Partial (blocks light)
dec: 103 hex: 67 bin: 1100111
Melons are blocks that grow from fully grown melon seeds.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Melons can be mined with any tool, but axes (and swords) are the quickest. Melons can only be obtained using a tool with silk touch, or it will drop 3–7 melon slices.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
When a melon block is pushed by a piston, it will break into 3–7 melon slices.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Melons naturally generate in jungle biomes.
Farming[edit | edit source]
- See also: Tutorials/Pumpkin and melon farming
Melon seeds can be planted, placing a small stem that will grow over time. Once the stem reaches maturity, it will attempt to generate a melon block in one of the four immediately adjacent blocks; however, this attempt may fail if the chosen adjacent block is not empty or the block beneath is not dirt, grass, or farmland. Once a stem has connected to a melon, that stem will not produce any further melons until the existing melon is harvested.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Usage[edit | edit source]
Trading[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Melons were first revealed in an IGN interview with Notch.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre4||Melons had a bug that made it only yield 1 Melon.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Melons now generate in jungle biomes.|
|1.8||14w31a||Now break faster when mined with an axe.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Melons now generate naturally in jungle biomes.|
|build 10||Melons now generate a lot less in jungle biomes.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Any stem adjacent to a melon block will appear to be connected to it, even if the melon was not grown from that stem.
- Due to this, if a melon block generates between two stems, it will connect to both of them. Pumpkins also do this, although they will not connect to plants of different species.
- On the Getsatisfaction.com complete ideas for the Ideas section, it was stated that Watermelons were to be implemented.
- Despite the fact that the block and the items are called "Melon" and "Glistering Melon", they have the appearance of Watermelons and Watermelon Slices, like they were originally supposed to be named.