Found the secret update on the new snapshot! i think!
i found a new armour type on the armour folder, its a wither armour the wither may drop it when killed! im going to post more if i find more. -jpgar
I just saw a weird paper texture that i dint see before, or my eyes are tricking me.
- No, that is the "armor" that the Wither "wears" when it hits 50% HP. It's the same principle as a charged Creeper. Zoythrus 00:42, 25 August 2012 (UTC)
When will someone update Sethbling's filter to let us have WitherArmor? Spy227X 19:48, 25 August 2012 (UTC)
I just have a small question: how did we get the pics in the page?what program was used? I have MCedit and I tried that but it didn't work18.104.22.168 02:55, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
I recently read a tweet directed at dinnerbone that was something along the lines of, "surely, dinnerbone, you know where this new boss mob will spawn?" to which dinnerbone replied (again, paraphrasing), "new boss mob? I've nether heard of it!". I don't know if this can be cited as concrete evidence, but I'm fairly certain we'll see the wither feature as a nether boss in the next update. -Yoessieff P.S. the comment above mine isn't actually mine, whoever wrote it forgot to sign it with tildes so i figured i may as well do it for him so the comments are separate.22.214.171.124 02:55, 27 August 2012 (UTC)
I have a question. Can the Wither see through glass blocks?
No, same with Leaf blocks. Please sign your posts with four ~s. Spy227X 20:52, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
 Wither spawn ID.
To me it looks like an inverted skeleton skull. The head of this mob that is to not confuse anyone.Jimmyoakmeister 04:59, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
 Possible lighting bug may be a 'super power'
I think that the lighting bug is more like a 'super power' because the Wither is a boss afterall right? Comment back saying your thoughts about this! 126.96.36.199 22:28, 29 August 2012 (UTC)CEE72games
- I don´t think it´s a super-power, but I´m not thinking it´s a bug.
What? everything got restarted on this page, and mine and 70.2somethings are missing and everyone elses in the wrong order. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (Talk) 01:23, 30 August 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I removed several discussions because they were either speculation or they were off-topic. 「ディノ奴千？！」? · ☎ Dinoguy1000 04:35, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
- I understand why you did that, but why not move it to a different page instead of deleting it completely? is it easier? cuz i bet 5 bucks that you have gone off topic before and another five that you delete this message... and dont just troll me cuz your angry (chose not to sign, if its that bad of an issue not signing, then i will) –Preceding unsigned comment was added by BazzarLarry (Talk|Contribs) 17:35, 30 August 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I didn't move it to a different page because that type of discussion generally doesn't have a place anywhere on this wiki. The only place it might've been moved to would be a user talk page, and then you have to problem of whose talk page gets it, and how to make people aware that it's there, etc. So it's generally better to just remove such discussion and, if necessary, encourage people to post such discussion on the forums instead.
- I have, of course, gone off-topic before, and more times than I can count - after all, I've been on the internet for a decade now, having frequented a dozen-plus different forums and wikis in this time. But that's neither here nor there; if you happened to lie in the past and got away with it, that doesn't justify lying in the present, does it? ;)
- Don't worry about me trolling, and I'm not angry, even if that's what it might seem like from my comment above. ;) As for signing posts, it's considered good etiquette to do so, since it allows other users to immediately see when a comment was posted and by who, without having to look through a page's history. 「ディノ奴千？！」? · ☎ Dinoguy1000 18:37, 30 August 2012 (UTC)
i got BLOCKED for makeing a "greg" joke, so i guess im one who realy hates it when ops delete. No offence dinoguy, but we should start a suggestion and talking page. PLEASE dont block me PLEASE184.108.40.206 23:03, 18 September 2012 (UTC)*sigh*
- We have a suggestion/talking page, it's over there. 「ディノ奴千？！」? · ☎ Dinoguy1000 23:18, 18 September 2012 (UTC)
UGHH! u ARE a troll after all! XD well i hate the fourms. leys just call it even. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (Talk) 19:07, 19 September 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- You hate the forums? That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that suggestions and other off-topic crap still doesn't belong here, so no, "it" isn't even, you're still wrong.
