December 2nd, 2009
"Way less than 4 kb"
Minecraft 4k is a version of Minecraft developed for the Java 4K "in way less than 4 kilobytes". The version of the game is very limited. You are restricted to only placing or destroying blocks, with grass blocks being the only type you can place. The same world is generated every time, i.e. a new world is not generated every time. The only blocks in the world are grass, dirt, stone, wood, leaves, air, and brick, and the blocks are randomly located. There is no sky, just plain blackness, and the map itself is very small - only 64 × 64 × 64. The game also appears to be like Classic - it takes no time to destroy blocks, an infinite number of blocks can be placed, there are only a small number of blocks, there is no day/night cycle, there are no mobs, and the map itself is finite. The left and right clicking controls are reversed from current traditional Minecraft controls. Moving the mouse will turn the screen "smoothly", like pressing F8 in Beta, and there is no way to disable this. There doesn't seem to be a way to edit the controls, or even access a menu.
There are 16 block ID's(half byte). Dirt is the standard block.
The M.jar that the HTML uses can be found at: http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/minecraft4k/M.jar .
- An invisible barrier encompasses the map, preventing the player from walking out, falling through, or going above it.
- The map's dimensions are 64 × 64 × 64, or 262,144 blocks.
- Leaves don't despawn when the wood around them is destroyed like they do in standard Minecraft.
- The M.jar file that Minecraft 4k is played from is a mere 2.52KB.
- The placing and destroying controls are reversed, in that blocks are placed using left click and removed with right click.
- You have to click the applet screen before you can move or jump (field of view moves with the mouse).
- Clicking the mouse wheel does the same function as left mouse clicking.
- Pressing SHIFT will toggle if you can move or not.
- You cannot fly, just like in Classic.
- No mobs exist in the game.
- The dirt and grass textures are different.
- The texture for bricks is the texture from Minecraft Classic.
- It is quite easy to download this game's jar and html file to play it offline.