dec: 438 hex: 1B6 bin: 110110110
Splash Potions are a variant of potions that can be thrown.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Brewing[edit | edit source]
Splash potions are brewed by adding gunpowder to a normal potion.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Brewing[edit | edit source]
Dragon's Breath +
Lingering potions are brewed by adding dragon's breath to a splash potion.
Using[edit | edit source]
Splash potions are thrown by using them. On impact they explode, applying status effects to nearby entities. The bottle is lost, unlike drinkable potions. Entities within an 8.25×8.25×4.25 cubiod centered on the thrown potion at impact and within 4 blocks euclidean distance of the thrown potion[n 1] at impact are affected.
The farther away the entity is from the center of the explosion, the lesser the imbued effect. For effects without duration such as Healing or Harming, the potency of the effect reduces linearly from 100% on a direct hit to 0% at 4 blocks' distance. For effects with duration, the effect has full potency but the duration decreases linearly on the same scale (rounded to the nearest 1⁄20 second), with no effect being applied if the duration would be 1 second or less.
Splash water bottles[edit | edit source]
Added in 1.9,[upcoming] splash water bottles have no effect on entities, but will put out fire in the block hit and the four blocks horizontally surrounding it.
Data values[edit | edit source]
- See also: The NBT tags for the thrown potion
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre4||Added splash potions.|
|1.3.1||12w17a||Splash potions are no longer depleted from your inventory when used in creative.|
|12w22a||Splash potions were added to the new creative item selection from 12w21b.|
|1.4.2||12w32a||Added splash potions of night vision, not yet brewable.|
|12w34a||Added splash potions of invisibility.|
|Splash potions of night vision are now brewable.|
|12w38a||Witches now utilize splash potions for attacking.|
|12w39b||Custom potions can be created with a world editor.|
|1.8||14w27a||Added splash potions of leaping.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||Splash potions of leaping can be extended.|
|1.9||15w31a||Added Mundane, Thick and, Awkward potions to the creative inventory, and added splash water bottle, and Mundane, Thick, and Awkward splash potions.|
|15w33a||Splash potions are used to brew lingering potions|
|15w33c||Splash potions can now be placed in brewing stands.|
|15w34a||Splash water bottles now just extinguish fire, without placing flowing water.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added splash potions.|
|TU7||Added splash potions.|
|TU14||Added splash potions of night vision and splash potions of invisibility.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to "Splash Potion" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Jeb has commented that while splash water bottles should logically harm endermen and blazes, its coding would be more difficult to implement than is worth while.
- If endermen are targeted directly by a splash potion, they will teleport away before the potion can take effect. However, if they are caught in the splash radius of a potion not aimed at them, they will be affected.
- If killed by a splash potion of harming, the death message would be: <player> was killed by magic
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Specifically its lower-north-west corner; the potion entity like most thrown entities is 0.25×0.25×0.25 blocks.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Minecraft Forum: All About Potions And Brewing - 1.9 Reference Guide
- Minecraft Potions - A Visual Guide