1 - 3
Mooshrooms use the same model as the cow, but have red skin (with the white patches also used by the cows), big black eyes, and are covered with red mushroom growths. The mooshroom calf does not have any mushrooms on its back.
Mooshrooms can be sheared for 5 red mushrooms, which turns the sheared Mooshrooms into cows. Sheared Mooshrooms cannot be reverted to Mooshrooms. If killed, they drop leather and raw beef (steak if killed with fire), exactly like cows. Mooshrooms can be milked with a bucket as well, but also can be "milked" with an empty bowl to obtain mushroom stew, making them quite useful as finding mushrooms constantly is difficult. Mooshrooms are uniquely valuable because they give infinite food with just one animal and one bowl—the only case in Minecraft where you can get food indefinitely without growing crops, breeding animals, or having access to a zombie / spider spawner. This is a big advantage in survival mode. However, they only spawn in Mushroom Island biomes, which are extremely rare (and usually surrounded by an ocean biome). In creative mode you can spawn Mooshrooms with a spawn egg, just like most other mobs.
If a pair of Mooshrooms are given wheat, they will breed. If you shear the baby Mooshroom's parents, the babies will stop following their parents.
Baby Mooshrooms will walk faster and are followed by their parents. They will not drop anything when killed, but still can be milked and sheared. Shearing will turn the baby Mooshrooms into calves. You cannot breed Mooshrooms with cows in PC but you can in Xbox 360.
|1.0.0||1.9pre1||Mooshrooms were added. Mooshrooms only inhabit the Mushroom biome. They also could not be milked with a bucket like regular cows can. Right clicking on a Mooshroom with more than one bowl equipped would turn the whole stack into just one bowl of mushroom stew.|
|1.9pre2||Breeding a cow with a Mooshroom may result in either, chosen randomly. The offspring may be more likely to be the kind you gave wheat to first, similarly to Sheep.|
|1.9pre3||Shearing a Mooshroom would cause it to split into two regular cows that could not be killed.|
|1.9pre4||Mooshrooms may now spawn in other biomes as well.|
|1.2.1||12w07b||Mooshrooms have the new AI system.|
|1.2.3||Fixed shearing bug.(please verify if this is the correct version)|
|1.2.5||Fixed mushroom stew "milking" bug.(please verify if this is the correct version)|
|Mooshrooms can no longer breed with cows.(please verify if this is the correct version)|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Added new step, hurt, and idle sounds.|
Issues relating to "Mooshroom" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- When a Mooshroom transforms into a normal cow by shearing, it emits smoke particles.
- When sheared, Mooshrooms drop red mushrooms and not brown mushrooms. However, one can "milk" a Mooshroom with a bowl to obtain mushroom stew, which normally needs both red mushrooms and brown mushrooms to create.
- Mooshrooms are similar to infected insects with Cordyceps fungi. Just like Cordyceps fungi growing on infected insects and terrestrial arthropods, mushrooms also grow on the Mooshroom.
- It is very similar to a famous cow on a popular milk brand sold in Sweden (and other countries) known as the "Arla cow".
- Because a Mooshroom can be "milked" repeatedly for mushroom stew, they can be used for an infinite food source.
- Despite having only 3 mushrooms on their backs, Mooshrooms can be sheared for 5 mushrooms.
- Because when a Mooshroom is sheared the Mooshroom entity is removed and replaced by a new Cow entity, you can breed Mooshrooms, shear them, and breed them again immediately.
- The Mooshroom is called
mushroomcowin the game code and its mesh is called
- When an invisibility effect is added to a Mooshroom you can still see the mushrooms on its back (this also happens with sheep's wool, spider and endermen eyes and some others). This is due to the fact that the wool, mushrooms etc. are simply another layer on the mob. The invisibility potion makes the body invisible, while the other layers are still visible.
- If you breed Mooshrooms and then shear both, the baby will stop following its parents.