The Nether, any light level
Magma Cubes are hostile mobs with dark red and black skin and red, orange and yellow eyes found around The Nether. When killed, they release 2-4 smaller versions of themselves in addition to Experience Orbs, similar to Slimes. When they move, they jump up and momentarily unravel into several layers, giving them the appearance of a spring and revealing a molten lava core inside.
Magma Cubes are reddish brown cubes with fiery eyes vaguely similar to Creepers and Slimes, but bright orange. Although they look like normal slimes, when they jump they separate into 8 layers in a spring-like fashion, revealing a bright orange lava core. They release the same fire particles as spawners do upon landing.
Magma Cubes have the same behavior as Slimes with some exceptions:
- They jump every 40 to 120 ticks (2 to 6 seconds), one-quarter as often as Slimes. When pursuing a player, the time between jumps is divided by 3.
- They cannot burn and are not affected by lava.
- They do not take fall damage.
- They will hurt you even in their smallest size.
- Their jump height depends on their size.
- Their forward speed is twice that of other mobs.
- They always make a sound upon landing and have different sounds for big and small cubes.
- They spawn often near Nether Fortresses.
- Whilst tiny Slimes are unable to jump 1.5 blocks distance, tiny Magma Cubes can.
Fighting Magma Cubes can be very rewarding, as they can drop a large total amount of experience (12-28 for a large one, 4-6 for a small one), and Magma Cream is used to make Potions of Fire Resistance, which can be a life saver in the Nether and cave exploration. Magma Cubes are difficult to fight, however, especially the large ones, which have 31 ( × 15.5) practical health due to their 12 () armor points, and then split into 2-4 small Magma Cubes, which each split into 2-4 tiny Magma Cubes, thus giving a large Magma Cube an effective total health of 51 ( × 25.5) - 87 ( × 43.5) and each small one an effective total health of 10 () - 14 (), and that is not including the fact that when they split, overkill damage is obviously not carried over. However, they don't do much damage (only 6 () for the large one), and they are rather slow (though they can jump very far). It is not suggested that you attempt to fight a large Magma Cube with only a sword, but a small one can be killed in 2(diamond) or 3(iron/stone) hits, and tiny Magma Cubes can be killed with one hit from any sword. If you hit the Magma Cube while it is jumping at you, you can interrupt its attack. It will take 5(diamond)/6(iron)/7(stone) hits to kill. Large Magma Cubes are more challenging, and a bow is suggested. Once it splits, back away (especially if it splits into 4) and attack the small Magma Cubes with arrows. The tiny Magma Cubes can be killed with one hit from a sword or an arrow charged to medium or full. The tiny Cubes appear to only be able to damage you with their bottom side, so if you can stay at a higher elevation than them, you can target the remaining small Cubes before dealing with the tiny ones.
|1.0.0||1.9pre1||Magma Cubes have been added.|
|1.9pre2||Magma Cubes were made quite rare.|
|1.0.0RC1||Magma Cubes were given sounds.|
|1.1||Large and small Magma Cubes now drop Magma Cream.|
|1.3.1||12w18a||Magma Cubes did not show their animation in single player, due to singleplayer being a local server.|
|12w23a||Magma Cubes now show their animation in multiplayer.|
|1.8||14w06b||Now swim as a result of the update to the new AI.|
|Randomly change direction every so often, reducing the chance of them getting stuck at walls or corners.|
|Now randomly despawn over time if no player is within a 32 meter range.|
|14w11a||Appear to jump a bit more randomly.|
|TU7||Added magma cubes.|
Issues relating to "Magma Cube" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Every Magma Cube size drops experience orbs. This means that killing a big cube and all its spawnlings would grant the player up to 28 experience, as opposed to 5 experience of other hostile mobs.
- Magma Cubes only have a 25% chance of dropping Magma Cream, but these odds and the number of dropped items can be increased with the Looting Enchantment.
- Despite their fiery appearance, they do not take any damage from water, although like slimes they will drown if completely submerged in it.
- Magma Cubes can appear anywhere in The Nether.
- Magma Cubes are often found in lava but never spawn in it.
- They share their resistance to lava with all other Nether mobs.
- Like Slimes, when a magma cube is not chasing the player it will hop in one direction.
- It seems that Magma cubes can only damage you using their bottom side.
- Magma Cubes are immune to fall damage, just like ocelots/cats, iron golems, snow golems, and chickens.
- Armor gives big/medium/small Magma Cubes 48%/24%/12% resistance against most attacks. It means that you need to deal at least 31 ( × 15.5) / 6 () / 2 () physical damage to kill a cube.
- Magma Cubes appear to glow, as their eyes seem to stay bright at some low light levels.
- Large Magma Cubes can jump 4 blocks high (over a wall).
- Their texture file is called "lava.png" because of their lava core.
- Tiny magma cubes can still attack the player but only inflict damage if the player jumps on them. Also being that if the player is on the edge of a block, the tiny magma cube (or cubes) would be able to jump up right next to the block and hurt the player, appearing to be by touching the feet. If the magma cube (or cubes) can reach the player. Unlike big or small magma cubes, tiny magma cubes do not hurt the player by being walked into or jumping on the player, just by the conditions said above.
- Magma Cubes, much like Slimes cannot swim. Thus, they can get trapped in deep lava, although they will not drown. They seem to move very slowly in both water and lava.
- Magma cubes of size X jump exactly as high as the player with Jump Boost X.
- The health of a magmacube is size squared. The attack strength is size +2. The armor points is size x3, which means that a magma cube with size 9 is immune to physical attacks.