--Kanegasi ☺C13:06, 3 October 2012 (UTC)
Hey! You person above me! NEVER EVER forget to sign your posts. And posting the suggestions on the forums later is better than never. Deal with it. User:Noobnathan Noobnathan 23:16, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
person 1: GET OFF MY CASE BUZZARD FACE! person 2:alright whatever you win il spend $1000000000.0 on the fourms listen to them blabber about mod API junk, and let greg kill me. happy now? i never abuse the power of... OP18.104.22.168 23:26, 4 October 2012 (UTC) 22.214.171.124 23:26, 4 October 2012 (UTC) 126.96.36.199 23:26, 4 October 2012 (UTC) 188.8.131.52 23:26, 4 October 2012 (UTC)ALRIGHT?
Ugh. i also hate the fourms, but 24, you dont need to blabber it in their faces!-Louise4589TheEpic 14:19, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
 Wither Skull
will the wither skull be like the skeletons arrows, or will it explode and/or be like a splash potion, since it has an effect. Pogoman122 16:25, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
- It's like a combination of the Ghast/Blaze fireball and splash potion. --M0rphzone(talk) (*How to remove sidebar*) 22:50, 3 September 2012 (UTC)
 Regeneration Rate
It appears to regenerate half a heart every second. But it looks like it does so in a sort of "heal heal skip" pattern. Can someone please look at the code and find out more precisely? Cultist O 21:10, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
 utility mob?
On the wither page, it says the wither is a utility mob. I have seen no evidence that it can "serve" the player. Can someone please either explan it to me or correct the page? 184.108.40.206 21:36, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
- Utility status of a mob does not refer to "serving" the player (which is why dogs and cats are not.) Rather it refers to being constructable by the player. You can however use the wither to defend against or kill other mobs, and even to dig tunnels or gather resources if you are clever. Cultist O 22:32, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
- I was able to trap one in a minecart while it was filling its HP bar. This caused it to stop filling the bar and remain invincible. After a while, it started to shoot at things just like a normal wither. If you're looking for a turret to keep players away in SMP, this might be a good bet, but with no ability to make it not target you, and only being able to spawn one at a time, it's not that great. Also, if the chunk unloads, it will fill the HP bar and become vulnerable to attack. If it hits the minecart by accident, it will break free. User:dorrax 18:31, 10 September 2012
Somebody should add the content of the previous post to the list of bugs. This is some pretty good stuff. 220.127.116.11 02:32, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
 "Wither" status effect regeneration?
This page claims two things:
- "[The withering status effect] also slowly heals the Withers health."
- "[The Wither] also regenerates over time, even if no Mob was afflicted by the 'withering'."
How exactly did we come to the conclusion that the "withering" status effect regenerates the Wither mob? It looks to me like these are two completely separate effects. 18.104.22.168 23:20, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
 Spawning in different dimensions.
I've noticed that the Wither page does not specify whether or not the Wither can spawn in all three dimensions. Does anyone know? 22.214.171.124 01:13, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
- It can Cultist O 16:10, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
if you can spawn a wither in the end will it fight the ender dragon or will they beat the hell out of you? a possibility could be that if they fight maybe they could drop ender dragon or wither spawn eggs.
- It will attack endermen if if it's not after you, since there are way more endermen. HotdogPi ⑬㊲ 20:30, 8 March 2013 (UTC)
withers can spawn in all dimension and if you spawn it in the end it will try to kill you but it will also be distracted by the enderdragon and all the endermen Enderman482026 08:43, 18 March 2013 (UTC) enderman482026 2:42 march 18 2013
 Blue Wither skulls
I have seen multiple times a Wither shooting a blue, slow-moving Wither skull instead of the usual black, fast-moving Wither skull in the new snapshot 12w37a. I have no idea what these do, through. Could someone confirm this and check out what they do ? Missingno 26 18:41, 13 September 2012 (UTC) EDIT : I think I figured out what they do and why they are shot : The Wither shoot these Blue slow-moving wither skull time to time (I suppose when it has nothing to shoot at) in random directions. These blue wither skulls create small-ranged but highly destructive explosions on impact. (The only thing these blue skulls cannot destroy is Bedrock) Missingno 26 19:06, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
 Spawn Explosion Statistics
Can anyone define the power of the explosion the wither creates when it becomes active? (I assume it doesn't cause fire.) Cultist O 22:49, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
 Skull Look
I believe that the Wither's heads look like it's saying, "Sup, dude. How about letting me kill you?" XD Mtemple12 18:26, 15 September 2012 (UTC)
- @wither: I'll kill you first. [User:hotdogPi/1|Steve]] 3:20, 8 March 2013 (EST)
 Request screenshot: Withering effect.
