||This page contains content on features that will be included in a future update.
These features are confirmed, but not yet added to the game.
This page is about upcoming features that have been announced by Mojang employees.
1.8.1 is an upcoming update to Minecraft with no set release date.
doEntityDrops - Works like
doTileDrops but applies to entities instead.
- Ryan Holtz (TheMogMiner) and Michael Stoyke (Searge) are now mentioned in the credits
doTileDrops no longer affects entities
- Jack o'Lanterns
- No longer run from creepers
- Potion of Leaping
- Witch huts
- Newly generated witch huts can spawn witches on Y 64 to 71
- This allows for three spawning floors in witch farms
- Renamed "Multiplayer Settings" to "Chat Settings" from 1.5.x and lower.
- 87 issues fixed
- From released versions before
- MC-3 – Player facing changes when passing through nether portals in certain cases
- MC-460 – Experience orb position client-server desync
- MC-1279 – Slow (Choppy) Rotating Beacon Block
- MC-1607 – Ghost End Portal in The End / Missing layer with AMD/ATI graphics cards
- MC-2545 – Persistent Chunk error / Corrupted world / Wrong location spam
- MC-3448 – Statistic screen icons messed up
- MC-4167 – EXP orbs will switch locations after a second or so from killing a mob.
- MC-6594 – Non-living entities (boats, minecarts, falling sand, item frames, paintings) drop items even if
doTileDrops is set to false
- MC-10808 – Sprinting and breaking particles of piston arms use same particles as piston even though there is no stone on the arms
- MC-12013 – Experience Orbs are invisible for one second right after spawning
- MC-37782 – Items held by witches are too small and held wrongly
- MC-38385 – Hopper:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: bad Base64 input character at 4036: 5 (decimal)
- MC-44542 – Tools with
CanDestroy set to allow the breaking of certain blocks don't display proper block name on the tooltip (English (US) language only)
- MC-45537 – Cannot place buttons under stairs or slabs, or on top of upside down stairs or slabs
- MC-46579 – Items are too high up on the arm in 3rd person mode while sneaking
- MC-48011 – Ender dragon experience drops are not affected by
- MC-48130 –
/fill replace command not filling when clicking tab
- MC-49126 – Glowstone crystal formations are missing their bottom layers
- MC-49538 – Achievement "Overpowered" Has Misleading Icon
- MC-52717 – Placing heads / skulls break existing blocks
- MC-53718 – Chicken jockey riding inside chicken
- MC-54551 – Resizing window while in Customized World Settings snaps back to Customized Settings page 1
- MC-54707 – Command:
/setblock minecraft:sign <y> <z> <tilename> produces a confusing error message
- MC-55661 – Animals don't teleport to Player when target is air block
- MC-56574 –
/tellraw open_url isn't showing url
- MC-58307 – Air bubbles appear after drowning and still dead
- MC-59216 – Unable to build iron golem and snow golem with jack o'lantern
- MC-59360 – Levers Pop Off Non-Solid Blocks
- MC-62140 – 2 block tall flowers generated in previous version removes the 2nd block
- MC-62758 – Tall flowers drop two items when block below is broken
- MC-63466 – Ctrl +Pick Block gives a steve head instead of a head with the owner's skin
- MC-64082 – Enchantment options for individual players are reset after death.
KeepInventory does not have any affect.
- MC-64427 –
/debug with invalid arguments don't print an error message
- MC-64773 –
- MC-64846 – Cannot extend Potion of Leaping to eight minutes using redstone in a brewing stand.
- MC-65603 – Ender Dragon does not obey
- MC-65834 – Snow layers placed against the side of a block are placed one block too far out
- MC-65945 – Enderman blocks look weird when invisible
- MC-66324 –
/clone has incomplete syntax
- MC-66658 –
/kill does not tab autocomplete with a player's name
- MC-66786 – Incorrect death message for dispensed harming potions
- MC-66861 – when press Tab ↹ on
/entitydata, players pop up
- MC-66922 – <effect> argument in
/effect does not show clear in help syntax
- MC-67437 – Lightning gives AI to Witches and Zombie Pigman that were originally Pigs and Villagers that had
NoAI set to 1
- MC-68160 – Placing a coloured banner on a cactus drops a black banner
- MC-68247 – Beacon Beam disappears while looking upwards from it
- MC-68400 – Creative Inventory vert. scrollbar changes without scrolling.
