The golden apple is a rare food item. They are moderately difficult to obtain, but are one of the most beneficial food items. They can be crafted, and are very rarely (~0.66% chance) found in dungeons and strongholds.
Eating a golden apple not only restores , but grants Regeneration II for 5 seconds and Absorption for 2 minutes. Unlike other food items, golden apples can be eaten even when the player is full, which will still activate the effects.
Golden apples are required in order to cure zombie villagers. While under the effects of Weakness, zombie villagers can be fed a golden apple. After roughly 3 minutes they will revert to ordinary villagers.
Enchanted golden apples are similar to the original golden apple, but are much more powerful and much more expensive to craft. They can only be obtained through crafting. Enchanted golden apples grant Regeneration V for 30 seconds, Absorption for 2 minutes, and both Resistance and Fire Resistance for 5 minutes. Enchanted Golden Apples shine purple, much like other enchanted items. They can be used for taming and breeding horses but cannot be used to cure zombie villagers.
Advantages and disadvantages
- They are the only food items that cause temporary constant health regeneration that is not dependent on the player's hunger. This is indicated by the line of hearts bobbing up and down in a wave pattern, with each full wave restoring half a heart.
- Compared with potions of regeneration, golden apples are available for fighting monsters before the player is able to brew or even go to the Nether in singleplayer (brewing requires blaze rods and nether wart, both found only in the Nether). In particular, the enchanted version provides Fire Resistance, which is handy for collecting one's first few blaze rods.
- Although standard apples have a low chance of dropping from oak leaves (0.5% per leaf block), tree farming can produce a good supply of them. Trading with villagers can get also them in quantity.
- Golden apples can be used to create a village by curing zombie villagers. If Generated Structures are turned off, this is the only way to have villagers and trade with them.
- Although they are in a sense renewable, golden apples are extremely expensive to craft. A single enchanted golden apple requires exactly 72 gold ingots (a staggering 648 gold nuggets), along with an apple.
- It takes time to eat, and the basic golden apple then takes 5 seconds to heal 4 () health points. Splash potions are a good alternative, if you have brewing capability.
|1||1||1||Enchanted Golden Apple|
Note: This video is outdated; since 13w23a, golden apples now require gold ingots and blocks of gold instead of golden nuggets and gold ingots
- An enchanted golden apple requires 72 golden ingots to craft; a normal golden apple requires 8 golden ingots to craft.
- Due to this item being able to heal the player a large amount, they are commonly found as rewards in custom adventure maps.
- As a result of its potency and usefulness in PVP, enchanted golden apples are sometimes called "god apples" or "Notch apples".
- Some servers sometimes use enchanted golden apples as a prize, or a rare item.
- Enchanted golden apples provide the highest level potion effect thus far: Regeneration V.
- Golden apples are the only foods that can still be eaten when the player's hunger bar is full.
- A total of 180 ( × 90) health points can be restored by eating an enchanted golden apple. The healing speed is enough to endure nearly any damage from mobs except the Void.
- While the 1.4.2 update removed the dark borders from many food item sprites, strangely, the golden apple remains unchanged.
|February 27, 2010||Golden Apples added. They healed a full 20 ( × 10) health points, making them the single best food in the entire game, at the expense of being near unobtainable.|
|1.8||Due to the addition of hunger, Golden Apples were changed so that they restored instead of 20 ( × 10) health points, but also gave Regeneration for 30 seconds.|
|1.0.0||1.9pre2||Golden Apples gained a purple glow when viewed from the player's inventory, and its tooltip was changed from the standard white to a magenta color. However, Potions of Regeneration were also added, the effects of which lasted longer than that of the Golden Apple.|
|1.1||11w48a||Golden Apples became easier to craft. Standard apples became able to very rarely drop from Oak Leaves, meaning that players no longer have to venture into Strongholds/Dungeons to find one. This caused the golden apple to decrease in value but also made them easier to obtain.|
|?||Golden Apples were changed so that they restored and only gave 4 seconds of Regeneration. Their crafting recipe was also modified, requiring 8 Gold Nuggets instead of 8 Blocks of Gold to craft. Although its natural spawn is rare, it is easier to obtain through crafting. With more common availability of apples and a cost of 1.24% their former cost in gold, they are for the first time a practical source of healing in Survival.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Added Enchanted Golden Apple. Highly resembling the Golden Apple prior to 1.1, it has Regeneration IV (30 seconds), Resistance (5 minutes), and Fire Resistance (5 minutes). Crafted with 8 Blocks of Gold, it shines like an Enchanted item and has a purple tooltip instead of the standard Golden Apple's blue one. The standard Golden Apple remained unchanged.|
|1.4.2||12w32a||Golden Apples can be fed to a Zombie Villager with the Weakness debuff causing them to revert to Villagers after a delay of about 3 minutes.|
|1.6.1||13w23a||Normal golden apples use 8 Gold Ingots instead of 8 Gold Nuggets, and the Regeneration effect was slowed down.|
|13w23b||Normal golden apples give the player Health Boost for 1:30 and Regeneration II for 0:10. This temporarily gives the player 4 () extra base health points, and it heals a total of 4 () health points.|
|13w24b||The Health Boost effect was replaced with Absorption, lasting 1:30. Enchanted golden apples gave the player Absorption as well, and Regeneration IV was increased to Regeneration V.|
|1.8||14w06a||Crafting an Enchanted Golden Apple will give you the achievement "Overpowered".|
|TU1||Added golden apples.|
|TU5||Due to the addition of hunger, Golden Apples were changed so that they restored instead of 20 ( × 10) health points, but also gave Regeneration for 30 seconds.|