|This page is a work in progress.
Refrain from making major edits to it until this page is finished.
Flying is the most versatile form of transportation and found only in Creative mode, although third-party mods can enable flying in Survival mode. Flying makes the player move at around 10.8 meters/second (38.88 km/h), which is approximately 250% of the normal walking speed, being 4.3 meters/second. When flying, friction will be reduced to a level equivalent to when on ice. If a player is flying in fluids they will not sink or slow down.
Flying is not limited by any processes such as food depletion, which limits sprinting. Flying mode can be toggled by double-tapping the "jump" key and can be activated at any altitude. The player can gain or lose altitude while flying by pressing the "jump"(default space) or "sneak"(default shift keys) keys, respectively. Flying mode is automatically disabled if the player lowers onto a surface while in the air. Flying increases the player's field of view by 10. A way to tell if you are flying or walking is to look at the sun or moon, which will zoom in or out during the mode change. Flying is useful in combat because the player can not only take its victim by surprise, but can also deal critical hits if the last time they changed altitude, they moved down.
In the Pocket Edition, the player ascends or descends by sliding from the center button to the up or down button, respectively.
Flying is usually not enabled on vanilla servers, so if the player is in Survival mode and is in the air for an abnormally long time, they will be kicked.
|1.3.1||12w17a||The player no longer experiences the decrease in speed seen in Survival mode when traveling through fluids.|
|1.3.1||Removed a bug allowing players to fly in Survival Mode.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
Issues relating to "Flying" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- It is possible to sprint in flight by using the LCtrl button. This gives a minimal speed boost.
- This can be used to obtain the highest FOV setting by changing the FOV to Quake Pro, drinking a Speed II Potion of Swiftness, sprinting, and flying. After a while, however, the speed will return to normal.
- You can also sneak while flying by, while in midair, sneaking and holding the space bar.
- If the player switches from Creative mode to Survival mode ingame while flying by using mods (ex. Too Many Items), the player will continue to fly, but the second the player hits the ground, the player will be hurt or killed due to the accumulated fall damage.
- If the player goes high enough while flying in Creative mode, the sun can be seen through the fog even if the player looks down; the player can also see the clouds at this time.
- If the player is flying via mods in survival mode, there is a possible glitch that makes you take damage when flying downward at a speed of 5.2 or above.