Spawning[edit | edit source]
The ender dragon only spawns in the End. It does not have a spawn egg, and thus can be spawned only through commands or natural generation.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Once killed, the ender dragon will appear to have beams of light spontaneously erupting from its body. It will then explode, dropping enough experience to bring a player from no experience to level 78 (12000 - 10 drops of 1000 experience, one drop of 2000 experience).
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The ender dragon will destroy any blocks it comes into contact with, except obsidian, end stone, bedrock, command blocks and barriers. Instead of destroying them, the ender dragon passes through them. When hit, an Ender Dragon makes roaring, growling and snarling noises. The flapping of its wings can also be heard as the dragon moves. Unlike endermen, ender dragons don't take damage from water, nor do they teleport.
The ender dragon has a purple health bar that appears at the top of the player's screen. This bar indicates the remaining health of the resident ender dragon. Each End dimension houses a single ender dragon whose health is periodically healed by nearby ender crystals. Destroying an ender crystal while the ender dragon is being healed by it (indicated by a series of circles appearing between the ender crystal and the ender dragon) will cause the ender dragon to take 10 () damage.
The ender dragon flies around, randomly flying at players or arbitrary points above the End island. Specifically,
- If any non-spectator players are in the End, 50% chance of targeting one player at random.
- Otherwise, target a random point (at least 10 blocks away from the dragon's current position) in a 120×120×50 cuboid centered on 0,95,0.
It will not target other mobs, but should it hit an enderman, the enderman will turn hostile towards the ender dragon. Blazes, wolves, and zombie pigmen will also turn hostile to the ender dragon. Whenever the dragon finds itself nearer than 10 blocks to is current target or more than 150 blocks away, it will choose a new target. When damaged it will target a point just behind itself, causing it to turn away and choose a new target.
Any living entities hit by the dragon's wings will be thrown through the air, sometimes to fatal heights or off the island. Living entities hit by the dragon's head will take 10 () damage. Neither of these effects is applied for 1⁄2 second after the dragon takes damage.
The ender dragon takes 1⁄4 normal damage + 1 when hit in any part except the head. Therefore eggs, snowballs, and other attacks that normally deal no damage will deal 1 () damage to the ender dragon when not hitting it in the head.
Console Edition[edit | edit source]
In the Console Edition, the ender dragon's behavior is slightly different. While flying, the ender dragon fires ender charges, which cannot be deflected, at the player. After flying for approximately 30 seconds, the ender dragon will come down and hover over the unfinished bedrock portal, and remain there for another 30 seconds. The Ender Dragon will spew out "Ender acid", which deals damage, onto nearby players. Players may continually strike it with a weapon at this time. The Ender Dragon also fights endermen during this time, implying the reason for returning to the "nest" is to stop the growing clusters of endermen from stealing the egg.
Also, instead of the portal being spawned underneath the Ender Dragon's death, it is spawned in the middle of the island as soon as you enter the End. However, until the Ender Dragon is defeated, it will remain deactivated, and the Dragon Egg will not be on its podium. Until it has been killed, this is used by the Ender Dragon as a nest, where it will hover over it and attack the player with "Ender acid".
Unlike the PC version, the ender dragon cannot go through bedrock or obsidian. Also, two of the obsidian pillars have iron bars surrounding the crystal. This prevents the player from shooting it from a distance with a bow, ensuring the player has to climb the pillars.
