Dead Bush: No
When broken normally, all variants have will drop either nothing or seeds. Grass and ferns must be broken using shears to obtain as an item.
The double tall grass and large ferns will drop two of the respective single block tall grass when broken with shears.
Water will destroy any tall grass in its way.
 Natural generation
Ferns and large ferns occur naturally only in jungle, taiga, and mega taiga biomes.
 Bone Meal
Bone meal can also be used on either tall grass or a fern to create a double tall grass or large fern.
Grass requires a block light of 8 or higher to survive.
All variants of grass have a 1/24 chance of droping seeds. In addition, using shears to harvest the block itself will have a 1/24 chance to drop seeds as well.
 Flower Pots
Ferns can be placed in flower pots.
 Data Values
|8||Top Half of any Large Plant; low three bits 0x7 are derived from the block below.|
|1.6||Tall grass was implemented. Seeds used to be produced by tilling grass blocks prior to this update.|
|1.6.6||Bone Meal can be used to instantly grow Tall Grass on grass blocks.|
|1.8||Previously, tall grass couldn't be acquired as an item without inventory hacking. Hacked tall grass in your inventory would appear as the base texture for it, and would appear as the "dead shrub" variety when placed on the map. This was changed in Beta 1.8, and now Grass and Ferns can be harvested with Shears.|
|The triangular-looking fern was rare, and only found in Swampland and Rain Forest biomes before the 1.8 Adventure Update. After the Adventure Update, since Swamp biomes were redesigned and Rain Forest removed entirely, ferns no longer generated naturally.|
|1.0.0||Ferns were made available in Creative.|
|1.2.1||Ferns re-appeared in Jungle biomes.|
|1.2.1||12w05a||Previously, grass made building difficult because it had to be removed to place blocks in that space. Now, any blocks placed in the same space as grass will replace the grass, similar to snow.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Added double tallgrass and large ferns. Ferns now spawn in taiga and cold taiga biomes.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||Tall grass, fern and dead bush added.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added double tall grass and large ferns.|
|Tall grass, ferns and dead bushes now spawn naturally.|
|build 5||Tall grass is no longer flammable.|
|TU1||Grass, tall grass, fern and dead bush added.|
|TU7||Added ferns to creative.|
|TU12||Previously, grass made building difficult because it had to be removed to place blocks in that space. Now, any blocks placed in the same space as grass will replace the grass, similar to snow.|
Issues relating to "Grass", "Fern", "Double Tallgrass", or "Large Fern" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- One of the variants of grass looks identical to the dead bush, but is able to give seeds and has an offset from the ground.
- It can be obtained using
/give @p tallgrass 1 0.
- It can be obtained using
- Grass cannot be directly set on fire from lightning. However, fire from nearby blocks can spread to it. Oddly enough, the top of grass can be lit but it will not burn this way. When any kind of tall grass is set on fire, the fire seems to hover just over the grass, as if it were a full block.
- Even though ferns do not produce seeds in real life, as ferns use spores instead, they can drop seeds if broken.
- Grass is slightly offset from the block it is sitting on (as seen in the third screenshot).
- Grass can appear in caves on dirt near lava, and rarely, within a few blocks of bedrock or in a village house.
- Using bonemeal on grass in a spawn-protected area will still produce tall grass and flowers.
- Ferns in real life usually grow multiple stems from one plant unlike the Minecraft fern where it is just one stem. It sort of resembles a small sapling.
- If you're standing in double tall grass you will be hidden from mobs. This also works with flowers, vines and sugar cane that are at least two blocks tall.
 Console Edition
- The dead shrub variant of tall grass is available in the creative menu.
- Grass is called "Grass Block".
Grass appears slightly offset from a grass block.
Grass and a fern in the Pocket Edition.
Grass growing in an Abandoned Mineshaft.
Grass next to lava.