On most multiplayer servers, protecting your house is a must. One way to protect your house is to prevent people from even knowing where your house is. To accomplish this, one should use a hidden door. Ranging from a hole in the ground to an elaborate piston contraption, building a secret door can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Some hidden doors are more reliable than others, but it is up to you to decide which door to make. Extra security measures can be added to any of them, and several hidden doors can be combined, but most of these doors have some sort of drawback. This article will aim to cover the basics of a few types of hidden doors.
Simple Door[edit | edit source]
This is the most simple hidden door to make, as it does not have to involve any items or tools, (unless built into a stone wall). Not only that, but it could be classified as the most hidden door. Firstly, you need a location. Anywhere will do, as long as it is not somewhere that someone will likely decide to mine. After you have chosen a location, you break a hole in the ground or a cliff side, and build your house hidden in the ground. Then when you leave, patch up the entrance and remember the location (take a screenshot with coordinates if you want (press F3 to show coordinates)) then when you want to enter, break the blocks concealing the entrance and walk in, but don't forget to patch it up again once you get inside. You can leave through the same way.
- Possibly the most hidden door there is, it is not in anyway detectable unless you leave the 'door' open or somebody sees your name tag floating around inside a hill (but this problem can be solved by sneaking)
- Very cost friendly, and recommended for starting out on a PVP server, or any server you don't want to be robbed of your valuables early game.
- Slow to get in or out, so there is plenty of time for mobs (or Players) you are running from to kill you or robbers to spot your secret and steal your stuff.
- Easy to forget to 'shut' your 'door', and let things in, and get robbed of your valuables.
- Easy to forget the location, and lose not only your stuff, but your house (this can be solved by taking a screenshot, but it is tedious to go back and forth between files to find where your home is).
- If someone does happen to find it, (maybe your judgement of where people mine was slightly off) they won't think of you as a particularly experienced player.
- You have to wait for the dirt to turn into grass. However, this can be avoided with a Silk Touch shovel.
Time-Based Hidden Door[edit | edit source]
The daylight sensor can come in handy for the creation of a door that opens based on the time. The easiest model of this door would attaching a daylight sensor to half of a Jeb door. Now that the daylight sensor can be toggled, players can use it to conceal a door that will either open during the night or day. Its easy to build and difficult to spot.
- Does not require a lot of resources.
- Does not require large spaces and is easy to build.
- Activates automatically according to the time, players need not execute any actions.
- Entrance will open for quite a while, allowing trespassers to enter.
- Door will only open at certain timings.
Fishing in lava door[edit | edit source]
First off, you need a lava pool. This can be either natural or artificial. If you can, make it look natural. Put a WOODEN pressure plate somewhere at the bottom of the lava pool. Remember where it is (a screenshot may be useful). After this, you must dig under the lava pool, and put redstone wiring beneath the pressure plate, connecting it to a piston secret door. When you wish to enter your base, fish at the wood pressure plate (make sure you don't take too long, or you could get spotted). Alternatively you can use a garbage lava bin instead of a pool which will provide an apparent reason for the lava being where it is. If the fishing bobber hits, the plate will activate a redstone current, opening the door. To close the door after entering, retract the bobber. A button can be used to get out. But then again, people will ask why you're fishing in lava if they catch you.(Try to have an excuse, something like "I wanted to see if fishing rods burn if you fish in lava.")
- Hard to find, if someone is looking for a secret base, they tend not to have a fishing rod equipped.
- Once you get good at it, you can get in and out rather quickly
- It is hard to find your base by accident as most people don't waste their fishing rod's durability by fishing in lava.
- The wiring is relatively simple, and if you find the pool yourself, it is rather low cost compared to some others.
- Unfortunately, the lava must be PERFECTLY flat AND EVEN!
- If you do not have a fishing rod with you, it is much harder to get in, and you risk revealing your base if the door was made of smooth stone, as when you mine up the door and replace it, you need to smelt the cobblestone to avoid making it obvious that someone has patched up something
- Easy to forget where the pressure plate is, and spend huge amounts of time fishing around for it.
- If someone decides to take out the lava and use it, then they would find the pressure plate and definitely find your base.
Secret Painting Door[edit | edit source]
Start by making a 1x2 gap where you want your doorway to be. Be sure that the wall area around the secret doorway is big enough for the size of Painting you want. For example, for a 2x3 painting, you will need 2 blocks on both sides of the secret doorway, because the doorway counts as 2 blocks. The painting will not stay on the wall unless you follow the next directions carefully: First, place a solid block in the bottom of your doorway, and in the top section place a sign.
To put up the painting in the right spot, look at the lower left-hand corner block of where you want the painting and right-click on that block (hint: you may need to replace the painting a few times to get the right size).
A way to make the doorway easy to enter is by making a 2x2 hole and putting four signs on the side, then use the sides of the signs to put up a 2x2 painting, allowing a bigger hole to walk through.
