A Pressure Plate is a type of switch that can be placed onto a surface of a block. If connected by wire to an object (or placed adjacent to a block that can be powered), they will provide power to that object or block when stepped on by either a player or a mob (as well as other items; see below), and will stop when stepped off. Pressure plates are one of the seven types of switches currently in the game.
The Weighted Pressure Plate, a variant of the standard pressure plate, outputs a redstone signal dependent on the amount of mobs and/or items on it.
Pressure plates are 1⁄16 of a block in height, the same as carpet.
Stone Pressure Plate
Wooden Pressure Plate
Any Wood Planks
 Natural Occurrence
Pressure Plates can be used to make sure that you do not forget to close the door to your home. Just place a pressure plate right inside of the door.
Pressure plates may be triggered in the following ways:
- A player or mob standing on a plate.
- An experience orb lands on it.
- A player flying in close proximity on top of a plate.
- A dropped item (the kind you can pick up by walking onto) on a wooden plate (stone plates are not affected). Sand or gravel falling onto a pressure plate will convert into a dropped block, but it will not necessarily land on the pressure plate unless there are walls around it.
- Any type of minecart will trigger a wooden plate.
- A minecart with a mob or player riding it will trigger a stone plate (however, storage minecarts and powered minecarts do not trigger stone plates).
- Pressure plates do not act as rails, so the cart will stop on the plate unless it has very high momentum.
- A minecart on a curved track triggers a pressure plate adjacent to the track (think about the cart's corners sticking out) if there are two or more successive curves. (Two curves are needed to get the cart on a diagonal path and thus the edge sticking out over the track. If a single curve is laid down the cart just changes by a 90 degree angle.)
- Fishing rods
- A fishing rod can activate a wooden pressure plate (seen in this video)
- Arrows (wood pressure plates only, currently only on PC):
- A plate enabled with this method remains turned on until the arrow is recollected or despawns (an arrow takes one minute to disappear).
When a stone pressure plate is triggered, its signal lasts at least 1 second, just like a stone button.
Pressure Plates are often used in traps. For example, you can wire a pressure plate to TNT, to make it explode and damage the victim and the surrounding area (can be prevented with water, which only damages the victim, not blocks). An example of a naturally occurring TNT trap occurs in desert temples (as of 12w21a). Another trap is to create a plus in the ground with pistons. Put a pressure plate in the middle of the plus on a block of dirt and put a block above the middle [stack 3 blocks and take off 2 starting from bottom]. Keep it up during the night and lure any mob [accepting the facts that endermen are 3 blocks tall] into it, trapping the mob with an open 1×1 space to hit the mob.
A large quantity of pressure plates can be used to make a "nightingale floor", which noisily warns of the approach of mobs such as creepers. However, this comes at the cost of annoying noise whenever you use the area, and griefers can easily rig TNT under such a floor. It may also interfere with any redstone devices present.
 Note blocks
With the release of note blocks players can make songs using the pressure plates to play a note. Players can remove the pressing sound by modifying the plates' sound file in the .minecraft folder. Players can replace the press sound with silence via the aid of sound editing software such as Audacity, then set the file as read-only, thus preventing Minecraft from re-downloading the sound file. This enables a screen recording of the created song without having the pressure plate sound messing up the recording. The sound file is located at .minecraft\resources\newsound\random\click.ogg. Note: this is also the sound for the in-game menu buttons.
 As a Crafting Ingredient
|SF3||Introduced pressure plates.|
|1.3||Pressure plates only require two Wood Planks/stone to craft; previous versions required three (this recipe now creates wooden or stone slabs).|
|1.6||Wooden plates no longer require a pickaxe to be successfully extracted; before they used to. Both types of plates can also be recovered by destroying the block they are on.|
|Pressure plates may no longer be placed on leaf blocks. Pressure plates placed on leaf blocks prior to this update will drop when stepped on and may be recollected.|
|1.8||Pressure plates are placeable on fences, thus representing tables, though they are not functional as pressure plates in this configuration.|
|1.9pre2||Pressure plates now function when placed on top of fences; be aware of this when running redstone wires near tables/fences.|
|1.3.1||12w23a||Wooden pressure plates detect arrows.|
|24 November, 2012||Jeb mentioned weighted pressure plates, a variant of the standard pressure plates, at Minecon 2012. He stated that the output strength will depend on how much the item weighs, and also detect how heavy a minecart with chest is.|
|1.5||13w01a||Weighted pressure plates added.|
|TU1||Added pressure plates.|
|TU5||Pressure plates are placeable on fences.|
Issues relating to "Pressure Plate" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- If you try to place cake on a pressure plate, the cake will float as the pressure plate technically takes up the entire block it is located in.
- When a pressure plate is on a normal block, it will power objects on the same level as the block. If a pressure plate is on a fence, the plate will only power objects at the same level as the pressure plate and it will not transfer power through another block to redstone wire.
- Pressure plates activate when you stand on them if you're within 0.25 blocks of the ground. This means you can fly close to the ground and still activate them when flying.
- Because they are used as tables in villages, when you are in a village, you will hear the constant sound of pressure plates being activated. Just running into the pressure plates will activate them. If this distracts you when you are in the village, you can either turn down your sound, or get rid of them.
- Pressure plates line up perfectly with the wooden planks texture.
Pressure plates used as tables in an NPC Village library
 See also
- Minecon livestream, about 5:14