Spruce, Birch, Jungle, Acacia, Dark Oak
Fences are wooden wall blocks that cannot be jumped over.
Fences are broken most quickly with an axe.
|Block||Hardness||Tool||Breaking time (seconds)|
Only oak fences spawn naturally:
- Fences form the uprights for the supports in abandoned mine shafts, where they are plentiful.
- They are also found in villages, where they appear in tables, lampposts, and even enclosures on roofs or behind buildings.
- Fences occur in library rooms of strongholds as railings and chandeliers. In the latter case, there are many torches attached to them.
- Fences appear on the "patios" and in the front window of witch huts.
While fences appear to be a single block tall, they are actually 1.5 blocks tall, meaning most mobs cannot jump over them. They can also be used as a form of window, since the player can see through the gaps in the fence.
A fence occupies the center space of blocks and automatically connects to any solid block that is placed next to it. Since their hitbox is smaller than a single block, it will allow a mob in the block to breathe even when submerged.
Fences can be used to hitch mobs with a lead.
When used as a fuel in a furnace, a fence lasts 15 seconds (or 1.5 items).
|1.0.17||Added fences. Nothing could be placed on top of them.|
|1.3||Fixed standing on top of fences causing players to get stuck and crashing the server in SMP.|
|1.6||Fences made flammable and visibility improved|
|1.7||Any block, including torches and other fences, now able to be placed on fences.|
|1.8||Axes break fences faster.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre2||Fence collision box reduced.|
|Fences now connect to solid blocks.|
|Beta 1.9-pre5||Fence selection area changed to match its collision box.|
|Fences no longer prevent farmland from decaying when placed below farmland.|
|1.5||Fence corners now have a smaller collision box, allowing players to fall through the gap in the middle of four fences placed in a square.|
|1.6.1||13w16a||Mobs can be tied to fences.|
|1.8||14w32b||Fences have a new crafting recipe, producing 3 fences instead of 2.|
|Fences now vary in appearance based on the planks used to make them. The recipe now requires 4 plank blocks of the same species, but fence blocks of different woods can connect.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Fences now naturally spawn in strongholds, abandoned mine shafts and villages.|
|Added smooth lighting to fences.|
|TU3||Fences are now stackable.|
|TU5||Pressure plates are placeable on fences.|
|TU6||Fence collision box decreased to size of fence block.|
Issues relating to "Fence" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- If a carpet is placed on top of a fence, a player can jump onto the carpet, while mobs cannot (and won't even try). This is safer than a fence gate that might be left open, but it also can't be opened to mobs short of breaking it.
- If you try to use an item with a right-click function while looking at a fence, the item will not perform its function but will instead appear to be attempting to mine the fence. The fence will never break from this "mining".
- Getting hit by someone else (or shooting yourself with a knockback enchanted bow while sprinting forwards) while in midair can cause the knockback to propel you over the fence.
Naturally occurring fences in a village.