dec: 351 hex: 15F bin: 101011111
Ink sacs are the darkest possible primary color dye.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Squids[edit | edit source]
- See also: Squid farming
Ink sacs are obtained by killing squids. A single squid will drop between one and three ink sacs upon death.
Fishing[edit | edit source]
Ink sacs can be obtained as a “junk” item from fishing.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
In the Pocket Edition, ink sacs can additionally be found in village blacksmith chests and stronghold chests.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Like all other dyes, ink sacs can be:
- Applied to sheep to dye their wool, which can then be sheared for 1–3 blocks of black wool.
- Applied to tamed wolves to dye their collars.
- Combined with gunpowder to make a firework star.
- Combined with a firework star to create a “fade to color” effect.
- Used to dye leather armor.
- Used to dye wool, or stain glass or hardened clay.
- Used to add patterns to banners.
Crafting ingredient[edit | edit source]
|Up to eight dyes can be added.
Up to one of any head, a gold nugget, a feather, or a fire charge can be added.
Both the diamond and the glowstone dust can be added with any of the other ingredients.
Prismarine Shard +
Hardened Clay +
Ink Sac +
Ink Sac +
White Wool +
|Pocket Edition only|
Black Banner pattern
Ink Sac +
Black Banner image
Data values[edit | edit source]
Ink sacs have the ID name
|7||Light Gray Dye|
|12||Light Blue Dye|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.2||Added ink sacs.|
|1.3.1||12w17a||Ink sacs are now used to craft book and quills.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Added the ability to dye leather armor and wolf collars.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Ink sacs can be crafted with gunpowder to create a firework star.|
|1.6.1||13w19a||Stained clay can now be crafted.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||With the addition of new flowers, many secondary and tertiary dyes are now primary dyes.|
|13w41a||Stained glass can now be crafted.|
|1.8||14w25a||Ink sacs are now used to craft dark prismarine.|
|14w30a||Added banners which can be dyed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 3||Ink sacs are now available in creative.|
|0.9.0||Ink sacs now generate in Village and stronghold chests.|
|0.11.0||build 1||Ink sacs can now be obtained from squid.|
|Ink sacs can now be obtained as a junk item from fishing.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Ink Sac” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the statistics menu, the item name “Ink Sac” does not appear when the cursor is hovered over its image in the statistics page. This is due to it referring to all dyes combined.