Stone Pressure Plate
Wooden Pressure Plate
Any Wood Planks
 Natural generation
A pressure plate can be used to craft detector rails, to smelt items, or can be used as a redstone component.
Pressure plates are 0.0625 blocks high (1⁄16 of a block) when inactive and 0.03125 block high (1⁄32 of a block) when active, but they do not elevate entities on top of them.
 As a crafting ingredient
Stone pressure plates can be used to craft detector rails.
 As a fuel
A wooden pressure plate can be used as fuel in a furnace. Each wooden pressure plate lasts 15 seconds, or 1.5 operations.
 As a redstone component
- See also: Redstone circuit
A pressure plate can be used to detect entities on top of it (players, mobs, items, etc.).
- To place a pressure plate, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default) while aiming at the face of a block adjacent to the destination space.
- A pressure plate can be attached to the top of any opaque block, or to the top of a fence, nether brick fence, an upside-down slab, or upside-down stairs.
- A pressure plate activates when an entity is on top of it (specifically, when the entity's collision mask intersects the bottom quarter-block of the pressure plate's space, which may include players, bats, or blazes flying close to the ground) and deactivates 5 redstone ticks (0.5 seconds, barring lag) after no entities are on top of it, with a minimum activation time of 10 redstone ticks (1.0 seconds, barring lag).
- A stone pressure plate is activated only by mobs (including players), while a wooden pressure plate is activated by all entities (including players, mobs, items, arrows, experience orbs, fishing bobs, etc.).
- A minecart traveling on rails will activate a pressure plate next to a diagonal track but not one next to a straight track (stone pressure plates are activated only if the minecart contains a mob or player).
- While active, a pressure plate:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust to power level 15
- powers any adjacent redstone comparators or redstone repeaters facing away from the pressure plate to power level 15
- strongly powers any full solid opaque block beneath it to power level 15
- activates any adjacent mechanism components, including above or below, such as pistons, redstone lamps, etc.
- A pressure plate is not solid (it is not a barrier to entity movement). A block under a pressure plate can provide a solid barrier underneath it (for mobs to walk across, items to fall on, etc.), but when a pressure plate is placed on a block with a small collision mask, such as a fence or nether brick fence, it is possible for entities to move through the pressure plate while still activating it (walking through it horizontally, or falling through it vertically). Thus, a pressure plate on a fence can be used to detect entities without stopping them (more compactly than a tripwire circuit).
- To remove a pressure plate, use the "Attack/Destroy" control (left-click, by default). Removing a stone pressure plate takes 2.5 seconds (or faster with a pickaxe) and removing a wooden pressure plate takes 0.75 seconds (or faster with an axe). The pressure plate will drop itself as an item.
- A pressure plate will also be removed and drop itself as an item:
- if its attachment block is moved, removed, or destroyed
- if a piston tries to push it or moves a block into its space
 Data values
A pressure plate's data value stores whether is it active:
|0x1||If this bit is set, the pressure plate is active.|
|Seecret Friday 3||Added pressure plates.|
|1.3||Pressure plates only require two Wood Planks/stone to craft; previous versions required three (this recipe now creates wooden or stone slabs).|
|1.6||Wooden plates no longer require a pickaxe to be successfully extracted; before they used to. Both types of plates can also be recovered by destroying the block they are on.|
|Pressure plates may no longer be placed on leaf blocks. Pressure plates placed on leaf blocks prior to this update will drop when stepped on and may be recollected.|
|1.8||Pressure plates are placeable on fences, though they are not functional as pressure plates in this configuration.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre2||Pressure plates now function when placed on top of fences.|
|1.3.1||12w23a||Wooden pressure plates can be activated by arrows.|
|TU1||Added pressure plates.|
|TU5||Pressure plates are placeable on fences.|
|TU14||Wooden pressure plates can be activated by arrows.|
Issues relating to "Pressure Plate" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.