Grass (commonly named Tall Grass or Long Grass) spawns on grass blocks in certain biomes. Grass is not a solid block, but rather an aesthetic plant that does not obstruct movement, similar to Sugar Cane, Dead Bushes and Wheat. It occurs naturally and in larger quantities than the previous plants. Bone Meal can be used on a grass block to grow grass and occasionally flowers on it and in its vicinity.
Grass has five variants.
Grass (the most common)
A triangular-looking fern
A dead bush-looking plant that does not occur naturally. (not to be confused with the Dead Bush appearing in desert biomes)
Double Tallgrass: A two block tall grass. Can be formed by using bonemeal on tall grass.
Double Fern: Similar in appearance in the fern, only two blocks tall. Drop two ferns if broken with shears.
- A recolored greenish version of the Shrub called 'Grass', used as a placeholder for the data values from 3 to 15.
Ferns occur naturally only in Jungle, Taiga, and Mega Taiga biomes. Unlike grass, they will not grow when a player uses bonemeal on a grass block. Ferns can be placed in flower pots.
The non-naturally occurring dead shrub-looking variant is not the same as the dead bush. The real dead bush will generate naturally in desert and mesa biomes, and will not produce any resources when broken. The grass variant is not naturally-occurring and even though it looks like a dead bush, it cannot be placed on sand, and will drop seeds like the other variants of grass.
Water will destroy any tall grass (as well as vines) in its way, so one can easily clear large areas covered in grass by using a bucket to place water, then pick it back up once all the tall grass in the vicinity has been destroyed. This can also be used for gathering seeds.
Harvesting grass is the primary way of obtaining seeds, the secondary way being to harvest fully grown wheat. Because wheat drops many more seeds, tall grass becomes significantly less useful as your wheat farm expands.
Grass survives in block lighting 8 or higher. Although it may seem to survive in 7 or lower, a block update next to the grass will cause it to break.
|1.6||Tall grass was implemented. Seeds used to be produced by tilling grass blocks prior to this update.|
|1.6.6||Bone Meal can be used to instantly grow Tall Grass on grass blocks.|
|1.8||Previously, tall grass couldn't be acquired as an item without inventory hacking. Hacked tall grass in your inventory would appear as the base texture for it, and would appear as the "dead shrub" variety when placed on the map. This was changed in Beta 1.8, and now Grass and Ferns can be harvested with Shears.|
|The triangular-looking fern was rare, and only found in Swampland and Rain Forest biomes before the 1.8 Adventure Update. After the Adventure Update, since Swamp biomes were redesigned and Rain Forest removed entirely, ferns no longer generated naturally.|
|1.0.0||Ferns were made available in Creative.|
|1.2.1||Ferns re-appeared in Jungle biomes.|
|1.2.1||12w05a||Previously, grass made building difficult because it had to be removed to place blocks in that space. Now, any blocks placed in the same space as grass will replace the grass, similar to snow.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Added double tallgrass and large ferns. Ferns now spawn in taiga and cold taiga biomes.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||Tall Grass, fern and dead bush added|
- If bonemeal is used on regular grass, it will grow into 2-block-high tall grass.
- Grass cannot be directly set on fire from lightning. However, fire from nearby blocks can spread to it. Oddly enough, the top of grass can be lit but it will not burn this way. When any kind of tall grass is set on fire, the fire seems to hover just over the grass, as if it were a complete block (it technically is a complete block).
- Even though ferns do not produce seeds in real life (ferns use spores instead), they can drop seeds if broken.
- The color of grass is biome dependent and is usually the same color as leaves.
- Grass is slightly offset from the block it is sitting on (as seen in the third screenshot).
- A "tall grass" mod existed long before the official release of tall grass, however, the tall grass generation code was not ported to the official game.
- Grass can appear in caves on dirt near lava, and rarely, within a few blocks of bedrock or in a village house.
- In SMP, using bonemeal on grass in a spawn-protected area will still produce tall grass and flowers (Although there is no way to remove them afterwards)
- Tall grass can be found on dirt blocks as well as grass blocks due to a bug in the terrain generation. This includes underground dirt, with no available sunlight.
- Ferns used to not be renewable. The only spawned once upon creating a new world, and cannot be grown using bonemeal, like tall grass can.
- On the Xbox 360 Edition, the dead shrub variant of tall grass is available in the creative menu.
- On the Xbox 360 Edition, Grass is called Grass Block (not to be confused with the Grass Block).
- If you give yourself grass with a damage value 3 and above, you will receive plant with the same texture of dead bush and named simply "Grass". The plant will be greenish-brown because its color is affected by the biome, in the inventory, it is simply green.
- Ferns in real life usually grow multiple stems from one plant unlike the minecraft fern where it is just one stem. It sort of resembles a small sapling.
Issues relating to "Grass", "Fern", "Double Tallgrass", or "Large Fern" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Grass growing in an Abandoned Mineshaft.
Grass appears slightly offset from a grass block.
Grass next to lava.
A fern next to lava.
Grass and a fern in the Pocket Edition.