Minecart with Furnace
dec: 343 hex: 157 bin: 000101010111
Minecarts with Furnace (also called Furnace Minecarts or Powered Minecarts) are a special type of minecart which accepts coal or charcoal as fuel for powered movement and can be used to push other minecarts, thus functioning as an engine. It is most commonly used as an efficient and easily renewable alternative to powered rails.
A good usage for the "Powered Minecart" is to put it at the back of another minecart, so it's more like a train. A more important use of this is Rail movement in the Superflat world type on Survival Mode. Powered rails are a better solution if you have the resources.
To use the Minecart with Furnace, first place it on a track. Select your fuel (currently only Coal and Charcoal work) then use the "Use" control (normally right-click) on the Minecart. When right-clicking on the Minecart, face the direction you want it to travel. You can make the cart change direction by right-clicking the Minecart while facing the opposite direction of travel. Your coal or charcoal will be consumed once used on the furnace.
- Breaking a Minecart with Furnace gives a plain cart and the furnace back (but any fuel inside will be lost).
- Minecarts with Furnace cannot push other carts around 180-degree hairpin turns.
- A player in a cart adds significant weight, requiring more power to push.
- Formerly, 1/1 slopes were too steep for a Minecart with Furnace, and multiple minecarts were needed to push other carts up slopes; 2 powered minecarts could push a player-occupied minecart up a 1/1 slope slowly and three powered minecarts could push an occupied minecart up such a slope at normal speed. However, as of the Horse Update, a single Minecart with Furnace seems to be able to push other carts up hill at normal speed.
- When a powered minecart runs out of fuel, it does not break.
- If too much stress is put on the Minecart with Furnace then it will stop. Right-click activates it again.
- Each piece of coal powers a Minecart with Furnace for 3 minutes. Adding another piece of coal at any time increases the total range by another 3 minutes.
- Minecarts with Furnaces on a level track will cover 204m per minute (about 3.4 m/s), or 612m per piece of coal. Pushing multiple Minecarts may decrease the range slightly, depending on collisions.
- Minecarts with Furnaces are much less powerful than powered rails, making powered rails a far better option for long-distance travelling at high speed.
- Minecarts with Furnaces have no GUI.
|1.0.14||The Minecart with Furnace, originally called the Powered Minecart was added in the 1.0.14 Seecret Friday Update 7.|
|1.0.0||Each piece of coal powers a Minecart with Furnace for 3 minutes. Adding another piece of coal at any time increases the total range by another 3 minutes. Previously, any fuel added before the Minecart stopped moving was wasted, as the duration would max out at three minutes regardless of how much coal was added. A full stack of 64 coal powers it for 192 minutes.|
|Minecarts with Furnaces on a level track will cover 204 meters per minute.|
- As of Beta 1.8.1, Powered Minecarts do not produce the new lighting.
- The orientation of the minecart and its furnace depends on the track only. As a result, the furnace may reverse front-to-back as the cart goes through a turn, and it will do so repeatedly when moving along a diagonal track. This behavior can also be noticed with Storage Minecarts.
- On some servers, Powered Minecarts will run very slowly and randomly stop dead in its tracks.
- Right clicking will cause the Powered Minecart to go forward a little bit, even if it is not loaded with fuel.
- Powered minecarts share the burning furnace texture (the same as chest minecarts) so editing a furnace will edit a powered minecart's texture.
- If you look from above, you can see that the furnace's texture shows that something is burning while nothing is actually there.
- Powered Minecarts can be powered without coal in Creative.
- A stack of 64 coal will power the Minecart for 3 hours and 12 minutes.