dec: 101 hex: 65 bin: 1100101
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Iron bars can be mined using any pickaxe. If mined without a pickaxe, it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Usage[edit | edit source]
Iron bars can be used to create arrow slits when placed between a door and a solid block. This creates a small gap between the door and the iron bars which mobs can see through (and will attempt to attack the player through), and which arrows can be shot out of.
Torches cannot be placed on the top of iron bars while blocks can.
Endermen seen through iron bars will not become angry.
Arrows cannot be shot through iron bars. If shot between the gap, it will look like the arrow is floating in the gap.
Placement[edit | edit source]
Iron bars can be placed in much the same way as fences or glass panes. Before 15w31a, when placed without anything on its sides, they will appear in the shape of a from the top, but when something is placed next to it, it can also become flat, shaped, or shaped, depending on the blocks surrounding it. Now, after 15w31a, when placed without anything next to it, iron bars appear as 2x2 pixel bars.
Data values[edit | edit source]
Block state[edit | edit source]
- See also: Block states
||When true, the bars extend from the center of the block in this direction.|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
On July 11, 2011, Notch revealed two new screenshots of a stronghold (in two different brightness settings) where the bars can be clearly seen alongside other common stronghold blocks. The lighting differences have been explained a bit (though not necessarily completely correctly) by a user on the forums.
|1.8||Added iron bars.|
|1.4.2||12w32a||Zombie villagers can be cured. Putting iron bars close to the zombie villager will help speed up the process.|
|1.7.2||13w41a||Iron bars connect to glass, stained glass and glass panes.|
|1.8||?||Iron bars on top of one another will display a texture at the top/bottom joint of the two blocks.|
|Iron bars lost their side edge texture.|
|1.9||15w31a||Iron bars without any connecting blocks are now 2x2 pixels in footprint (like a •, rather than a +.)|
|The tallest obsidian pillars now have iron bars around their ender crystal.|
|15w43a||Iron bars now generate within igloo basements.|
|15w46a||Iron bars again have their side edge texture.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 2||Added iron bars.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Iron bars now spawn naturally in strongholds and villages.|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Added iron bars.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Iron Bars” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A 2x2 area made of the iron bars can make a square shaped hole big enough for the player and most mobs to fit through, but not rain, water, etc. that can be used as an easy entrance for an underwater house, and even an exit if pistons are used. Glass panes work in the same way.
- If a sign or a painting is placed on the iron bars, it appears to float in the air.
- Iron bars also prevent fire from spreading, i.e. surrounding a fire with iron bars will prevent wooden items from being lit aflame.
- Despite apparently being thin enough to do so, iron bars do not let a ghast's explosion touch the block beneath them as long as the block is protected from other angles of the explosion affecting it. This, in theory, means you should be able to use iron bars and sticky pistons to make openable/closable shutters.
- If an iron bar is connected to a block and a rail is placed on the block, the top texture of the iron bar disappears.
- While curing a Zombie Villager, iron bars placed nearby will speed up the healing process. The same happens with beds, and both these things occur in the stereotypical prison cell, encouraging players to imprison them.
- If placed on top of a single cactus, only the corners can damage.
- The player cannot shoot arrows through iron bars.
- Since iron bars are 1 block high, the player can normally jump over iron bars unlike fences.
- In the code, iron bars are known as fenceIron.