dec: 49 hex: 31 bin: 110001
Obsidian is a deep purple and black block known for its high blast resistance and strength.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
- See also: Tutorials/Obsidian farming
Obsidian is known as the sole block which can only be successfully mined with a diamond pickaxe.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Enchanting a pickaxe with "Efficiency" and using a beacon with Haste both drastically decrease the mining time. See the obsidian farming tutorial for more information.
Lava and water[edit | edit source]
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
When a player enters the End, a platform of 25 obsidian blocks is generated for the player to spawn on. This platform can then be mined, and will be regenerated when the player reenters The End. Solid pillars of obsidian can also be found on the surface which will regenerate when the ender dragon is respawned. Obsidian also generates as a part of end cities.
Obsidian also occurs naturally where underwater springs flow onto lava, often at layer 10.
Chests[edit | edit source]
Ender chests[edit | edit source]
When an ender chest is mined with a pickaxe without the Silk Touch enchantment, it drops 8 obsidian.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Obsidian can be used to build explosion resistant structures. At 6,000, obsidian's explosion resistance is the highest you can obtain in Survival mode, other than anvils which have the same blast resistance. Obsidian cannot be pushed by pistons.
Nether portals[edit | edit source]
Obsidian can be used to create a nether portal frame, which can then be ignited using fire. The frame will be a vertical rectangle any size from 4×5 to 23×23. Note that the corners of the frame are not required.
Crafting ingredient[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 9||Added obsidian.|
|In Survival Test mode, obsidian was extremely tough to break and would drop one or two Cobblestone blocks when broken.|
|?||Obsidian was removed.|
|?||Obsidian was restored. It was used to mark the positions of the cardinal directions. This created two intersecting planes extending just above the surface of the solid material that surrounds them. (This has long since been removed.)|
|1.2.0||The nether portal was introduced, made using obsidian.|
|1.8||pre1||Obsidian could be mined with an iron pickaxe (since removed), or moved by endermen.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre3||The enchantment table was introduced, crafted using obsidian.|
|Beta 1.9-pre6||Obsidian mining time was decreased from 15 to 2.5 seconds.|
|Obsidian mining time was increased from 2.5 to 10 seconds.|
|1.1||Obsidian can be found in village chests.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||The ender chest was introduced, crafted using obsidian.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||The beacon block got a crafting recipe using obsidian.|
|12w38a||The wither's “blue wither skull” projectile was introduced, producing a special explosion which can destroy obsidian.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Obsidian can now be destroyed with explosives by summoning a fireball with custom data.|
|1.8||14w25a||“Infiniobsidian” glitch (allowing conversion of redstone into obsidian) fixed during the implementation of the new block metadata format.|
|14w30a||Obsidian can now be found inside chests in nether fortresses.|
|1.9||15w31a||Obsidian now generates as part of the end cities.|
|15w43a||Slightly decreased yield from nether fortress chests.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.5.0||Glowing obsidian was added, which drops a block of regular obsidian when mined.|
|The newly added nether reactor structure generates a “spire” of obsidian when activated.|
|0.6.0||The “spires” generated by nether reactors are now made of netherrack instead of obsidian.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Obsidian can now be used to form nether portals.|
|Obsidian is now used to craft enchanting tables.|
|0.13.0||build 2||Obsidian now requires 6.5 seconds to mine, rather than 3.|
|0.16.0||build 1||Obsidian is now used to craft beacons.|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added obsidian.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Obsidian” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian is one of the hardest blocks to destroy in Minecraft. In reality, obsidian is glass-like in texture and quite fragile.
- In real life, obsidian is an extrusive igneous rock like andesite, meaning that they are both formed from lava that has cooled down.
- Destroying an obsidian block with a diamond pickaxe while underwater without standing on solid ground would take 3 minutes and 54 seconds. (Without the pickaxe, it takes 4 minutes and 10 seconds.) Either way, the player will run out of air long before the block is mined. (Unless a potion of water breathing is used)
- It is a common misconception that enough TNT will destroy obsidian. Even though its explosion resistance rating is finite, additional TNT or other explosives will have no more effect on an individual block than only one (it would take 71.25 times the explosive power of TNT to destroy a block of obsidian). It is possible to hack or use
/summonan explosion strong enough to destroy obsidian, but no such explosion appears naturally.
- The "Blue Wither Skull"'s ability to destroy obsidian is a special feature; its explosion is otherwise no stronger than a ghast's fireball.