See Data values
See Data values
Music discs, also known by their item IDs as records, are items that can be played in jukeboxes. By default, they play music made by C418; however, custom music can be added with the use of a resource pack.
Console Edition tutorial world
- See also: Console Edition tutorial
Music discs can be found in naturally generated chests in the console edition tutorial world.
Please note, these tracks have been shortened to 30 seconds, due to an agreement with the author. This does not apply to "11".
|Icon||Track name||Description||Track||Length (time)|
|13||A somewhat unsettling ambient track consisting mostly of cave noises, metallic clinks, splashes, wind blowing, and muffled bow firings.||
|cat||An upbeat, synthetic melody. In the .minecraft directory, the music disc plays another tune by C418, titled Dog.||
5:32 (Console Edition)
|blocks||An upbeat, catchy tune.||
|chirp||An upbeat, retro melody.||
|far||A calm, relaxing, nature-like melody.||
|mall||A calm piece of serene music.||
|mellohi||A slow, slightly melancholic waltz.||
|stal||A moderate jazz-like piece.||
|strad||A tropical-sounding synth piece.||
|ward||The record starts off with an excerpt from Chopin's Funeral March played on synth organ but goes into an electronic, upbeat, exploration and adventure tune with a dark undertone.||
|11||A slightly disturbing disk, the recording seems to be of a person running across (or maybe breaking) different block types and later on, stopping to use equipment of some kind, cough, and then continue running with a hastened pace. The block sounds similar to that of dirt and stone. The person struggling, and haunting background noises are heard throughout the recording. Strange noises of barking or wind blowing are heard near the end before abruptly stopping. One can hear static noise akin to what would be expected at the end of a vinyl album after this point before ending.||
|wait||An upbeat and relaxing song, with a "blocky" feel to it.
This disc is the latest to be added to Minecraft, although it has existed in the game data for quite some time (as where are we now).
In the Console Edition, it uses the original title where are we now.
||3:58 (Fades at 3:51)|
A music disc's type is defined by its ID name.
|Name||ID Name||Numerical ID|
Raw music files
The 12 music tracks created for records by C418 can be found in:
All music disc files are in
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Prerequisites||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Music to my Ears||Play a music disc in a Jukebox.||—||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||20G||Bronze|
|April 2010||C418 uploaded this video to YouTube. It contains previews of many music tracks that were later added as records.|
|1.0.14||13 and cat were the first records to be added to Minecraft. Records were offically named "music discs". 13 was an ambient track before this update.|
|Music discs were added to dungeon chests.|
|1.2_02||Before this update, gold 13 music discs were noticeably more common than green cat ones. Now, green cat discs are more often dropped.|
|August 1, 2011||C418 announces new music discs.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre2||9 new discs were implemented, adding up to a total of 11 discs, although they are not dropped by any Creepers. These are stored along with the first discs, 13.mus and cat.mus, (which have been decoded as 13.ogg and cat.ogg respectively). Before this update, there were 12 unused music files, now only one remains unused, which is the song "where are we now". "Where are we now" was not added with the rest of the new 9 discs because of problems with the spaces in the name.|
|1.1||All of the discs except for 11 can be dropped by creepers killed by skeletons. Also, they all have the same probability of being dropped now.|
|1.4.4||1.4.3-pre||The disc where are we now was renamed to wait and was made available in game. 11 is also available in survival now. It is dropped by creepers in the same way as other discs.|
|1.5||13w04a||Active jukeboxes give off a redstone signal when a comparator is placed behind it; its strength depends on the ID of the inserted disc.|
|1.6.1||13w24a||Custom music discs can now be made using resource packs.|
|Before this version, cat and 13 were the only discs in .ogg formats, all the other discs were in .mus format, which was decrypted by Minecraft on-the-fly|
|1.9||15w44a||Decreased average yield from dungeon chests.|
|1.11||16w39a||Music discs cat and 13 are now found in the new woodland mansion chests.|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added 13 and cat.|
|TU5||Added the remaining 10 music discs.|
|TU12||Where Are We Now uses the blue texture used in the PC version, opposed to the green Cat texture it used to use.|
|TU22||CU10||1.15||Added Where Are We Now to survival.|
Issues relating to “Music Disc” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- One of the disc names, stal, is in Swedish; "stal" means "stole", but can also be "stål" with the ring diacritic, which means "steel".
- Music disc "11", based on its data value, is the 11th disc in the game, is the only music disc that is shattered to pieces (this is why the end is static), lasts for 1 minute and 11 seconds, and outputs 11 when put in a comparator jukebox.
- Chirp uses a sample from the Optigan disc "Bossa Nova Style". It also sounds very similar to the song "The Orb Of Dreamers" from the PlayStation game series LittleBigPlanet, which also uses the sample. You can compare the two here.
- In Console Edition, if you play the music disc "Cat", then after it is finished playing "Cat", it will play "Dog", which is a remix of Cat by C418 and is part of the Minecraft - Volume Alpha soundtrack album.
- If the .ogg file for the music disc "11" is turned into a spectrogram in an audio editor, the static at the end displays what seems to be the main character's face and the numbers 12418.
- The numbers are a visual signature, where "12" is hexadecimal for "C", and combined with "418" creates "C418".
- The data values used by music discs range from 2256 - 2267, while all other blocks/items use the first free data value available.