Desert temples (also known as Pyramids) are generated structures.
Desert temples naturally generate in desert biomes. Desert temples always spawn with their floor at y=64.
In the center of the temple's ground floor is a single block of blue stained clay. Underneath this stained clay is a 'booby-trapped' hidden chamber with four chests that can each contain very valuable loot. The trap consists of a stone pressure plate (located directly under the blue stained clay), connected to a 3x3x1 grid of TNT.
Desert temples look gray on maps, similar to bare stone, but with a distinctive shape.
Each chest contains 2–6 stacks of items, chosen from the following list. Chance listed is per stack, not for the chest as a whole.
Iron Horse Armor
Golden Horse Armor
Diamond Horse Armor
Enchanted Book[note 1]
- Enchanted books in the same chest will have the same enchantments. Enchantment probabilities are the same as a level-30 enchantment on an enchantment table, but the chance of multiple enchantments is not reduced.
|1.3.1||12w21a||Added desert temples.|
|1.4.6||12w50a||Enchanted books now spawn in desert temple chests.|
|1.8||14w03a||Desert temples now spawn with stained clay instead of wool.|
|TU14||Added desert temples.|
Issues relating to "Desert temple" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- The desert temple's basement is 21 blocks by 21 blocks.
- The orange symbols on the outside resemble the Ancient Egyptian symbol for Life, an Ankh. 
- A desert temple is constructed from:
- 3,078 sandstone blocks
- 184 smooth sandstone blocks
- 39 chiseled sandstone blocks
- 54 blocks of orange stained clay
- 16 sandstone stairs
- 9 TNT blocks
- 4 chests
- 2 sandstone slabs
- 1 block of blue stained clay
- 1 stone pressure plate
- It has a rare chance of generating improperly causing some blocks to be lost or added.
- As there is no light in the lower chamber, mobs can spawn inside and trigger the TNT trap, destroying the chests and loot before any player can reach it. Also, rarely a lava lake might generate next to TNT, potentially setting the trap off as well.
- A desert temple will not spawn fully if spawned partially on water. When spawned on lakes, they are only half-generated.
- The top hole in the temple's ceiling is almost always generated above ground, so buried temples will be accessible, but fall damage is likely.
- Ankh on Wikipedia.