Can someone add some images showing the withering effect and the darkened health bar to the gallery?--126.96.36.199 15:11, 17 September 2012 (UTC)
 Block Eating
I know it "Eats" blocks when damaged, however unlike the Ender-Dragon, it also has the ability to eat Obsidian. I thought I would be smart and make an obsidian box to kill it in. No. It ate through the wall, and blew up my redstone testing chamber. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (Talk) 01:34, 18 September 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
 How I killed Mr Wither, quickly and without a lot of pain.
I did some testing, and "Mr Wither" HATES Endermen with a passion. In Hard mode; I spawned Mr W in The End in the center of a group of Endermen and ran back. When Mr W awoke he started to attacking Endermen and his skulls didn't destroy any Ender blocks as well. I started shooting him with arrows while he was busy with Endermen, soon Mr W fell to the ground and I ran in and spam attacked him, he quickly died. I then drank a victory milk and saw I'd only lost 3 hearts in this attack. (I had diamond equipment on w/ mid level enchantments)
Buzzaro 03:28, 18 September 2012 (UTC)
I retested my above method in v1.4.2 and things have changed some.
+ When Mr. W wakes up in The End, there is a large explosion that will take out a 4-5 radius circle, but its only a block or two deep. There is another explosion when you kill him. these explosions can take out blocks from the obsidian tower. That was the only time any end stone or obsidian were destroyed, so keep that in mind.
+ Mr. W still HATES Endermen but when you hit him with an arrow he will aggro on you (or the shooter) and make a bee line to you. I ran around a few towers to avoid him and he found an Endermen to chase again.
+ Bring milk and healing items, it's not a cake walk any longer, I didn't and ended with 2 hearts left while using the best equipment with enchantments. good luck all...
Buzzaro 04:22, 27 October 2012 (UTC)
 Some errors in Trivia
In the trivia section this article says that the wither skull explosion can destroy obsidian (with 6000 blast resistance) but not bedrock (here is the first error, is a common misconception that bedrock has a blast resistance of 18000000, in fact, if you see the code bedrock's hardness is -1 ). I have made some testing and only the blue skulls can destroy obsidian, I think that in fact this skulls have an special tipe of explosion, because if you made some testing, an explosion powerful enough to destroy obsidian will destroy every single block in an big radius. I think this has to be in the article. EDIT: Some test later I found that the effect of this explosion are the same (1 or 2 block radius) in dirt and in obsidian so I consider this evidence it are special explosions. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (Talk) 14:38, 23 September 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
“Blast resistance” is not the same as “hardness”. The hardness is for mining, not for explosions. I've seen other agreement that Wither blasts are special and don't care about blast resistance, btw. —kpreid 15:19, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
Also, isn't the wither 4 tall and 1x1 when an entity. When building, the trivia is true. But when spawned? Rhaenon 10:16, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
 Wither spawn in Adventure Mode
Since Adventure Mode does not allow placing blocks, players in Adventure Mode cannot spawn Wither (including Snow Golem, and Iron Golem.). I know, there are no reason for spawning Wither in Adventure Mode. But then, I can't even spawn one in Custom Adventure Map that I'm working on, because I can't spawn one with piston. I want to make players defeat Wither for one of challenges in map (with Nether Star being trophy) Wither would be satisfactory boss for custom map. Only method was Spawn Egg, but since 1.2 update does not allow spawning illegal entity through Spawn Egg... (I also wonders why, Monster Spawner can spawn those 'illegal entity' now, even Minecart. Why not Spawn Egg?) Kevin J Rattman 08:41, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
- You might be able to spawn one with a Command Block -- those are meant for just this sort of thing. --Mental Mouse 09:54, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
 I'm so very confused
It supposed to be a boss but you can have more than one wither. A boss has to be that there is only one of it, And why soul Sand Zigzagar 23:48, 30 September 2012 (UTC)
you can spawn one with a command block IF you have single player commands or you could use a mob spawner using too many items mod - enderman482026 2:51 march 18 2013 (UTC)
 Is it possible to spawn one of these badboys in Survival?
