The Nether, any light level
Magma Cubes are hostile mobs with dark red and black skin and red, orange and yellow eyes only found around The Nether.
Magma Cubes can spawn anywhere in the Nether at any light level.
Big and small sized Magma Cubes have a 25% chance to drop a single Magma Cream, the chances and amount can be increased with the looting enchantment
Magma cubes move by hopping, which they will do each 40 to 120 ticks (2 to 6 seconds).
Magma cubes will search for a player within 16 blocks (spherical) distance.
- If no players are found, they wait 40 to 120 ticks (2 to 6 seconds). Then they will change direction, by a random amount up to 57.26° (1 radian) left or right, jump, and repeat the process.
- If a player is found, the delay before jumping will be 1⁄3 as long (3 to 10 ticks), and the magma cube's direction will be set directly toward the nearest player before jumping.
Magma cubes cannot burn and are not affected by lava. They are immune to fall damage.
Magma cubes jump height depends on their size. Their forward speed is twice that of most other mobs. The also always make a sound upon landing.
- See also: Tutorials/Combat#Magma_Cube
Magma cubes damage players by landing on top of them.
The health of a Magma Cube is size squared. The attack strength is size doubled. The armor points is size tripled.
When a magma cube is killed, it may split into 1 to 4 magma cubes of the smaller size, and will disappear like other mobs if the smallest size is killed.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre1||Magma Cubes have been added.|
|Beta 1.9-pre2||Magma Cubes were made quite rare.|
|1.0.0-RC1||Magma Cubes were given sounds.|
|1.1||Large and small Magma Cubes now drop Magma Cream.|
|1.3.1||12w18a||Magma Cubes did not show their animation in single player, due to singleplayer being a local server.|
|12w23a||Magma Cubes now show their animation in multiplayer.|
|1.8||14w06b||Now swim as a result of the update to the new AI.|
|Randomly change direction every so often, reducing the chance of them getting stuck at walls or corners.|
|Now randomly despawn over time if no player is within a 32 meter range.|
|Magma cube jumping mechanics have been changed. How far they jump now corresponds to the length of their size; they will jump approximately 2.5 times their current length. For example, a tiny size 1 magma cube will jump very slowly, while a large size 4 magma cube will jump farther. Also, when attacking, magma cubes turn their whole body to face the player.|
|TU7||Added magma cubes.|
Issues relating to "Magma Cube" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Magma Cubes appear to glow, as their eyes seem to stay bright at some low light levels.
- Large Magma Cubes can jump 4 blocks high (over a wall).
- Their texture file is called "lava.png".