The demo mode is a demo version of Minecraft for users who have not purchased the game yet and would like to try it out first. Demo mode is very similar in functionality to the outdated PC Gamer Minecraft demo.
You can play the demo by registering an account, and clicking "play the demo" to play in the browser, or download the Minecraft game client (launcher) and log into your non-premium Minecraft account, then clicking the option to play the demo mode. This version of the game is 100 minutes long, or five in-game days. Not only is this useful to see if you will enjoy the game, but it is a great way to make sure your PC can handle the game as well.
The following restrictions apply when playing the game in demo mode:
- Only one preset world ("Demo_World") with the same seed ("North Carolina") can be played. Any world generation options, such as the world type, seed and structures, are not available.
- Survival is the only available game mode (without level.dat editors or using /gamemode when opening the world to LAN.).
- Multiplayer is disabled (but players can open the game to LAN).
- The game time is limited to five days (1 hour and 40 minutes real time). After the time runs out, players can still navigate though the world, but not interact with it. Resetting the demo world also resets the demo timer.
Because the geography of the demo world never changes, users can post the locations of various landmarks. These can help act as a "guide" for new Minecrafters who are exploring the demo.
- There is an abandoned mineshaft at X: -307, Y: 27, Z: -1127.
- There is a village at X:-955, Y:69, Z:-1200
- There is a stronghold at X:-33, Y:39, Z:-981
- Abandoned mineshaft treasure carts *(dig straight down from coordinates):
1.) -1190 63 -1428 = melon seeds 2.) -1590 65 -1331 = diamond 3.) -1755 73 -1019 = melon seeds
- Desert Pyramids *(be careful in treasure room under floor to not set of TNT booby-trap!):
1.) -420 720 -921 2.) -1139 65 -1957 3.) -2822 65 -1234 *(partially buried)
1.) -943 65 -1221 = medium desert village 2.) -1652 73 -1176 = large plains village (with blacksmith) 3.) -2902 71 -919 = small plains village on lake
|1.3.1||12w16a||Demo mode added. During the snapshot releases, minecraft.jar must be launched directly with
|1.3.2||Users can play the demo mode in the browser.|
|1.6.2||The latest launcher version (1.3.4) allows players who have not yet bought Minecraft to play the game's demo.|
- If you start a LAN world, you can turn cheats on and use /gamemode 1 or 2 to use Creative Mode and Adventure Mode.
- If you have the launcher, and do not wish to type in your username and password, you can login with no email and password.
- You can use mods in Demo mode.
- There was a way to have unlimited time. To do this you had to set time to 0 and the time would reset. This happened because the time of the demo was the same as the time in minecraft. However, this was later fixed.
- Servers can be started with the --demo flag (This is technically what the launcher does). Everyone who joins the server will see the demo message.
- Maps can be played if the map is renamed "Demo_World".
- Attempting to play the demo mode (by adding the -demo argument in the profile settings) with a premium Minecraft account will result in a "Could not create Java Virtual Machine" error, as the -demo argument doesn't get recognized.
The contents of the bonus chest.