Grass, Fern, Double variants: Yes
Grass, Fern or Shrub: tallgrass
When broken normally, all variants will drop either nothing or seeds. They can be obtained as an item using shears.
The double tallgrass and large ferns will drop two of the respective single block tall grass when mined using shears.
Water will destroy any tall grass in its way.
Ferns and large ferns occur naturally only in jungle, taiga, and mega taiga biomes.
Shrubs, though identical in appearance to the dead bushes found in deserts and mesas, do not naturally generate.
Bone meal can also be used on either tall grass or a fern to create a double tall grass or large fern.
A shrub looks identical to the dead bush, except that it will occasionally drop seeds, and is randomly offset from the center of its block like grass. It can be obtained using
/give @p minecraft:tallgrass 1 0 <dataTag>.
Grass requires a block light of 8 or higher to survive.
All variants of grass have a 1/24 chance of dropping seeds. In addition, using shears to harvest the block itself will have a 1/24 chance to drop seeds as well.
Ferns can be placed in flower pots.
Grass is defined by its ID and block data. Grass also has a block state which is expected to replace the functionality of block data in a future version.
|Name||ID Name||Block ID|
|8||Top Half of any Large Plant; low three bits 0x7 are derived from the block below.|
- See also: Block states
Tall grass was implemented. Seeds used to be produced by tilling grass blocks prior to this update.
|1.6.6||Bone Meal can be used to instantly grow Tall Grass on grass blocks.|
|1.8||Previously, tall grass couldn't be acquired as an item without inventory hacking. Hacked tall grass in your inventory would appear as the base texture for it, and would appear as the "shrub" variety or the dead bush when placed on the map. This was changed in Beta 1.8, and now Grass and Ferns can be harvested with Shears.|
|The triangular-looking fern was rare, and only found in Swampland and Rain Forest biomes before the 1.8 Adventure Update. After the Adventure Update, since Swamp biomes were redesigned and Rain Forest removed entirely, ferns no longer generated naturally.|
|1.0.0||Ferns were made available in Creative.|
|1.2.1||Ferns re-appeared in Jungle biomes.|
|1.2.1||12w05a||Previously, grass made building difficult because it had to be removed to place blocks in that space. Now, any blocks placed in the same space as grass will replace the grass, similar to snow.|
Tall grass with a damage value of 3 or higher is still called "grass", and still has green biome-coloring, but is now shaped like a shrub or dead bush.
Added double tallgrass and large ferns. Ferns now spawn in taiga and cold taiga biomes.
|1.8||Green colored shrubs (damage value 3 or higher) now look like normal shrubs.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
Tall grass and fern added.
Added double tall grass and large ferns.
|Tall grass and ferns now spawn naturally.|
|build 5||Tall grass is no longer flammable.|
Grass, tall grass and fern added.
|TU7||Added ferns to creative.|
|TU12||Previously, grass made building difficult because it had to be removed to place blocks in that space. Now, any blocks placed in the same space as grass will replace the grass, similar to snow.|
Issues relating to "Grass", "Fern", "Double Tallgrass", or "Large Fern" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Grass cannot be directly set on fire from lightning. However, fire from nearby blocks can spread to it. Oddly enough, the top of grass can be lit but it will not burn this way. When any kind of tall grass is set on fire, the fire seems to hover just over the grass, as if it were a full block.
- Even though ferns do not produce seeds in real life, as ferns use spores instead, they can drop seeds if broken.
- Grass is slightly offset from the block it is sitting on (as seen in the second screenshot).
- Grass can appear in caves on dirt near lava, and rarely, within a few blocks of bedrock or in a village house.
- Using bonemeal on grass in a spawn-protected area will still produce tall grass and flowers.
- Ferns in real life usually grow multiple stems from one plant unlike the Minecraft fern where it is just one stem. It sort of resembles a small sapling.
- If you're standing in double tall grass you will be hidden from mobs. This also works with flowers, vines and sugar cane that are at least two blocks tall.
- The dead shrub variant of tall grass is available in the creative menu.
- Grass is called "Grass Block".
Grass appears slightly offset from a grass block.
Grass and a fern in the Pocket Edition.
Grass growing in an Abandoned Mineshaft.
Grass next to lava.
Tall grass that was set on fire using flint and steel.