1–8 Snowball (one per level)
dec: 78 hex: 4E bin: 01001110
Snow is a cover block that is found near Ice Plains and Taiga biomes. Snow can be removed like any other block. Placing a light source will cause snow around it to melt and will prevent them from regenerating during snowfall. Snow melts in the same pattern as ice.
If the snow is on a grass block, the grass will turn white. This does not affect grass growth. Snow will not damage tilled and hydrated field areas, nor will it protect those plowed fields from being trampled on. Gravity-affected blocks like sand and gravel will not fall if the block below them has snow on it.
If snow forms on top of a cactus, the cactus will still cause damage when stepped on or touched. Cacti cannot grow if there is snow on top of it.
Snow melts near light sources (except sunlight), up to 3 blocks from lava and glowstone, 2 blocks from torches, and it won't regrow 2 additional blocks away.
Snow can be collected in large quantities through snow farming.
Snow can be stacked to a full block beside a cactus without destroying it.
|1.0.4||Snowfall added to maps only in winter mode. When creating a new save, a map had a 1/4 chance of having worldwide snowfall. When falling on exposed land, a thin Snow sheet cover was created.|
|In this version there was a bug where placing a block on snow cover would result in the snow floating in the air.|
|A player could easily harvest snow by placing a block of water. By doing so, the player received a large amount of Snowballs with little effort.|
|1.0.5||The bug in Alpha 1.0.4 was fixed.|
|1.2||Due to a missing feature in the Halloween Update, snow did not regenerate.|
|1.5||Snow regeneration returned as part of the new weather features.|
|Snow can occur in arctic Biomes.|
|1.8||Snow biomes were temporarily removed as Notch was trying to improve them.|
|1.0.0||Snow biomes were re-added.|
|1.1||Snow occurs in tundra biomes, as well as arctic biomes.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Previously, snow grass and snow flat layer was not available to be manually placed in Creative mode. In 12w21a snow was made available in the Creative Inventory.|
|1.5||13w05a||Snow can be crafted and is obtainable in survival mode. It is possible to stack snow to create layers thicker than 1.|
Issues relating to "Snow (cover)" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- The "topSnow" block's thickness is based on its data value.
- As of Beta 1.9pre5, the top of Grass' and Snowy Grass' textures were slightly changed.
- A Snow Golem can be used to generate an unlimited amount of snow without the need to explore more land or wait for snowfall.
- The snow and wool sounds are actually slightly different.
- Attempting to place torches on snow will replace the snow with a torch.
- Snow on a block of soulsand makes the soulsand act like a normal block
- Snow layers 2-7 prevent hostile mobs from spawning
- Lighting fire to a block of snow created by stacking snow covers will create the same effect as would lighting a hopper, the fire will be invisible
- TNT cannon designs that involve slabs can be aimed much more accurately using different layers of snow cover rather than a slab.
- It's possible to create a one-way gate by placing double layer of snow under the doorway and in front of it.
- Floating snow is usually caused by lakes or lava lakes removing the block below the snow when creating a open spot above the lake. In previous versions when you could fall through floating snow the lava lake/floating snow combo could be a vicious accidental deathtrap (though rare). The lava lake will eventually melt the floating snow, but not until a minute or two after it's first spawned upon the player entering a new area.
Various thicknesses of snow. Created using an inventory editor pre-12w21a. From the 4th one on, the block looks like a slab.