Wood: 60 Uses
See data values
See data values
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Pickaxes are crafted using 2 sticks and 3 units of a tool material.
|The durability of the two pickaxes is added together, plus an extra 5% durability.|
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Wooden pickaxes can be found in 75.0% of bonus chests in groups of 1.
Stone pickaxes can be found in 25.0% of bonus chests in groups of 1.
Iron pickaxes can be found in 12.2% of stronghold altar chests, 26.0% of village blacksmith chests, 7.0% of chest minecarts in abandoned mineshafts, and 4.0% of stronghold storeroom chests, all in groups of 1.
Enchanted iron pickaxes can be found in 13.4% of End city chests in groups of 1.
Enchanted diamond pickaxes can be found in 13.4% of End city chests in groups of 1.
Trading[edit | edit source]
Tool Smith villagers sell enchanted iron pickaxes for 9–11 emeralds as one of their second tier trades, and enchanted diamond pickaxes for 12–15 emeralds as one of their third tier trades. The enchantments will be the same as might be obtained from an enchantment table at levels 5–19.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Mining[edit | edit source]
A pickaxe is used to break stone and metal based materials faster. When a block is broken using a pickaxe, the pickaxe uses 1 durability. For blocks that break instantly, it uses 0 durability. Pickaxes have different amounts of uses based on the type:
- Golden: 33
- Wooden: 60
- Stone: 132
- Iron: 251
- Diamond: 1562
Different qualities of pickaxe are required to successfully harvest certain ores and blocks. For example, while stone can be mined with any pickaxe, gold ore must be mined with an iron or diamond pickaxe, or else the player will harvest no ore. Different pickaxes also mine many materials at different speeds:
Speed[edit | edit source]
The following table shows the time it takes to break each type of block.
- A red background indicates that the block cannot be harvested with that type of pickaxe.
- A yellow background indicates that the block cannot be harvested with that type of pickaxe, but still drops something.
- A green background indicates that the block can be harvested with that type of pickaxe.
|Times to break blocks by pickaxe|
Weapon[edit | edit source]
If you hit a mob while holding a pickaxe, it will be a stronger attack than if barehanded. Pickaxes use 2 durability when used as a weapon.
Computer edition[edit | edit source]
Pickaxes have an attack speed modifier of -2.8, meaning they take about 0.83 seconds to recover. They deal different damage based on the type:
|Attack speed||Attack damage||Damage/Second (DPS)|
Console and Pocket editions[edit | edit source]
Enchantments[edit | edit source]
A pickaxe can receive the following enchantments:
- Fortune[note 1]
- Silk Touch[note 1]
- Mending[note 2]
- Curse of Vanishing[note 2][upcoming 1.11]
- Fortune and Silk Touch are mutually exclusive.
- Only available using enchanted books and an anvil, or by finding an enchanted pickaxe in an End city chest.
Fuel[edit | edit source]
Wooden pickaxes can be used as a fuel in furnaces, smelting 1 item per pickaxe.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Prerequisites||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Time to Mine!||Use planks and sticks to make a pickaxe||Benchmarking||Pick up any type of pickaxe from a crafting table output.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||10G||Bronze|
|Getting an Upgrade||Construct a better pickaxe||Time to Mine!||Pick up a pickaxe from a crafting table output that is not a wooden pickaxe.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
|MOAR Tools||Construct one type of each tool (one pickaxe, one shovel, one axe and one hoe).||Benchmarking||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
Data values[edit | edit source]
Pickaxes have an item data field to determine durability, and use five different IDs
ID[edit | edit source]
Pickaxes use their ID to determine their grade.
|Name||ID Name||Item ID|
Item data[edit | edit source]
Pickaxes item data is used to determine the damage of the pickaxe. All pickaxes have a data value of 0 when they are fully repaired, and the value increases every time it takes damage. If a pickaxe is used when it only has one use left, it will break instead of increasing the damage. The data value of a pickaxe with only one use is different based on the type:
- Golden: 32
- Wooden: 59
- Stone: 131
- Iron: 250
- Diamond: 1561
Any higher value will act as having only one use left.
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|0.31||January 11, 2010||Added wooden and stone pickaxes.|
|January 29, 2010||Added crafting recipes for wooden and stone pickaxes.|
|Added iron, diamond and golden pickaxes.|
|January 31, 2010||Pickaxes now take damage.|
|Pickaxes are now tiered - better axes last longer.|
|February 1, 2010||Better pickaxes are required to mine harder materials.|
|1.2||Before, the pickaxe had much less durability (usually half as much).|
|Gold pickaxes now mine certain materials much faster.|
|1.8||pre1||Iron pickaxes are now found in the new stronghold storeroom chests, and in the new mineshaft chests.|
|1.0||Beta 1.9-pre3||Iron pickaxes can now be found in the new stronghold altar chests.|
|1.0.0-RC1||Pickaxes and other tools make a sound when they break.|
|1.1||Iron pickaxes are now found in the new village blacksmith chests.|
|1.3.1||12w16a||Wooden and stone pickaxes are now found in the new bonus chests.|
|12w18a||Wooden pickaxes can now be used as fuel in a furnace.|
|1.9||15w31a||Enchanted iron and diamond pickaxes can now be found in end city ship chests.|
|15w34a||Pickaxes now use the "attack strength" combat mechanic meter. The time it takes for the meter to fill up for a pickaxe is 0.8 seconds.|
|15w34c||Pickaxes do less damage but recover quicker.|
|15w35a||Pickaxes recover more slowly.|
|15w44a||Decreased average yield of wood and stone pickaxes in bonus chests.|
|Increased average yield of iron pickaxes in mineshaft chests.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.2.0||Added stone pickaxes.|
|0.3.0||Added wooden pickaxes.|
|0.3.2||Added diamond, iron and gold pickaxes.|
|0.11.0||build 11||All pickaxes are now available in the creative inventory.|
|build 12||Removed all pickaxes from creative.|
|build 13||Re-added pickaxes to creative mode.|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added pickaxes (all five types).|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Pickaxe” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Publicity[edit | edit source]
- Foam Stone pickaxes are official Minecraft merchandise.
- In the game Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise, you can buy a diamond pickaxe which, according to the game, is made by Kick it up a Notch Pickaxes, referring to Notch.
- In the mobile game Vlogger Go Viral clicker game, after buying the figurine shelf, there will be a model of a diamond pickaxe stuck to a grass block.
- In the game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you can find, a pickaxe called the "Notched Pickaxe", evidently an easter egg.
- In the game Offensive Combat, a stone pickaxe can be used as a melee weapon with the name of "The Notch Carver".
- In the game The Binding of Isaac, an obtainable item named "Notched Axe", also with a drawn 8-bit look, can be used to destroy rocks. The Notched Axe also makes a return in the game's remake, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.
- In the game "Borderlands 2", you can find a secret area hidden away by blocks resembling Minecraft Dirt, also once inside you can fight Creeper and the Mother Creeper to get rare Minecraft-related weapons.