Since the Wither only spawns using Wither heads, and the Wither heads only drop from Withers, I am wondering how you can ever encounter a Wither in Survival mode, without cheats enabled.
220.127.116.11 13:31, 31 October 2012 (UTC)
- Actually, you are incorrect. By wither head you mean Wither Skeleton Head, which drop from Wither Skeletons that can be found in the nether, along with the soul sand required to make it. Wither skeletons only spawn in nether fortresses, and skeletons also spawn there. Trigger hurt 13:36, 31 October 2012 (UTC)
 Possible battle strategy or trivia
I made a cage of bedrock about 20x20x20 and set iron golems upon a wither and it took about half a dozen on average without any interference from me. Six times four iron blocks would be a few dozen iron blocks depending on the number it takes. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 14:39, 2 November 2012(UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Yeah, but that's creative mode, and the Wither can blast through almost anything but bedrock. --Mental Mouse 15:24, 2 November 2012 (UTC)
No, you completely missed the point of my post. About six iron golems can take down a wither. Creative mode has nothing to do with that; you can make iron golems, and you can make withers. The only creative mode element is that I made a bedrock cage which was only for testing purposes. So, in conclusion, iron golems can be used as weapons against withers.
- They do not. I tested this. I spawned about 50 zombies and a wither boss, and then flew away so that the chunk unloaded. As I was leaving, he may have killed 1 or 2 zombies, but he floated away and stopped attacking them. Then I returned a little bit later. Only 3 zombies were there (probably pack spawned, since it was night time) and the Wither Boss was right about where I last saw him. This seems like intended behavior, since he is a boss, you don't want him despawning and losing all that hard-earned work for getting those heads and the potential star! --Kahless61 19:00, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
 Wither Effect
I learned by testing that Wither Skeletons (through testing) can inflict the "Wither" effect on easy mode. I was wondering if Wither could do so as well?
22.214.171.124 20:48, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
After testing, i found that Wither does not inflict the effect in Easy mode. Maybe this to help newer players get a Beacon?
 Wither Facts Confusion
yea I'm confused combat with the wither It States "Another strategy is to obtain a diamond sword with Sharpness II and Fire Aspect I,"
Yet further in the article it states "Withers are unaffected by fire and lava, similar to Nether mobs"
So I hope this can be cleared up, I'm not sure if this is the proper place report this, but the two facts seem to counter each other.
 Withers do not break blocks to find a path to players or mobs
The fourth paragraph in the behavior category has incorrect information: For example, this could happen by having the Wither on one side of a wall, and the player on the other, so it would have to make a path through the wall to attack. The Wither will then instantly destroy a 3x3 hole in the wall to pass through it.
Withers will simply push themselves against blocks that are in their way when trying to attack a player or mob. It will not break them. They only break blocks when damaged.--Chumbanotz 22:09, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
 Confirming Easy Combat Strategy
In the Battle section there is more than one mention of digging down and spawning him in a confined space and it works so very well.
I attempted fighting him in a (wide open) desert biome and I got owned because he was on top of me the whole time and he was moving fast and shooting fast, often blasting me into a pit limiting my movement. After pretty much being nonstop griefed by him after that first attempt, I figured it was just better to reload a backup and try summoning him underground in a confined space. I ended up using an old diamond branch-mine area and ran to the end of one of the 1 wide x 2 high tunnels i had dug out. I opened up a 5 long x 5 wide x 4 high room at the end and summoned him in the middle of the room where I was able to kite him back through the tunnel. He made it 7 blocks before he was dead, because he was unable to get above me or below me so I just used my sword and it was over in less than 15 seconds.