- MC-68497 – Cut/Copy function updates clipboard even if nothing is selected
- MC-68654 – Tab Complete -
- MC-68745 –
/resourcepacks/ folder is not automatically created when initially starting the game
- MC-68891 – Mobs think daylight sensor is a full block, causing them to jump while trying to get off it
- MC-69266 – Snow layer placing behavior buggy and inconsistent
- MC-69323 – Certain commands do not allow tab completing coordinate arguments
- MC-69823 –
/debug help text wrong
- MC-69983 – Multiplayer Settings named wrongly
- MC-69984 – The "Defaults" popup on the customized world generation options screen doesn't disable hovering over stuff behind it
- MC-69989 – Debug worlds generate one column twice
- MC-70054 – Rabbits don't follow players holding golden carrots or dandelions
- MC-70111 – When a thrown ender pearl is in the air, it disappears after relogging.
- MC-70305 – "Sprint" is in the wrong category in Controls screen
- MC-70308 – Bottom outline is missing in the Controls screen buttons
- MC-70338 – Hopper:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space - creating debug image whilst stitching textures
- MC-70359 – Block breaking remains when eating/blocking with a sword
- MC-70431 – Minecraft 1.8 skin bug!
- MC-70472 – Crash when trying to connect to a server with more than 73 characters address
- MC-70565 – when opening a chest in modded servers Minecraft crashes continuously
- MC-70675 – End credits make no mention of Ryan Holtz (TheMogMiner) or Michael Stoyke (Searge)
- MC-71777 –
/achievement take taking too many achievements
- MC-71973 – Tab list headers and footers stay even when rejoining a different server
- MC-71981 – Uploading a hardcore world to Realms retains auto-ban
- MC-72166 – Banners disappear at some angles.
- MC-72524 – Can't place buttons on top of redstone blocks
- MC-72583 –
doTileDrops affects item frames
- MC-72806 – When using
/stop server executes the shutdown sequence twice (and hangs if players are online)
- MC-72868 – Mobs glitch through the ground under certain conditions
- MC-72869 – The 'Defaults' button on the Customized world screen does not disable itself after use
- MC-72871 – Resizing the game makes buttons on "Defaults" popup on Customized world GUI disappear
- From the 1.8 development versions
- MC-46670 – Withers trapped in a barrier box attacks barriers, killing it
- MC-46809 –
/say Not Showing Villager Entity Data if '
- MC-47987 – Entering a mobs view in spectator mode does not change if world is changed
- MC-58908 –
/worldborder not updated.
- MC-61610 – Bedrock at Y0 has wood log in it at x0 y0 z0.
- MC-61844 – Creepers target Iron Golems, causing terrain damage without interaction of a player
- MC-64455 – Item with
CanPlaceOn have missing translations for ALL languages
- MC-64598 – Creative search tab text becomes offset.
- MC-65276 – bow when held is upside down
- MC-69562 – Can't play LAN whilst offline
1.9 is an upcoming update to Minecraft with no set release date, currently only listed in the bug tracker as "Far Future Version - 1.9+", as well as mentioned by the Minecraft Developers.
- A way for mod/plugin makers to implement new commands and register them in a simple way.   
- Animation in Entity Models
- Could possibly include model changes via NBT.
- Would be implemented via resource packs.
- This will make better use of changes in the code, so map makers/mod makers can create better/new mobs
- Basically what had happened with the block data change in 1.8
- May take some time before it is fully finished
- Command Blocks
- New GUI
- Will contain tab to complete.
- New Cloud Rendering System.
- Switch away from using fixed-function OpenGL to using Shaders.
- 18 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.9
- MC-349 – Villagers ignore data tags in trading.
- MC-669 – Failing to place blocks in creative mode causes an animation.
- MC-1720 – Dropped items bounce on stairs, cauldrons, carpets and full/locked hoppers.
- MC-2310 – Villager/Player getting killed by zombie through a closed door.
