Eye of Ender
dec: 381 hex: 17D bin: 101111101
To locate end portals (and the strongholds that house them):
- Pressing use while holding an eye of ender will cause it to fly in the direction of the nearest stronghold, traveling through any blocks necessary, and leave a trail of purple particles in its wake.
- In the PC edition, the eye will lead to the portal room when the stronghold is first generated in the world. If the world is exited and reloaded, the eye will instead lead to the spiral staircase that was the first room generated.
- In the Xbox 360 Edition and PlayStation 3 Edition, a thrown eye will lead to a stronghold, but not exactly to an end portal.
- While far away from an end portal, the ender eye always travels upwards to offer an easily-visible indication of the horizontal direction the player must travel.
- When the player gets close to the end portal's horizontal coordinates, the eye floats in a more precise direction that takes the y-axis into account. This often means the eye will travel downwards, to indicate the player is above a Portal and must mine downwards.
- After two or three seconds of travel, the eye floats in the air briefly, then either falls (becoming collectable again), or shatters in mid-air. The Eye has a 1:5 chance of shattering.
- The Eye of Ender's flying function only works in the Overworld. It does nothing in the Nether, the End, or in worlds with no strongholds.
Activating end portals
Once an end portal is found, eyes of ender will also be required in order to activate it. End portals require a total of 12 eyes of ender in order to activate, though they will generally already contain 1-5 eyes naturally. Eyes can be placed in empty End Portal frame blocks by pressing use on them until the entire ring of 12 is filled, thereby activating the Portal.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre3||First added Eye of Ender, which had no use.|
|In older worlds, generated before 1.9-pre3, the eyes may mislead you to a place where there isn't a stronghold at all. This is most likely because the eyes lead to where a Stronghold should be based on the seed, and seeds generate worlds differently in older versions. Therefore, if you saved the coordinates the eye traveled to in an old world and generated a new world with the same seed, you could travel to those same coordinates and find a stronghold.|
|Beta 1.9-pre4||Each Eye could now be placed in a portal block or used to home in on a Stronghold. Jeb demonstrated the new uses for an Eye in his livestream. An End Portal within a Stronghold could be seen in the stream with two Eyes inserted into blocks.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Eyes of ender can be bought from villagers.|
|TU7||Added eyes of ender.|
Issues relating to "Eye of Ender" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- When in 3rd person view, the eyes of ender fly out from the player's feet instead of their hand.