Per catch: 1-3
dec: 346 hex: 15A bin: 101011010
Fishing Rods are tools that are mainly used for obtaining fish.
The durability of the two fishing rods is added together, plus an extra 5% durability.
Enchanted fishing rods can be obtained as a "treasure" item from fishing, and unenchanted ones as a "junk" item.
Fisherman villagers sell one enchanted fishing rod for 7-8 emeralds as their second tier trade. The enchantments will be the same as might be obtained from an enchantment table at levels 5–19.
The fishing rod's main use is for fishing.
Fishing Rod +
The fishing rod must not be damaged to craft the carrot on a stick.
The fishing rod can be used to hook mobs and other entities, the fishing rod can then be reeled in, which drags them towards the player at a fast rate. This counts as an attack, so entities will react as if attacked. Fishing rods deal damage to the ender dragon, but no damage to other mobs. Secondary damage can come from fall distance if the entity is hooked from sufficient height (though some mobs do not take fall damage). Enemies can also be dragged into lava. Reeling in while hooked to an entity will cost 3 points of durability. Endermen and ghast's fireballs can be hooked with the fishing rod.
The fishing rod can be used to grab onto boats and minecarts and pull them towards the player, but a boat will often break in the process. The hook can also be used to activate wooden pressure plates or even knock down paintings from a distance.
Using a fishing rod while in a minecart aimed at the minecart's front wall will cause the minecart to stop immediately and the player to exit it. No damage is done to either player or cart.
A fishing rod can receive the following enchantments:
|1.1.1||Fishing rods were added. They had no function and were stackable.|
|1.2.0||Fishing rods were updated to be able to catch fish from any body of water.|
|1.6||Fishing rods are no longer stackable, stacking rods would allow the players to change the damage values of any rods stacked to the first rod. This could be exploited to have fishing rods that lasted forever.|
|There has been a sprite for the fishing rod without the line in items.png, it was unused.|
|1.7||The sprite is now used when the bobber has been cast to show that it is no longer on the rod. Before this update, the stick texture was used for this purpose.|
|1.0||Added sounds for fishing rods.|
|1.3.1||12w17a||Fishing rods now have infinite durability in creative mode.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Added carrot on a stick, which can be crafted using a fishing rod and carrot.|
|12w37a||Fishing now gives the player XP with each fish caught.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Fishing rods can now be enchanted with unbreaking using enchanted books.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Fishing rods have 2 new enchantments: lure and luck of the sea, and can now also be enchanted in an enchantment table.|
|Enchanted fishing rods can now be obtained as a "treasure" item from fishing, and unenchanted ones as a "junk" item.|
|TU1||Added fishing rods.|
Issues relating to "Fishing Rod" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Skeletons can be pulled into their own arrows.
- When casting the rod into a portal, the bobber may stick to it like a normal block, go through and travel in the nether, or stop on the next block behind the portal.
- If you stand directly in front of a column and cast your line onto a block above you, the line will fall downwards.
- If the bobber hits a painting, the painting will break.
- If you cast the line into an End Portal, the line and bobber will disappear.
- The player can get into bed after casting a line, and the line will remain in the water till the player wakes up and reels it in.
- If the player has not yet gotten the Cow Tipper achievement and catches a piece of leather with a fishing rod, said achievement will be granted.
- The fishing rod's bobber entity is named "unknown."