dec: 129 hex: 81 bin: 10000001
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Emerald ore is only generated in extreme hills biomes (which actually contain more emerald ore chunks than diamond ore chunks). Due to the nature of the generation algorithm, it may be found a short distance into adjacent biomes, but always within the same chunk as an extreme hills biome, for example in river biomes which cross through them. It attempts to generate 3-8 times per each chunk, generating anywhere between layers 4 and 32, meaning it can occur as high up as gold can.
In a world there are about 0.2 emerald ores per chunk. It will only generate in locations which would have otherwise been stone - it is thus possible for as few as 0 to 2 emeralds to generate in a chunk. Found as individual blocks, rather than veins, it can be encountered more commonly than gold, which has a similar range.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Emerald ore drops 1 emerald and 3-7 experience when mined with an iron pickaxe or better. Mining with a Fortune enchanted pickaxe will increase possible yields by 1 per level ( 1-4 emeralds per ore with level III). If mined with any other tool, it drops 5-7 experience.
Smelting ingredient[edit | edit source]
|Emerald||Emerald Ore +
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.3.1||12w21a||On May 21, 2012, the week before the release of 12w21a, Jeb released a screenshot of himself testing the trading system. At this time, what would become emerald ore was ruby ore. For the release of 12w21a, the block was changed to an emerald ore. The texture for emerald ore remained unchanged, as Jeb forgot to commit the new texture in the snapshot. As this item was not announced before the snapshot was released, most translations call emerald "diamond." Emerald Ore generates in veins of up to 10 blocks.|
|12w21b||The texture was corrected from to . The previous ruby texture remains as "ruby.png". Translations of emerald as diamond were also corrected. An analysis of a 500×500 Extreme Hills biome with MCedit gave the following ore distributions:
|12w22a||Emerald ore would have no longer generated naturally. This was due to the large number of complaints by users about emerald ore's rarity, despite Jeb's wishes for it to only be a "nice find." If this change had occurred, it would have still been available in the Creative mode menu. However, Jeb eventually decided against it and added emerald ore back into natural generation after more community response. Jeb later decided to keep emeralds spawning as he thought it would be a "nice surprise"; Emerald ore now only generates in veins of 1. Because of this, it is much more practical to obtain emeralds through trading.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added emerald ore.|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||Added emerald ore.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Emerald Ore” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Emeralds are used as the core currency in villages. They can also be obtained by trading a specified item for an emerald.
- Even though emerald ore is rarer than diamond ore, emerald ore is generally found more often in extreme hills biomes than diamond ore, as the emerald ore blocks are generated in a more scattered fashion.
- In the Pocket Edition, emerald ore can be mined with a stone pickaxe.
- It is possible to have two or more emerald ore blocks generate adjacent to each other, though this is very rare.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The first image of the trading system released by Jeb. The emerald ore can be seen in the top right-hand corner with the original texture
A comparison of the occurrence of emerald ore to the occurrence of diamond ore
References[edit | edit source]
- Emerald ore In Minecraft 1.3.2, emerald ore generated just outside an extreme hills biome but within the same chunk as it.
- snapshot 12w21a/b lang/en_US.lang: tile.oreRuby.name=Ruby Ore
- https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/207119318612320256 & https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/207120954474762240