The Nether, any light level
Magma Cubes can spawn anywhere in the Nether at any light level.
Big and small sized Magma Cubes have a 25% chance to drop a single Magma Cream, the chances and amount can be increased with the looting enchantment.
Magma cubes move by hopping, which they will do each 40 to 120 ticks (2 to 6 seconds).
Magma cubes will search for a player within 16 blocks (spherical) distance.
- If no players are found, they wait 40 to 120 ticks (2 to 6 seconds). Then they will change direction, by a random amount up to 57.26° (1 radian) left or right, jump, and repeat the process.
- If a player is found, the delay before jumping will be 1⁄3 as long (3 to 10 ticks), and the magma cube's direction will be set directly toward the nearest player before jumping.
Magma cubes cannot burn and are not affected by lava. They are immune to fall damage.
Magma cubes' jump height depends on their size. Their forward speed is twice that of most other mobs. They always make a distinct sound upon jumping up and landing, but no idle sounds.
- See also: Tutorials/Combat#Magma_Cube
Magma cubes attack players by attempting to land on top of them, but can cause damage when the player touches them anywhere. This can make large cubes tricky to fight, as their jump rate is fairly random.
The health of a magma cube is size squared. The attack strength is size doubled. The armor points is size tripled.
A magma cube's jump height and distance also depends on their size; a magma cube will jump a distance approximate to its length times 1.5, and a height equivalent to their size in blocks. This means that a size 4 magma cube will jump four blocks in height and move significantly quicker than a size 2 magma cube, which will jump two blocks in height, while a size 1 (tiny) will move at a very slow rate and jump one block in height.
When a magma cube is killed, it may split into 1 to 4 magma cubes of the smaller size, and will disappear like other mobs if the smallest size is killed.
Magma cubes also have an odd attack interval: their attack speed is twice that of other melee-combat mobs. Mobs like endermen and silverfish attack at a rate of one hit per second, while magma cubes attack at a rate of two hits per second. Essentially, this mean that a size 4 magma cube will deal six hearts of damage per second on normal difficulty, dealing three hearts every half-second.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre1||Magma Cubes have been added.|
|Beta 1.9-pre2||Magma Cubes were made quite rare.|
|1.0.0-RC1||Magma Cubes were given sounds.|
|1.1||Large and small Magma Cubes now drop Magma Cream.|
|1.3.1||12w18a||Magma Cubes did not show their animation in single player, due to singleplayer being a local server.|
|12w23a||Magma Cubes now show their animation in multiplayer.|
|1.8||14w06b||Now swim as a result of the update to the new AI.|
|Randomly change direction every so often, reducing the chance of them getting stuck at walls or corners.|
|Now randomly despawn over time if no player is within a 32 meter range.|
|Magma cube jumping mechanics have been changed. How far they jump now corresponds to the length of their size; they will jump approximately 1.5 times their current length. For example, a tiny size 1 magma cube will jump very slowly, while a large size 4 magma cube will jump farther. Also, when attacking, magma cubes turn their whole body to face the player.|
|TU7||Added magma cubes.|
Issues relating to "Magma Cube" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Magma Cubes appear to glow, as their eyes seem to stay bright at some low light levels.
- Large Magma Cubes can jump 4 blocks high (over a wall).
- Their texture file is called "lava.png".
- Magma cubes are a somewhat rare sight in the Nether, spawning infrequently with only one per spawn. They tend to spawn more frequently in Nether fortresses, however.
- If you have access to slimes in the overworld, you don't necessarily need to hunt magma cubes for magma cream, as you can craft it using one slimeball and one blaze powder. This still means you must go to the Nether, however, and it may be easier to pick up magma cream while you're there, as opposed to wasting slimeballs and blaze powder.