Compared to the madness of running around in a wide open space, this felt very controlled making it much easier.
--NibKing 07:56, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
It seems strange that the Exp drop for the Wither is 50, which pales in comparison to the Ender Dragon's 12k... in this case, considering the fact that the attack strength does not falter for the Ender Dragon, shouldn't the ED technically be the toughest? Given it can be healed during combat, destroys non-End blocks and flies more radically than the Wither? Perhaps this is just a Mojang fault/quirk, but it seems like Withers would be more of a sub-boss, especially if Giants were ever to be released, or the Red Dragon that would occur in Strongholds...
3/7/13  but caring about stuff
- You're not anonymous. You're 126.96.36.199. Also, they both get healed during combat, and they are both mass griefers. HotdogPi ⑬㊲ 20:30, 8 March 2013 (UTC)
HotdogPi I edited so he has a signiture.
192.168.98.65 00:46, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
 DOESN'T WORK!
I built how it is supposed to be like but it won't work!!!
Tell me why it won't work!
192.168.98.65 00:46, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
- Possible reasons:
- 1. You didn't place one of the heads last.
- 2. They're the wrong kind of heads. They need to be wither skeleton heads.
- 3. You might not have what it's "supposed" to be what it's really supposed to be. You need 4 soul sand and 3 wither skeleton heads in the correct shape.
- 4. Your difficulty is set to Peaceful. -- Orthotope 01:23, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
you didn't put it in a crafting table did you? your not supposed to craft it your supposed to build it like a structure --enderman482026 2:59 march 18 2013 (UTC)
I did build it right maybe it's a glitch
same here I can't build it ether. :( 188.8.131.52 02:34, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
--192.168.98.65 06:40, 20 March 2013 (UTC)
 A Tip For Fighting It
I just tried this, and it worked very well. After you beat the Ender Dragon, fight the wither in the end. It will attack the endermen, so when it gets its shield on, the endermen will attack it, and it will attack the endermen instead of you.
It does work, but I try to spawn it when the Ender Dragon is still there. This way, they will both fight each other, and you will get a little free labour out of it. PrinceCooshie101 14:04, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
 Unconfirmed Nether Boss??
The Ender Dragon is officially the End Boss, right? So, if the Wither drops a NETHER Star, and Wither Skeleton spawn in the NETHER, and it is immune to Fire and Lava like all NETHER mobs, could the Wither really be a Nether Boss??
If you think about it, it does make sense, and maybe Mojang are lightly trolling us by telling us it is just a regular boss.
Anyone agree with me here? PrinceCooshie101 14:03, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
Makes total sense to me. --Nick62703 20:36, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
 Iron Golem strategy editing needed
In the combat section, the following sentence appears: "If you create the Wither in a small and completely enclosed underground area that isn't too large (three blocks tall), three Iron Golems are sufficient to kill one without aiding them but iron golems can hit and hurt the Wither if you have a ceiling above you will need two golems to kill it."
It's a badly malformed sentence, so it's a bit difficult to follow, so I'll break it apart clause by clause: 1 - if you create the wither in a small enclosed underground area 2 - then 3 iron golems can kill the wither without help 3 - but the iron golems can hit and hurt the wither with a ceiling in place 4 - you will need two golems to kill it.
The last 2 clauses don't really fit in with the sentence. I'd make the necessary corrections, but I don't know how many golems it takes to kill a wither. 2 or 3? 184.108.40.206 06:34, 18 July 2013 (UTC)
Do all 3 skulls have to be Wither or can it spawn with one or two heads being skeleton? --Radical Edward2 21:12, 26 July 2013 (UTC)
I realized that the wither dosen.t hurt the undead mobs like a zombie skeleton or hurts it neither friends if there is a reason why a wither dosen.t hurt undead mobs dose that mean its a undead neither boss?