dec: 110 hex: 6E bin: 1101110
Mycelium is a block that has a particle effect that resembles tiny spores being released constantly from the surface.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Mycelium can only be obtained by mining it using a tool with the Silk Touch enchantment. Otherwise it will drop dirt. A shovel is the fastest tool to collect it.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Mycelium generates naturally in mushroom biomes.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Effect on plants[edit | edit source]
- Mushrooms can remain on mycelium blocks in any light level, unlike the situation on other blocks, where mushrooms are broken (dropping as items) during block updates in high light.
- Huge mushrooms can grow on mycelium, just as they can grow on dirt or grass.
- Mycelium cannot be tilled with a hoe to make farmland. Saplings, flowers, grasses, shrubs, ferns and sugar cane cannot be planted on it, and pumpkins and melons will not grow on it.
Spread[edit | edit source]
A mycelium block can spread to any dirt block within one space above, one sideways, or three down. The mycelium needs light level 9+ above it and the dirt needs light level 4+ above it, and must not be covered by any light-impeding block or any opaque block. Mycelium reverts to dirt when covered by one of the light-impeding blocks above and the light level at that block is below 4.
If there is a plant on a dirt block when mycelium spreads to it, the plant will pop out and drop as an item.
Generated caves and ravines in a Mushroom Island biome will not remove mycelium, often leaving a thin layer over a ravine or 'bars' of mycelium covering a cave.
Data values[edit | edit source]
Block state[edit | edit source]
- See also: Block states
||True if the mycelium block has snow or snow (layer) above it.|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre1||Added mycelium.|
|Beta 1.9-pre5||Mycelium now appears in the Creative mode inventory.|
|1.2.4||Mycelium is now the only block that mushrooms can be planted and spawned on while in direct contact with sunlight.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added mycelium.|
|0.9.2||Mycelium spreads correctly.|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added mycelium.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Mycelium” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is a common misconception that only mooshrooms can spawn on mycelium. This is not true; friendly and hostile mobs can spawn on mycelium just as on any other block. It is the mechanics of the mushroom biome that prevents other mobs from spawning. Relatedly, mycelium outside of a mushroom biome will not spawn mooshrooms.
- The spore particle effect is called "townaura" in the game code.
- In real life, mycelium is the mushroom's nutrient gathering web of thin threads known as hyphae. The entire mushroom, from the mycelium to the cap is made entirely of hyphae.