dec: 06 hex: 6 bin: 0110
A sapling is an item obtained from leaves that can be grown into trees. There are 6 types of saplings: oak, birch, spruce, jungle, acacia, and dark oak - one for each type of tree. Saplings have a 1/20 chance of dropping when leaves are destroyed, except jungle saplings, which have a 1/40 chance of dropping.
Saplings can grow into trees on any dirt, podzol or grass block, and in any altitude, granted that the saplings are exposed to a light level of at least 9, and have a certain amount of space above them, depending on the sapling type:
- Oak saplings need at least 6 spaces above
- Birch saplings need at least 6 spaces above
- Spruce saplings need at least 7 spaces above
- Jungle saplings need at least 13 spaces above
- Acacia saplings need at least 7 spaces above
- Dark oak saplings need at least 10 spaces above
However, they will grow slower if they have fewer than 10 blocks above the dirt.Verify To instantly grow a tree, bone meal can be used on the sapling. It takes 2-4 uses of bone meal to grow a tree. If there is not enough space required, the sapling will not grow.
Certain trees can only be grown with bone meal and more than one sapling. Dark oak saplings will not grow unless bone meal is used on four saplings placed in a 2x2 square. Spruce saplings and jungle saplings, if placed in a 2x2 square and grown using bone meal, will grow into a large variant of the respective tree.
|rd-161348||Saplings were added to the game.|
|0.0.13a||The texture was changed back to the original.|
|1.5||Added Birch and Spruce saplings. Before, trees only dropped oak saplings, regardless of the tree.|
|Saplings can be used as fuel in furnaces.|
|When the game was updated, all planted saplings were randomly turned into a birch or spruce sapling.|
|1.2.1||12w04a||Changed texture of oak saplings.|
|Added Jungle saplings.|
|1.3.1||12w17a||Saplings now have names based on their type of tree.|
|1.7.1||13w43a||Added Acacia and Dark Oak saplings.|
- If the player stands on the same block as a placed sapling, the tree will still grow over the player, which will cause suffocation.
- Saplings will not grow on farmland.
- Saplings can grow without the required amount of light if bone meal is used.
- Repeatedly planting dark oak saplings in the same spot on the bedrock layer would eventually create a hole into the void. The thick trunk of dark oak trees grows over, or "breaks" the bedrock.