End Portal (block)
dec: 120 hex: 78 bin: 1111000
End Portal (End Portal Frame in Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 Editions) is a block that can be found in Strongholds. It resembles an End Stone with a decorative bluish-green top, with sides decorated in hollow rounded rectangles with the same color as the top. They are found in a 12 block ring shape within a room over a pool of lava and a staircase containing a Silverfish spawner.
An interesting quirk of the end portal frame (and the monster spawner) is that they are transparent in their rendering only - unlike all other transparent blocks, they can have torches and redstone placed on them, conduct a redstone current, will suffocate mobs, and more.
Some of the blocks have an Eye of Ender inserted into it. Using other Eyes of Ender on the rest of the blocks inserts them to the top of the blocks. Once an Eye of Ender has been inserted in all 12 Frame blocks, then the Ender Portal will activate and the player can pass through to access The End. Additionally, like Bedrock, the frame blocks are only destructible in Creative Mode. Since they are transparent, they can act as indestructible ceilings that let light through the top (similar to Bedrock, except transparent).
Since snapshot 13w18, End Portal blocks will output a redstone comparator signal when an eye is present, making it possible to use them for example as locks in adventure mode.
|1.9pre3||End Portal Frames used a different texture and emitted a blue shaded light at level 15.|
|When the frame was spawned the frame blocks had a cracked texture to them , right clicking on the blocks with an Eye of Ender would 'repair' them, causing the texture to change to a clean version of the block .|
|Although it could not be mined, an explosion would cause the block to drop. They also had no tooltip, indicating that them dropping at all was a bug.|
|1.9pre4||The End Portal Frame now has a different texture and can no longer be broken with TNT.|
|1.3.1||12w23a||The End Portal Frame is available in the Creative inventory or with the pick block option, with the tooltip End Portal.|
Issues relating to "End Portal (block)" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Like Bedrock, End Portal Frames are indestructible without the use of Creative mode or mods. When broken in such a way while activated, the portal itself will not be deactivated, unlike Nether Portals. This is probably due to End Portals not being meant to be destroyed, while Nether Portals can be destroyed, as they are made of Obsidian.
- When broken, these blocks make the same breaking noise as glass blocks.
- While not readily apparent from a visual appearance of the End Portal Frame, there is a "front face" to the block which must face inward as it is being placed on a map in order for the End Portal to be created when the Eye of Ender is placed in the frame. While End Portal Frames can be placed in random directions and the portal will activate, the final block must be "facing" inward if it is the final Eye of Ender to be placed into the frame.
- Because there are only three Strongholds in every world, there are only 36 of these blocks in each map. (12 in Xbox 360 Edition)
- End Portal Blocks, when placed in the right configuration, do activate in Creative Mode.
- End Portals, strangely enough, do not activate in the End.
- Even though End Portal Blocks are made of end stone, and the end stone can be destroyed, the end portal blocks are immune to any damage whatsoever (the only exception is when you break it in creative)