horrible chunk reload loop in singleplayer
- Fixed most lighting bugs in newly generated SMP maps
- Falling sand behaves better in SMP
- Fixed a few crash on load level bugs
- Jack-O-Lantern now has correct tooltip.
- Sheep now visibly lose their wool when hit in SMP.
||December 22, 2010
 Beta 1.1_02
- Fixed the chest not opening with empty hands bug.
||December 22, 2010
 Beta 1.1_01
- Added a missing font file in the package build.
||December 22, 2010
 Beta 1.1 (Patch)
- Attempt to patch missing font file.
||December 22, 2010
 Beta 1.1.0
- Fixed "fancy" characters not working in the game by detaching font resources from the code.
- Rewrote leaf decay.
- Fixed FPS drops in single player.
- Fixed players getting spammed with data and getting disconnected in SMP.
- Fixed the item dupe bug in SMP.
- Missing font file.
- A few special events happened on the following specific days (according to system time):
- On the date of Christmas Eve to Boxing Day:
- The quote on the main menu said, "Merry X-mas!"
- All players wore a Christmas themed cape.
- On the date of New Year's Eve:
- All players wore a purple cape with an 11 on it to celebrate the coming year.
- On the date of New Years Day:
- The quote on the main menu said, "Happy New Year!"
||December 21, 2010
 Beta 1.0.2
- Fixed problem where game wouldn't run on Macs plus possibly other unknown fixes.
- Added Smooth Lighting. (No option to turn it off. Removed in next update due to bugs.)
||December 20, 2010
 Beta 1.0_01
- Fixed double chest bug.
- Fixed rare crash on level load bug.
- Frame rate/performance issues not fully fixed.
- Disconnects from multiplayer servers due to overflow.
- Crashes after login on GNU/Linux
||December 20, 2010
 Beta 1.0
- Working server-side inventory. And as a result of that, a whole pile of bugs and issues got fixed.
- Tools thrown on the ground don't repair themselves anymore.
- Made SMP servers save chunks way less often in most cases. Chunks don’t resave if they got saved in the last 30 seconds.
- Moving too far away from a chest, or having it blow up, closes the inventory screen.
- Fixed /kill.
- Introduced leaf decay again. It acts differently from before.
- You can now throw eggs.
- Throwing an egg has a chance of spawning a chicken.
- Added super exclusive clan cloaks for Mojang Employees.
- ...and something else, which is even more rare (DeadMau5 skin only in use on Deadmau5's server).
- Tooltips in inventory - When you mouse over an item, its name appears.
- You can't store things in the inventory crafting fields anymore.
- New constant splash text on the main menu: "Finally Beta!"
- When looking in a double chest you can't do anything with the two bottom rows in your inventory.
- Players get disconnected after a short while on local Minecraft servers.
- Game starting problem for some people (especially Mac).
- Item duplication bug.
- Performance issues due to the new leaf decay algorithm