No, but catches fire from lava
dec: 95 hex: 5F bin: 1011111
chest_locked_aprilfools_ super_old_legacy_we_should_ not_even_have_this
|Note: The data value refers to Stained Glass in current versions of Minecraft|
|This page contains content that is no longer in the game.
These features only exist in outdated versions of Minecraft.
The Locked chest was an April Fools block.
When introduced, this block was indestructible except for explosions, allowing it to drop.
Every chunk generated between April 1 and April 5, 2011 had a small chance of having a locked chest in it..
Clicking use button on the chest would bring up a screen, and clicking on the "Go to Store" button would forward you to the "Minecraft Store". It linked to "https://minecraft.net/store/loop.jsp", but it now redirects you to "https://minecraft.net/store" because the original page was removed. Various items were "sold" in the Minecraft Store (see below). Clicking on the proceed to checkout button triggered a screamer in which a Velociraptor from the movie Jurassic Park growled loudly and flew across the screen.
Entering items totaling over $10,000 into the cart causes a window pop-up asking if you are prone to seizures. Entering OK makes the screen start flashing. When first released, there was no seizure warning label, Notch later implemented it to avoid lawsuits and posts on the forum.
On April 2 (the day following April Fools), the store had the addition of a multicolored banner which read "♥ April Fools'! ♥", accompanied by a midi instrumental of Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up'. Tobias Möllstam stated that this was "the best script he's written to date."
The store page used the font tf2build.ttf from Team Fortress 2 which is downloadable from here.
Twelve "items" were "available":
- Steve Co. Supply Crate Key ($3)
- Steve Co. Supply Crate Key 5-Pack ($18)
- Miner's Helmet ($21)
- Name Change ($99)
- Creeper Saddle ($42)
- Secret Griefer Identity ($155)
- Enlargement Pill ($2)
- Response From Support ($494)
- Three "Coming Soon" items (Priced at $75, $7, and $1499)
- "Regular Padlock" for $8. The "Regular Padlock" used the same image as the "Coming Soon" items.
Locked chests emitted a light level of 15.
Locked chests could be used as a fuel, lasting 15 seconds (or 1,5 items).
|1.4||Added locked chests.|
|1.4_01||Notch planned to remove them at midnight April 2, but didn't due to illness. Instead they were removed in the Beta 1.4_01 patch on April 5. They were not removed from the game entirely; instead code was added for locked chests in the world to disappear, causing them to decay in a fashion similar to leaves. If locked chests are stored in the inventory, they remain until they are placed in the world.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||The original Chest texture was removed, causing the Locked Chest's texture to change from to|
|12w22a||Texture changed from to with the addition of the Block of Emerald.|
|1.5||13w01a||Texture changed from to with the addition of the Block of Redstone.|
|13w02a||When the textures were put into individual files the locked chest had nothing to use, causing the game to crash if a world containing one was loaded.|
|13w03a||The crash above was fixed by introducing a placeholder texture; texture changed from to .|
|1.6.1||13w18a||The locked chest texture was changed from to following a placeholder texture/model change.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||Removed Locked Chest as an item. The block can be placed only with
|13w41a||Removed Locked Chest entirely. Stained Glass now occupies its former data value.|
- Locked chests are a reference to the Mann Co. Supply Crates from Team Fortress 2, where a key must be purchased for $2.49 in the in-game shop called Mann Co. Store in order to open the crate.
- This may have been what Notch was talking about in his Twitter post about a "silly secret project".
- Locked chests could generate in mid air or in the tops of trees.
- Locked chests could be placed next to each other to form a 2 block long chest like normal chests do. These two chests are still however "locked".
- The server console outputted "added a chest!" each time a chest was generated.
- The 5-key pack is actually $3 more than 5 single keys.
- The archived page is available in reduced functionality here.
- Locked chests made lava particles when broken.
- The named ID of the Locked Chest was "minecraft:chest_locked_aprilfools_super_old_legacy_we_should_not_even_have_this" (the longest named ID in Minecraft history). This name was valid from 13w37a to 13w41a.
- If you place stained glass, then change to version 1.6.4 or earlier, the stained glass will become a locked chest.
- Although locked chests were removed in the 1.7 update, there are still translation strings for it in the en_US.lang file.