dec: 80 hex: 50 bin: 1010000
A snow block is a full-sized block of snow.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Unlike snow layers, snow blocks will not melt from higher levels of light under normal circumstances, nor get destroyed by water.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Usage[edit | edit source]
Snow Golems[edit | edit source]
Snow is also used to make snow golems by putting 2 snow blocks on top of another and a pumpkin on the top as the head. Note that the pumpkin has to be placed last for this to work. This can be done sideways and upside-down, as well.
Crafting ingredient[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.0.5||Added snow blocks.|
|1.0.5_01||Shovel now required to obtain snowballs.|
|Snow blocks on top of top snow cover no longer looks unusual.|
|1.0.6||Snow blocks now only take 4 snowballs to craft instead of 9.|
|Destroying snow blocks now yielded 4-6 snowballs, allowing for infinite amounts of snow blocks and snowballs as snow blocks only take 4 snowballs to make.|
|1.1.1||Infinite snowball glitch fixed; solid snow blocks now only drop four snowballs.|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Snow was given a new block breaking sound.|
|1.5||13w05a||Crafting recipe for snow cover added.|
|1.9||15w43a||Snow blocks generate as part of igloos.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.1.0||Added snow blocks.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Snow blocks generate naturally in ice plains spikes biomes.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Snow is now renewable, and can be used to create golems.|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added snow blocks.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Snow” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Snow may still fall on top of snow blocks, making them look taller than they actually are.
- When a snow block is on grass, the grass block changes to a different "snowy" texture as if a snow layer is on it.
- However, since snow is not transparent to light, the grass will change to dirt shortly after.
- There is code to make snow blocks melt, but since they are solid blocks they cannot be lit enough for this to occur (barring certain lighting glitches) (see MC-88097 for more information)
- A texture known as "fluff.png" exists in files from the survival tests onward, that resembles snow. However, this was before snow was added, so this texture went unused.