There is a second method to this as well. Simply place a regular door into the wall, they can be single or double doors. Open them and then place a painting as you would regularly do. The doors register as full blocks, so the painting will go over the door seamlessly. The important part is having the doors be open, because there is no way to open them through the painting. The doors can be powered by redstone to form a solid wall upon first inspection, then open up to reveal a hidden room with the push of a lever, pressure plate, or button.
If you would like to make a higher security version of this door, it is basically like the above method. Instead of having a lever or button out in the open that anyone could find and open the door with, you can dig out a block next to the door but still behind the painting and place a wooden pressure plate in the opening. It MUST be wooden. Remember where the plate is and when you want to open the door, throw an item through the painting and onto the plate. The door will open, you will walk through the painting and door, and it will close behind you after you pick up the item on the pressure plate. It is good idea to use iron doors if you are near a village because villagers opening the door through the painting (which they can do) would give it away.
- Easily set up
- Many know about this and tend to tear down any painting they find (If they don't care about you knowing they were there)
- Can take forever to get the right painting
- Paintings are prone to being knocked down if you are not careful around them
Piston Hidden Door[edit | edit source]
Underwater Hidden Door[edit | edit source]
Doors and entrances can actually be hidden underwater. This is accomplished via the use of water blocking objects such as trapdoors, ladders, signs etc. Many players prefer to hide these underwater entrances in man-made fountains, bodies of water or behind/in waterfalls. When creating an entrance in the base of a body of water dig a small hole, 1 block only is hidden the best. Then place a ladder at the entrance of the hole, you should see that this will block out the water, leaving an air pocket. You can now continue this ladder shaft down into your base. Be careful when placing torches or light sources to not make this hole easily noticeable.
This secret door can be coupled with a piston and a wooden pressure plate to make your base hidden even better. The player tosses an item into a hole a short distance away from the door. This hole can either have the pressure plate in it, or can have a water stream to move the item, and be either above or below water. When the item lands on the pressure plate, a redstone signal retracts the piston, opening the door. After entering, the player can collect the dropped item to close the door. A button can be used to open the door for enough time to swim out.
Lava Door[edit | edit source]
Minecarts can be used to teleport through lava, and your player will instantly be inside the minecart without actually having to go through the lava. This can be used to your advantage. First, make your doorway (at least 3 layers) of blocks as the door frame. Then place one minecart rail on the floor outside the doorway directly in front of it, and another inside, directly behind your doorway. On each of these rails, place a minecart. Optionally, half steps may be placed around the rails to keep the minecart from being pushed. Remove one block from the top middle layer of the door way, and remove one directly below this hole on the floor as well. Then get a bucket of lava, and place the lava into the top gap inside the doorway, being careful to move out of the way immediately to avoid getting a faceful of lava. You can now use your Lava Door by clicking through the lava to the minecart on the other side.
On the side of the doorway that is open to the rest of the world (aka the people you're trying to keep out), remove the previously mentioned half slabs and build a convincing minecart track off of where the minecart sits. this ensures people won't wonder why a random minecart is sitting next to a lava flow, as they will probably assume that it is a minecart incinerator rather than a secret entrance. one problem with this is that the minecart may be accidentally pushed into the lava by another player while you are inside your base, thus trapping you inside. a way to fix this is to set up a redstone torch to turn on while a cart is sitting on a detector rail in front of the entrance so you know if it's safe to attempt teleporting through to the outside. to throw off even the smartest people who would question why you have a detector rail in front of your supposed minecart incinerator, you should also wire up the detector to a mechanism that looks important to the automation of the system, which, once again, is supposed to be a minecart incinerator. please note that it may be more convenient to build your secret entry way into an actual minecart incinerator than to build a fake minecart incinerator around your pre-existing secret entry way as this optional step describes.
Other Lava Doors:
You can use Fire Resistance to evade the damage of lava for a short duration. If you build your base under a lava pit, you can use a Potion of Fire Resistance (or /effect) to enter unscathed. NOTE: You will move slowly in the lava still, so make sure you have lots of time on your Fire Resistance!
Lava and Water Entrance[edit | edit source]
This entrance is extremely dangerous, as the player is required to go into lava briefly. In addition, it is impossible to exit, unless the player uses a fire resistance potion. However, an inefficient exit may be formed by making a 1-way portal to a very high platform, and then jumping into water below the platform. Dig a 1x1x5 hole in the ground. Place a sign inside the hole, 1 block below the opening and 3 blocks above the bottom of the hole. Place another sign one block above the bottom of the hole. Fill the lower 1x1x1 gap fully with water, and fill the top with lava. The signs hold the water and lava in position. When you enter, you fall through the lava into water, then into a 1x1x2 hole. You can use this to continue building a passageway.
OPTIONAL: Build a 5x5 hut around it with a door, with a sign labeled "Trash Deposit" to fend against anyone thinking that there is a secret base in there. The lava will also trick them! You should also place a door in front of the lava so the lava doesn't flow out.
WARNING: Make sure to wear armor, or use a potion of fire resistance! If you do not, the lava will kill you and your inventory will fall in the lava unless the gamerule keepInventory is true.