It is also aggravated in Creative mode and still shoots ender charges at the player. The ender dragon is immune to fire, lava, all enchantments except Sharpness or Power, splash potions, Cacti, TNT, and wither skulls, but only take damage from swords and bows, in all editions.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Prerequisites||Actual requirements (if different)||Version restriction||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
||The End.||Defeat the Ender Dragon||The End?||Enter the end exit portal while in the End.||None||40G||Gold|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|June 18, 2011||Originally, dragons were a possible planned mob, hinted at by Notch during the Spider Jockey update.|
|He also mentioned that dragon lairs may be an addition in the video description of this video They remained a potential work-in-progress until the Ender Dragon was announced.|
|June 18, 2011||Notch has stated in the past that if dragons are added, they will not be mountable as it would put too much pressure on SMP servers.|
|September 1, 2011||Notch stated that "dragons will be added eventually."|
|October 7, 2011||Notch revealed the existence of the Ender Dragon.|
|October 10, 2011||Notch released a video showing a small clip of the End that also shows the Ender Dragon fly into the top of the frame. Brightened version here|
|October 11, 2011||A player named stropping_notch asked Jeb if Dragon riding is an idea, to which he replied it is. It is not clear whether this means it is an idea under consideration or not, however, or whether it would apply to the Red Dragons or the Ender Dragon.|
|October 12, 2011||In a Reddit post Notch also said, "They will be different dragons. The Ender Dragon will probably become larger, and the ones in the main world will be this size, won't go through terrain, and will be red because dragons are red."|
|October 12, 2011||Notch stated in a twitter post that "Dragons have 6 limbs", consisting of 2 wings, and 4 legs.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre4||Added Ender Dragon. The Ender Dragon existed in the code, mostly functional, however the dragon had not been enabled ingame yet and players were unable to damage it. Certain mods would allow the spawning of the Ender Dragon, but again, no physical interactions were available.|
|Beta 1.9-pre5||Added the ability for players to damage Ender Dragons. They required mods or a mob-spawner to be brought into the game however. The ender dragon's health was changed to 1 () to test its new death animation.|
|Beta 1.9-pre6||Officially implemented Ender Dragons into the game. This includes a single Ender Dragon as a boss battle, spawning naturally when the player first enters the End.|
|April 28, 2012||Jeb mentioned that he wouldn't be adding any more boss mobs until he makes the Ender Dragon "more fun first". Despite this, the Wither was added before any major changes were made to the Ender Dragon.|
|1.3.1||Fixed the bug where after being damaged once, Ender Dragons would do no contact damage.|
|Experience drop reduced from 20,000 to 12,000|
|1.4.2||12w34b||"Boss Health" now says "Ender Dragon".|
|1.4.2||Before this update, Ender Dragon used the same damage sound from the Player. Ender Dragons now have their own sound.|
|1.5||Fixed a bug where swords take no damage when used on the Ender Dragon.|
|1.5.1||13w11a||Before this snapshot, the gamerule mobGriefing doesn't prevent the Ender Dragon from destroying blocks when they fly through them. Now, mobGriefing from the
|2013 Music Update||A music track now accompanies the Ender Dragon boss fight.|
|1.8||14w20a||The Ender Dragon no longer breaks barriers.|
|TU9||Added the Ender Dragon. This Ender dragon has two exclusive new attacks (Ender Acid & Ender Charges) and a new behavior being that she will float over the exit portal spewing out the acid towards the player for a short time then fly off again.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to "Ender Dragon" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Name tags cannot be put on an ender dragon.
- The Xbox avatar item 'Ender Dragon Pet' has the description 'A cuter, friendlier version of his bigger, less playful Minecraft sister.'- revealing that the ender dragon is female.
- The ender dragon's hitbox is larger than the ender dragon itself, causing players to be pushed away from it.
- If you spawn the Ender dragon in a world and turn the difficulty to peaceful, the dragon will stay and not disappear, but will not be able to hurt the player.
- If you kill a spawned Ender dragon in the overworld, it will create a portal to the real End, where there will be a separate Ender dragon.
- Ender dragons can push other Ender dragons around.
- Ender dragons will attempt to attack players in creative mode, though this has no effect.
- When spawned in the overworld using the
/summoncommand, players in creative mode at a certain height force Ender Dragons to flap their wings wildly.
- In spectator mode, you cannot view the perspective of the Ender Dragon, unlike any other mob.
[edit | edit source]
- The name "ender dragon" was first made known through a tweet by Notch reading "raqreqentba", which could be decoded using the ROT13 cypher, translating to "enderdragon".
- On Reddit, Notch referred to the Ender dragon as a she, and suggested her name to be "Jean?" in the same manner he called the Player "Steve?".
- Dinnerbone later stated that he thinks the name is officially "Jean?"
- Notch joked about how Minecraft was "going next gen" when deadmau5 mentioned this.
- Before it was textured, Notch reported that he was afraid to texture it as it was a complicated model. In the end, the dragon model was so complex Notch stated that he gave up making the texture manually and wrote a texture packer tool to aid him in adding the texture to the model. Notch also uploaded the code for the tool so others could use the pack.
- In terms of how difficult the ender dragon is to defeat, Notch tweeted that his design guideline for the dragon is "[If] I can beat it at all, it's too easy."
- Notch has uploaded a video showing why Ender dragons will not spawn in the main world, as they would destroy any block they come into contact with.
- On Reddit, Notch explained why ender dragons destroy matter.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A bunch of Ender dragons and withers fighting each other, and the Ender dragons are seeming to be winning the battle.
The ender dragon's death inside netherrack
References[edit | edit source]
- https://twitter.com/notch/status/122978062143979522 Twitter; texture packer
- http://pastebin.com/0AcY6YV2 link to the texture packer