A thunderstorm is a fairly uncommon weather condition which takes place randomly during rain or snowfall. In thunderstorms, lightning occurs and the light level falls to 7. Even in the middle of the day, hostile mobs will be able to spawn. However, fewer mobs will spawn relative to night.
Lightning is a lethal element to the storm. It strikes randomly across the world, creating brief fires. While most are put out almost immediately by the rain, it is possible for it to ignite wood and other flammable blocks.
- Light level falls to 7 during daytime. Hostile mobs are allowed to spawn. Like rain, thunderstorms won't reduce the light level below 4 at night.
- The Sun, moon and stars become non-visible.
- The player can sleep in a bed during a thunderstorm, regardless of the time of day.
- Blazes, endermen, and snow golems are harmed by the rain.
- Lightning creates fire where it strikes. The accompanying rain can usually put out fires before they spread. Overhangs can prevent rain from putting out lightning fires, allowing the fire to spread.
- Thunder can be heard by the player up to 512 blocks away from where the lightning strikes.
- If lightning manages to strike a Nether portal frame, it will activate the portal.
- If lightning strikes TNT, it will detonate.
- Entities struck by lightning or standing near a lightning strike are dealt of damage (except pigs), not including damage from the fire.
- If lightning strikes and kills the player, most of the items in the inventory will be lost.Verify
- If lightning strikes a boat, the boat will disappear and usually destroy the drops.
- If lightning strikes a minecart, it will break the minecart and usually destroy the drop.
- If lightning strikes a painting, it will cause it to fall off of the wall.
- If lightning strikes a pig, it turns into a zombie pigman. However, if the player's difficulty is on peaceful, the zombie pigman immediately despawns.
- If lightning strikes a creeper, it becomes charged.
- As of 14w03a, if lightning strikes a villager, it turns into a witch. However, if the player's difficulty is on peaceful, the witch immediately despawns.
 Additional strikes will not make further changes.
- Lightning strikes do not destroy blocks.
- Lightning will still occur in biomes with snowfall.Verify
- Lightning can go directly through blocks to hit the ground.
- As long as you are within 512 blocks of lightning, thunder will be heard at the same time as it strikes.
- Thunder can be heard all the way down to the bedrock layer, even in the Void. Like ambiance, thunder is not an indicator of anything but areas that were struck by lightning.
- If the player is killed by a lightning strike in multiplayer, the death message will simply read: [player] died.
- Lightning, unlike other weather, does not have an image file associated with it. Thus, it is coded directly into the game engine, allowing for dynamic, realistic lightning.
- Forest fires made by lightning are rare unless the lightning strikes underneath a tree, where the rain would not be able to extinguish the fire.
- If lightning strikes between you and your line of vision to a lit End portal, the portal becomes invisible during the strike.