From Minecraft Wiki
No, but catches fire from lava
dec: 107 hex: 6B bin: 01101011
It takes one wood to make a fence gate.
- Fence Gates must be placed on a block, but will remain in place if the block is then removed. When placed, fence gates will automatically face towards the player, regardless of any other fences around it. However, any fences adjacent to a fence gate will still connect to it. If placed and not connected to anything else, a fence gate will appear to be floating. Nether Brick Fences and Cobblestone Walls will connect to Fence Gates. Iron Bars and Glass Panes will not, but a lone block of either will coincidentally butt up against it.
- There are no double fence gates like double doors, but if you place two fence gates beside each other, they will act like one. Although visually there is a center pole in such a double gate, it does not obstruct the player. Fence gates can also be placed on top of one another by clicking on a block to their side. Such stacked gates open and close individually.
- Like fences, fence gates count as one and a half blocks tall for the player and mob collisions, and one block tall for all other purposes. This means that when closed, the player cannot jump over a fence gate.
- Fence gates can be opened through Redstone input (including pressure plates), or by right-clicking, and always open away from the player. A gate which is open but not powered will close on a block update. This includes updates either from an adjacent block changing state or being destroyed, and from random block ticks. Note that losing redstone power will automatically close the gate, as with doors.
- A fence gate can be opened both inwards and outwards.
- Like doors and trapdoors, the fence gate does not allow the passage of water or lava, whether open or closed. Fence gates also share the same open/close sounds as doors and trapdoors.
- Open fence gates will easily allow boats and minecarts through, but minecarts have to be travelling fast enough to reach the track on the other side of the fence gate, because fence gates cannot be placed on top of minecart tracks.
- Hostile mobs recognize the fence gate as a block and will not attack you through it unless they have already seen you.
- Unlike wooden doors, fence gates can neither be opened by villagers nor broken by zombies.
|Fence gates were first mentioned on Get Satisfaction then confirmed by Jeb on Twitter.|
|1.8||Added fence gate.|
|1.0.0RC1||New fence gate sounds.|
|1.1||Added response to redstone, and closing on block updates.|
Issues relating to "Fence Gate" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- When a fence gate is placed on top of another gate, the player can place a painting over the gates while they are open. This creates a hidden door. This also works with Wooden/Iron Doors.
- If a fence gate is placed on top of a slab, a chicken can pass beneath it.
- The player cannot operate a fence gate if the player is sneaking and holding a block/item.