As I just tested, not only the Hooks cause a blockupdate on triggering and defusing, but also the wire itself. Could be quite handy when designing 'undefusable traps' or 'trap traps' only triggering when beeing defused. Somebody may add this to the main page, as I'm unfamiliar with the wikicode :P Fred1975 13:55, 31 May 2012 (UTC)
I know this is a irrelevant comment but it is an important one! The formula for the tripwire hooks does not work on my computer! Has it changed since 1.7? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Mikeisarmstrong (Talk|Contribs) 23:58, 16 July 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- As the article states, tripwires were added in snapshot 12w22a; it does not exist and so cannot be crafted in any previous version. -- Orthotope 04:18, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
Tripwires are currently the best detectors for full/empty Minecarts. If the wire is placed just above the rails, it will only trigger when a Player or Mob is in it. That can either be used to send empty carts back, or for Mobs-transportation-systems: A Minecart running thorugh the mob-area all the time, and if a mob enters, its send to a different (maybe killing) Area.
Casurin 18:20, 31 May 2012 (UTC)
While playing snapshot 14w06b, I noticed that Minecarts now will activate tripwire that is one block above the tracks. This makes empty minecart detection more difficult. Confirmed by bug report https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-47695 126.96.36.199 10:25, 13 February 2014 (UTC)
How does it react to explosions and being pushed by pistons?
I would assume that it would send a pulse, but it would be good to know. Also what happens when the hook is destroyed vs the string? Cultist O 12:14, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- When the hook is destroyed, no pulse is sent unlike the wire itself. When a piston destroys the wire, a signal is sent, yet not with the hook. ISQ Talk 17:50, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- when the TNT destroys any one of the hook, both will not sent any pulse. But if the wire were to be destroyed by explosion, a pulse will be sent. The duration of the pulse depends on how it is connected. When the hook is connected to a repeater, a one-tick pulse will be observed. However, a dust will react very differently.
Merge tripwire with string or tripwire hook?
I think either of these make sense. I think that the best way would be to:
- Have tripwire page merged with string, and have the bulk of the trip wire stuff be on both its page and the hook page.
- Leave the tripwire page, and have the info on both its and the hook page, with a short entry about this use for string on the string page.
Cultist O 12:25, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- It should merged with the string page as there shouldn't really be much to say about the tripwire itself, it's basically just:
- Connects Tripwire Hooks up to 18 blocks
- Can be placed in mid-air, but will not connect with blocks on the ground and visa versa
- Stepping through/on it or breaking it without shears will trigger connected hooks
- Bugs, history, etc.
- The string page is almost a stub anyway, adding the tripwire info should pad it out to a more reasonable sized page. –ultradude25 (T|C) at 14:17, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- I wrote the article, but, I actually agree. We could simply just copy-paste the majority of the content into the String page. My only concern is that this was previously merged, and the page looked somewhat odd with both the Blocks and Items template on it. I guess we would not really need the Blocks template though. If it's alright, I can just merge it now and make a redirect. ISQ Talk 17:43, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
Why is there random Spanish all over the page? Plet53 18:26, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- The culprit is 188.8.131.52. Ban him, or at least warn him (or tell him to go to the spanish version). Jaredjeya 18:39, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- Edit: there is also 184.108.40.206. After checking on G. Translate, the stuff they are posting is grafitti, not relevant to the page. Ban them both! Jaredjeya 18:39, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
- Done :) Funky3000 13:03, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
Just tested on 1.3 pre-release, and it looks like you cannot have a mix of transparent and solid blocks under a tripwire (nor the tripwire hooks), or the tripwire hooks will not connect. You can have all solid or all transparent (including mixture of air, glass, ice, etc), but cannot combine the two. Anyone else confirm? If so, this should likely go in the article. Ibid49 19:01, 27 July 2012 (UTC)
I do not believe this has been placed on the main page yet (and if it has, my apologies for the oversight). Tripwire hooks (no string) placed on or near dispensers emit random redstone signals. I learnt of this from Etho's SMP 72: pyrotechnics episode. A video dating back to Sept 8, 2012 by ZestyLemons101 on youtube, with the title: Minecraft (1.3.2) - Tripwire Hooks Update Randomly (Bug) also displays this. I have confirmed that this behaviour still exists in the latest 13w01b snapshot. I surrounded a powered arrow dispenser with hooks, and at random intervals, the dispenser would fire. Perhaps someone could conduct more in-depth testing and get clarification from the devs as to whether this is a bug or intended behaviour. Eveninglion 21:25, 6 January 2013 (UTC)
Tripwire Across a Gap
Whiles playing in 1.7.9 and 1.7.10 I noticed that string on an air block does not connect to other string on a block or tripwire hook which is right next to it. Is this bug? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 9:33, 10 July 2014 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~