Seeds are an item used in wheat farming. They can be found by destroying grass, or by harvesting fully-grown wheat. Harvesting wheat yields from 0 to 3 seeds per tile harvested (about 1.5 seeds/tile harvested in average). Seeds can be placed in farmland by right-clicking, where they will grow.
 Growth & growing conditions
When left alone, wheat seeds planted in farmland will grow to become wheat which can be harvested. Planted seeds need at least light level 9 in the block above them to grow.
Crops will grow faster if the farmland they are planted in is hydrated. While it's not required for crops to be hydrated, it is recommended. 2-5 Bone Meal can be used on the planted seeds to increase the wheat's stage to fully grown.
The image below shows the stages of growth from newly planted seeds to wheat that is ready for harvesting.
Farmland may be trampled (revert to a dirt block) if the player or any mob jumps onto it. If trampled, the crops have the same drop rates they would normally have. (They drop both wheat and seeds if the crop was fully grown, otherwise only seeds may drop).
When fully grown, wheat crops will drop 1 Wheat as well as 0-3 seeds. If they are harvested early, they will drop seeds but no wheat. The more developed the crops are, the more seeds they are likely to drop. Crops in the first few stages of growth will only give you one seed.
Seeds (and Nether Warts) are used to breed chickens. When two chickens are each fed seeds, and if they both look at each other, they will enter "love mode". After entering love mode, the two chickens will kiss for about two and a half seconds, and a smaller chicken will appear. After the baby is spawned, it will follow the adult until it is in its adult form (hitting the baby will stop them from following the adult).
|1.6||Wheat Seeds cannot be tilled from a Grass block. They can be found by destroying Tall Grass, or by harvesting fully-grown Wheat.|
|1.8||Wheat Seeds were named seeds because Wheat Seeds were the only kind of seeds at the time, before Melon Seeds and Pumpkin Seeds.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Chickens now use wheat seeds instead of wheat to breed.|
- Despite the introduction of other types of seed, wheat seeds are still only called "Seeds" in the game.
- When seeds are insufficiently lit (if they have a light level below 9), the seeds will uproot. This does not happen if the seed can receive direct moonlight at night.
- A quick way to gather wheat seeds is to pour a bucket of water in flat areas of grass.
- Another quick way to get wheat seeds is by placing bone meal on grass, this will give you long grass, which can be broken; this will also give you flowers.
- Wheat seeds will grow wheat even though they are collected from grass.
- In Minecraft Pocket Edition, seeds can be obtained by using a hoe to hoe grass blocks.
- Trampling over wheat while riding a horse will not revert tilled land into dirt.