dec: 78 hex: 4E bin: 1001110
Snow is a cover block that is commonly caused by snowfall.
Snow will melt if there is a light level of 12 or more. It will not melt from sunlight.
 Natural generation
In snowy biomes or in cold biomes at varying layers, it will randomly snow instead of rain. While it is snowing, snow will generate on random non-transparent blocks with a block light level of 10 or less.
 Snow Golems
- See also: Snow farming
If the snow is on a grass block, the grass will turn white. Snow will not damage tilled and hydrated field areas, nor will it protect those plowed fields from being trampled on. Gravity-affected blocks like sand and gravel will not fall if snow below them has snow on it, and will break if they fall onto snow.
When broken with a shovel, snow drops snowballs.
 Data values
|0||One layer, 2 pixels thick|
|1||Two layers, 4 pixels thick|
|2||Three layers, 6 pixels thick|
|3||Four layers, 8 pixels thick|
|4||Five layers, 10 pixels thick|
|5||Six layers, 12 pixels thick|
|6||Seven layers, 14 pixels thick|
|7||Eight layers, 16 pixels thick|
|1.0.4||Snowfall added to maps only in winter mode. When creating a new save, a map had a 1/4 chance of having worldwide snowfall. When falling on exposed land, a thin snow layer was created.|
|In this version there was a bug where placing a block on a snow layer would result in the snow floating in the air.|
|A player could easily harvest snow by placing a block of water. By doing so, the player received a large amount of Snowballs with little effort.|
|1.0.5||The bug in Alpha 1.0.4 was fixed.|
|1.2||Due to a missing feature in the Halloween Update, snow did not regenerate.|
|1.5||Snow regeneration returned as part of the new weather features.|
|Snow can occur in arctic Biomes.|
|1.8||Snow biomes were temporarily removed as Notch was trying to improve them.|
|1.0.0||Snow biomes were re-added.|
|1.1||Snow occurs in tundra biomes, as well as arctic biomes.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Previously, snow grass and snow flat layer was not available to be manually placed in Creative mode. In 12w21a snow was made available in the Creative Inventory.|
|1.5||13w05a||Snow can be crafted and is obtainable in survival mode. It is possible to stack snow to create layers thicker than 1.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.3.0||Added snow to the world generation.|
|0.8.0||Added snow to the creative mode inventory.|
Issues relating to "Snow (layer)" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Snow can be stacked to a full block beside a cactus without destroying the cactus.
- The "topSnow" block's thickness is based on its data value.
- As of Beta 1.9pre5, the top of Grass' and Snowy Grass' textures were slightly changed.
- A Snow Golem can be used to generate an unlimited amount of snow without the need to explore more land or wait for snowfall.
- The snow and wool sounds are actually slightly different.
- Attempting to place torches on snow will replace the snow with a torch.
- Snow on a block of soulsand makes the soulsand act like a normal block
- Snow layers 2-7 prevent hostile mobs from spawning
- Lighting fire to a block of snow created by stacking snow covers will create the same effect as would lighting a hopper, the fire will be invisible
- TNT cannon designs that involve slabs can be aimed much more accurately using different layers of snow cover rather than a slab.
- It's possible to create a one-way gate by placing double layer of snow under the doorway and in front of it.
- Floating snow is usually caused by lakes or lava lakes removing the block below the snow when creating an open spot above the lake. In previous versions when you could fall through floating snow the lava lake/floating snow combo could be a vicious accidental deathtrap (though rare). The lava lake will eventually melt the floating snow, but not until a minute or two after it's first spawned upon the player entering a new area.
- Snow cover blocks made of eight layers do not behave like real snow blocks even though they look the same (They have different block codes / data values). For example:
- Snow Golems cannot be created using snow cover blocks.
- Torches and lava will eventually melt a snow cover block but not a real snow block.
- Lava will slope towards an adjacent snow cover block before the snow is destroyed.
- A stack of snow cover layers more than 8 high (i.e. one or more blocks and any number of layers on top) will vanish instantly if the bottom block of 8 is removed. This can be caused by the player or through being destroyed by a heat source. No more than 8 snowballs are obtained when a spade is used.
Various thicknesses of snow. Created using an inventory editor pre-12w21a. From the 4th one on, the block looks like a slab.