dec: 332 hex: 14C bin: 000101001100
A snowball is the item obtained when a snow block or snow cover is destroyed with a shovel, giving 4 or 1 snowballs respectively. They can also be obtained when a snow block is destroyed by a creeper explosion or TNT. Lastly, they can be obtained by killing a Snow Golem. They are throwable items that do not do any damage to mobs except the Blaze (which they deal 3 () to) and Ender dragons (which they deal 1 () to). Snowballs are able to knock back mobs and gives the same effect as if the mob were being damaged (they still appear to damage wolves; they briefly flash red; however, this is a bug). This makes snowballs useful for herding and for knocking monsters off high areas. Snowballs cannot be placed and can only be thrown by right clicking. Similar to arrows, they are affected by gravity.
They will also catch on fire when they pass through lava. Snowballs have a much more limited range than arrows. Like arrows, Eggs, spawn eggs, fire charges, and splash potions, snowballs can be fired from dispensers.
Four snowballs can be crafted to create a snow block. Correctly placing two snow blocks and a pumpkin or Jack o'Lantern produces a Snow Golem. This is a utility mob which has the ability to attack hostile mobs with snowballs.
Snow Golems are an infinite source of snow, and hence snowballs. Provided they are in a cold biome, Snow Golems leave a trail of snow behind them. By trapping a Snow Golem in a confined space (often done by building a wall around it or by pushing the golem into a 1×1×2 hole) and breaking the snow trail, the snow will immediately refresh, giving a quick way to obtain an unlimited number of snowballs.
 As a crafting ingredient
|Ingredients||Input » Output|
|1.0.5_01||Snowballs now stack to eight.|
|New snowball sound effect.|
|1.0.6||Snowballs now stack up to 16.|
|Thrown snowballs no longer disappear.|
|1.1.1||No longer possible to obtain more than four snowballs from a solid snow block (was previously able to obtain 4-6 snowballs per snow block allowing an infinite number of snowballs to be made.)|
- Snowballs do not cause the knockback effect when hitting other players.
- Throwing a snowball at someone wearing armor will cause the armor to take damage but not the player.
- When you throw a snowball through lava, the snowball will unrealistically catch fire.
- The fireball that Ghasts previously shot were actually flaming snowballs. This, however, was changed in Beta 1.9pre1, and subsequently upon full release.
- In Minecraft Pocket Edition when a snowball is thrown to any mobs (doesn't matter if they are hostile or passive), it will look like they were damaged even though they are not.
- Acquiring snowballs is the only task in the game that cannot be done without a shovel.
- Snowballs are a useful weapon to combat blazes; they are fire, and snowballs are the total opposite.