dec: 14 hex: E bin: 1110
Gold ore is a mineral block commonly found beside stone blocks deep underground, usually in a vein of 4-8 blocks (sometimes up to 16 if two veins happen to spawn together, and as few as 1 if the block that was supposed to be gold ore is occupied by a generated structure). It only appears in the bottom 32 layers of the map. From levels 2-29, gold ore's occurrence underground is at 0.1437%. On average there are 8.2 gold ores per chunk. It can be mined using an iron or diamond pickaxe. Gold ore can be smelted in a furnace to create gold ingots.
|Ingredients||Input » Output|
|0.0.14a||Gold ore added. In Classic it could be found at much higher elevations, sometimes even at the surface and being even more frequent than any other ore besides diamond.|
|0.26||Gold ore was recolored.|
|Mining gold ore produces gold blocks.|
|1.6||The "ore quadrant" bug, causing different quadrants of the map to have more or less ore, was fixed.|
|1.8||The maximum layer for gold was reduced by 2, along with some other ores.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Smelting gold ore, along with other ores, blocks and items, gives the player experience orbs when taking the item out of the furnace. One stack of gold ore will give the player approximately 3 levels of experience.|
Issues relating to "Gold Ore" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- Gold Ore is the only ore that cannot be mined by a pickaxe of its own material; a gold pickaxe cannot be used to mine Gold Ore. Gold tools are only faster at mining than other tools; they are not stronger.
- Gold Ore, along with Redstone Ore and Diamond Ore, can be found in Pocket Edition - and along with Diamond and Iron Ore, gold can be mined and made into gold tools, as smelting was added.
- In Pocket Edition, gold ore seems to be much rarer than on the PC, which players may find annoying because gold is needed in large quantities for the Nether Reactor. This is probably due to the fact that caverns reveal much gold in the PC, while there are no caves in Pocket Edition.
- Gold Ore is about 5 times rarer than Iron Ore at the right elevations (layer 1~32)
- Gold ore appears to use the same color as torches.