dec: 351 hex: 15F bin: 101011111
Ink Sacs are the darkest possible primary color dye.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Squids[edit | edit source]
- See also: Squid farming
Ink sacs are obtained by killing squids. A single squid will drop between one and three ink sacs upon death.
Fishing[edit | edit source]
Ink sacs can be obtained in stacks of 10 as a "junk" item from fishing.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
In the Pocket Edition, ink sacs can additionally be found in village blacksmith chests and stronghold chests.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Like all other dyes, ink sacs can be:
- Applied to sheep to dye their wool, which can then be shorn for 1–3 blocks of black wool.
- Applied to tamed wolves to dye their collars.
- Combined with gunpowder to make a firework star.
- Combined with a Firework Star to create a “fade to color” effect.
- Used to dye leather armor.
- Used to dye wool, or stain glass or hardened clay.
- Used to add patterns to banners.
Crafting ingredient[edit | edit source]
Orange Dye +
Pocket Edition only
Ink Sac +
Up to eight dyes can be added.
Ink Sac +
White Wool +
Prismarine Shard +
Hardened Clay +
Black Banner pattern
Ink Sac +
Black Banner image
Data values[edit | edit source]
Ink sacs have the ID name
|7||Light Gray Dye|
|12||Light Blue Dye|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.2||Added ink sacs.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Added the ability to dye leather armor and wolf collars.|
|1.6.1||13w19a||Stained clay can now be crafted.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||With the addition of new flowers, many secondary and tertiary dyes are now primary dyes.|
|13w41a||Stained glass can now be crafted.|
|1.8||14w30a||Added banners which can be dyed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 3||Ink sacs are now available in creative.|
|0.9.0||Ink sacs now generate in Village and stronghold chests.|
|0.11.0||build 1||Ink sacs can now be obtained from squid.|
|Ink sacs can now be obtained as a junk item from fishing.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to "Ink Sac" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the statistics menu, the item name “Ink Sac” does not appear when the cursor is hovered over its image in the statistics page. This is due to it referring to all dyes combined.