- MC-3059 – Bow and arrow can fire through doors and fences.
- MC-4272 – Zombie Pigmen don't attack in groups when fighting other mobs.
- MC-4504 – The hitbox of brewing stands is missing the blaze rod.
- MC-10447 – Pick up framed enchanted items with "Pick Block (MOUSE 3)" doesn't give you the enchanted item.
- MC-12456 – Fences won't attach to layered snow blocks.
- MC-12549 – 1.5 Odd mob 'magnetised attraction' behaviour.
- MC-14525 – Name tag doesn't work on entities with right click ability.
- MC-16204 – New creative GUI showing detailed effects does not show on some potions. Neither to bows.
- MC-28479 – Chest interface not closed when chest is blocked from opening.
- MC-42841 – Incorrect creative instant health damage value.
- MC-52802 – Mob head takes a fraction of a second to change to selected head.
- MC-54486 – Glass panes and iron bars don't connect to graphically opaque blocks that are registered as transparent. e.g. slime blocks, ender portal frame blocks and monster spawner blocks.
- MC-55942 – Nether Wart hitbox is incorrect on multiplayer. (Untested on singleplayer.)
- MC-67163 – Damage value for objective
stat.mineBlock is missing.
Other planned features, items, and blocks
||This page or section has been suggested to be merged with Unimplemented features as the articles share similar information or a common topic. Discuss
|Account System Update
||This will include the ability to change your Minecraft username and have multiple copies of Minecraft per account. This will come sometime after 1.8 is released.
||Audio loops have not yet been added to the game, but may be implemented to play when the player is in a specific location (In caves, forests, oceans, and beside a waterfall). This has been partially added in 1.4 with the addition of lava and water ambient sounds.
||Dinnerbone plans to make buckets fillable from cauldrons.
||Jeb mentioned that they hoped to add better systems for analyzing constructions, such as village houses — currently a lone door will be considered a village house.
|Easier way to implement terrain changes
||Dinnerbone said in a Reddit AMA that he planned on making an easier way to implement terrain changes
||Notch mentioned on his blog, The World of Notch, that friends lists would be added after Beta 1.8. The Minecraft documentary team of 2 Player Productions filmed a Keynote roadmap, containing these lines. Kristoffer mentioned on Twitter that he is currently working on friends lists for Scrolls, then for other Mojang games. These will be available for players with Mojang accounts. At MineCon 2012 Jeb stated that it would be a large implementation on the server side and will be used for all Mojang games, and that is a big project.
||Jeb responded to CyrusdoestheRS stating they may be added one day.
||Jon Kagstrom commented on Reddit that he would like to add more animals, such as fish, birds, and tree animals, to make the game seem more alive. Dinnerbone said he would like to add pandas, but had no plans at the time to add more mobs.
||Dinnerbone said in a Reddit AMA that they planned on adding more ores
|More structures in biomes
||Dinnerbone said in a Reddit AMA that he will look into more structures in biomes
|More types of caves
||Dinnerbone said in a Reddit AMA that they planned on adding more types of caves
|Rare tools/weapons normally unobtainable
||Dinnerbone said on Twitter he would like to add weapons/tools that cannot be crafted, and only obtained by treasure chests/trading, etc. For example, bows with faster drawback, boots that increase health, or night vision helmets. However, the attribute system has to be finished first.
||Dinnerbone stated that there will be a way to remove enchantments from items.
|Rendering Engine Rewrite
||First confirmed for 1.5, but not added yet. The features will require a higher OpenGL feature-set and include some sort of fallback for older hardware. The rewritten engine will allow for much faster overall rendering, resulting in higher FPS. This has partially been added in 1.7 and in 1.8
||Dinnerbone mentioned on Twitter that he was experimenting with adding seasons, and varying the length of day and night according to season. He also mentioned it during MineCon 2013. Seasons may include changes in color of tree leaves and may also be tied to real time.
||Dinnerbone stated in a Reddit AMA that he will look into adding subtitles, making the game more convenient for people who have the inability to hear.
||Dinnerbone said on Twitter that he will add treasure maps, which would presumably lead to hidden treasure chests
|Workbench (Mod/Plugin API)