Partial (blocks light)
dec: 103 hex: 67 bin: 1100111
Melons are blocks that grow from fully grown melon seeds.
Melons can be mined with any tool, but axes (and swords) are the quickest. Melons can only be obtained using a tool with silk touch, or it will drop 3–7 melon slices.
|Breaking time (seconds)|
When a melon block is pushed by a piston, it will break into 3–7 melon slices.
Melons naturally generate in jungle biomes.
- See also: Tutorials/Pumpkin and melon farming
Melon seeds can be planted, placing a small stem that will grow over time. Once the stem reaches maturity, it will attempt to spawn a melon block in one of the four immediately adjacent blocks; however, this attempt may fail if the chosen adjacent block is not empty or the block beneath is not dirt, grass, or farmland. Once a stem has connected to a melon, that stem will not produce any further melons until the existing melon is harvested.
Melons were first revealed in an IGN interview with Notch.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre4||Melons had a bug that made it only yield 1 Melon.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Melons now spawn in jungle biomes.|
|1.8||14w31a||Now break faster when mined with an axe.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Melons now spawn naturally in jungle biomes.|
|build 10||Melons now spawn a lot less in jungle biomes.|
- Any stem adjacent to a melon block will appear to be connected to it, even if the melon was not grown from that stem.
- Due to this, if a Melon block spawns between two stems, it will connect to both of them. Pumpkins also do this.
- On the Getsatisfaction.com complete ideas for the Ideas section, it was stated that Watermelons were to be implemented.
- Despite the fact that the block and the items are called "Melon", "Melon Slice" and "Glistering Melon", they have the appearance of Watermelons and Watermelon Slices, like they were originally supposed to be named.
A picture of the growth stages of a melon stem.
A view of two equally efficient melon farms.
A picture of 49% efficient melon farm (2nd version).
A simple way to farm melons with sticky pistons.
Fully Auto Melon Farm.png
A completely automatic melon farm.